Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can WWE ever get back to the glory days?

Options
123457»

Comments

rossie1977 wrote: »
    so you want wwe or whoever to come up with completely new matches in order for them to be good, taker and michaels at wm25 is one of the finest matches in wwes 60 year history easily, probably only one or two matches in that company i think were better or that i have seen, michaels and jericho from no mercy 2008 is the best ladder match ever in wwe imo, quite rightly those two were voted moty

The Undertaker Michaels "Reverse, kick out of a finisher match" did nothing for me. But i suppose it was good for the level of matches WWE has put on in recent times. Thought Orton taker was better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    In terms of viewing figures in the US, it will never touch it's peak years. WCW v WWE times.

in terms of viewing figures wcw vs wwe couldn't touch the numbers wwf did on its own circa 1987-88, saturday nights main event in 1988 with the rematch of andre and hogan drew 33 million viewers a number that will never be matched for sure (more than double what raw and nitro were doing combined at their peaks), a snme the previous year still holds the record rating for that timeslot of 11.6

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

in terms of viewing figures wcw vs wwe