Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***Spoilers UFC 129: St.Pierre v Shields Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,680 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

And fight of the Night goes to......the brawl in the crowd?????

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/81478332/?lt=em

This vid is getting taken off youtube fairly quick, UFC not too happy about it. Shocked at the lack of security, I know its a big venue and everyone shouting but still. One guy got completely busted up. Hate watching this kind of stuff, one guy on the ground while others just jumping on him and then dopes cheering them on. Notice all the Affliction & TapOut tees :rolleyes: but was funny when one Canadian says 'That was awesome Budday' haha

Fromvert wrote: »
    I'd say it's more to do with the Black House lads trying to land some roles in some of Seagal's films.

I heard he's teaching Munoz this special takedown where you grip the opponent by only one leg, I've heard it being called a single leg takedown but Seagal won't release the mechanics of the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

sheehy83 wrote: »

This vid is getting taken off youtube fairly quick, UFC not too happy about it. Shocked at the lack of security, I know its a big venue and everyone shouting but still. One guy got completely busted up. Hate watching this kind of stuff, one guy on the ground while others just jumping on him and then dopes cheering them on. Notice all the Affliction & TapOut tees :rolleyes: but was funny when one Canadian says 'That was awesome Budday' haha

Sickening, pure scumbags, doesn't matter who started it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Not nice to see at all, the regular fan that goes to a ufc event is an aggressive thug from my experience anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

seadnamac wrote: »
    He is the colour commentator, there to give his opinions on what is happening in a fight, as opposed to the play by play man who just describes the action (Goldberg). No one is ever going to agree with everything he says, but that's just differing opinions. To call him biased because you don't agree with him on certain things is well wide of the mark in my opinion.

The two lads are badly biased when it comes to certain fights, I remember in the okami-munoz fight, where munuz got caught with a great left hook from okami and goldberg calls out while munuz is still on the ground "oh and munuz just missed with the right"!!! WTF:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Not nice to see at all, the regular fan that goes to a ufc event is an aggressive thug from my experience anyways.

pity that this has been your experience, i have only gone to one cage contender in Tallaght and the crowd were class.

is there much trouble at irish events ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

seadnamac wrote: »
    He is the colour commentator, there to give his opinions on what is happening in a fight, as opposed to the play by play man who just describes the action (Goldberg). No one is ever going to agree with everything he says, but that's just differing opinions. To call him biased because you don't agree with him on certain things is well wide of the mark in my opinion.

He's constantly at it. Calling fights where he'll only remark on what one fighter is doing and not the other. I'll often just mute them altogether.

On the whole, the two of them are really really bad. I'd love to see some proper commentary capable of capturing the moment and adding that extra gravitas a good commentator can have, instead of detracting from what's happening. Just listen to Goldberg for example. He's so bad it hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

el dude wrote: »
    He's constantly at it. Calling fights where he'll only remark on what one fighter is doing and not the other. I'll often just mute them altogether.

On the whole, the two of them are really really bad. I'd love to see some proper commentary capable of capturing the moment and adding that extra gravitas a good commentator can have, instead of detracting from what's happening. Just listen to Goldberg for example. He's so bad it hurts.

KenFlo is an EXCELLENT commentator, wish they'd use him more often

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

lafors wrote: »

I believe it does, if you start something, be prepared to accept the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

lafors wrote: »

Just no need for that kind of crap, i've mailed the link to one of the UFC guys and hope it get's taken down.

I've been to 6 events, the worst i went to for that sort of crap was 75 in London, was just a bad atmosphere, didn't like it one bit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Does anyone remember the fights on the streets after UFC 93?

As much as people may hate to admit it, fighting sports do attract a lot of scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Does anyone remember the fights on the streets after UFC 93?

As much as people may hate to admit it, fighting sports do attract a lot of scum.

I seen one while walking up the road after the event, some guy pulled up in a car and got involved, not sure what happened in the end as we just walked on. I think there was a fight in the crowd that night as well, I did see some clown with his top off and dancing to so "tune" the UFC had playing during the fights, he looked like a right tit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Its along the same lines as the football hooligans of the 80's. They should have clear signs posted everywhere that it wont be tolerated and they should hand out lifetime bans from events for anyone caught causing trouble.
    It just gives the sport a bad name.

is there much trouble at irish events ?

I was only ever at 1 in Limerick (please come back to Limerick!!) and was weary of what knacks might turn up but the crowd was excellent! Ya, there was a few scobes who didn't know what was going on and couldn't figure out why the lads were hugging on the ground :rolleyes: but the majority of the crowd were MMA fans and was a brilliant atmosphere. Can't wait for the next one!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Im not sure I agree with this to be honest. I have only ever been to the UFC event in Dublin and I know there was hassle at it but I dont think most of those involved in fights or causing agro could be called fans of any sort regular or not. They were the type that turned up because there was fighting involved and add the fact beer was served. They went with a load of their mates and you end up with drunken testoserone filled idiots who leave looking for a scrap thinking they are now a UFC fighter a few hours later.

A regular fan might not pactice MMA but would still know whats going on in the cage and know who is who, it was obvious around me who was a fan and who was just some idiot that turned upfor the show. There was plenty about peoples behaviour in the thread at the time but the most of the trouble I saw was from typical drunks that you would see doing the same in town on a Saturday night just fueled even more because they had just been to see a UFC event and thought they had become a cage fighter after a few bottles of beer.

I was only ever at 1 in Limerick (please come back to Limerick!!) and was weary of what knacks might turn up but the crowd was excellent! Ya, there was a few scobes who didn't know what was going on and couldn't figure out why the lads were hugging on the ground :rolleyes: but the majority of the crowd were MMA fans and was a brilliant atmosphere. Can't wait for the next one!

You need your live MMA fix!! Get yourself down to Cork on the 28th of May for Cage Warriors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Best event ive ever been to, well worth the trip!!! Got loads of cool pics and vids!! :)

Tones69 wrote: »
    Best event ive ever been to, well worth the trip!!! Got loads of cool pics and vids!! :)

What was? UFC 129, UFC 93, XCC (Limerick)?

What was? UFC 129, UFC 93, XCC (Limerick)?

This is a UFC 129 thread isnt it???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Post the pics!

• Advertisement

Dean09 wrote: »
    Post the pics!

Ok will do later or first thing in the morn :)

Tones69 wrote: »
    This is a UFC 129 thread isnt it???

It sure is, but I few people have talked about other events in this thread and that is why I asked. Must of been great atmosphere over there, can't wait to see your pics.

You need your live MMA fix!! Get yourself down to Cork on the 28th of May for Cage Warriors!

I was gonna enter the Fight Hounds comp for free tickets but I will be heading away that weekend for my bday. Seriously do need another shot of it tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

While I've never been to a UFC event I have been to two Irish MMA events and never saw any trouble. Like as with any event where people have been drinking fights occur. I am possibly being naive but there are brawls at football matches, nightclubs, concerts etc. every week in Ireland. Is there any evidence to suggest MMA events have a higher figure on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

And I can't say for sure, but i imagine tha local MMA events attract more real fans and less thugish types

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Lads, any update on how goosed GSP's eye is?

Speaking of which, what do ye make of the poke that caused it? Intentional?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Looks more like he slapped him rather than poked.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,166 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

jayteecork wrote: »
    Looks more like he slapped him rather than poked.

Yeah but why would he slap? Isn't he supposed to hit with a closed fist?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Yeah but why would he slap? Isn't he supposed to hit with a closed fist?

Ya but Shields doesn't really throw with any intent or power for some reason.

I noticed it in his Srikeforce fights, its like how you throw messing with a little cousin... going through the motion but without any intent. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

I'd imagine it's to gauge distance. Both the Diaz brothers do it a lot too. As do a good few other fighters..

Advertisement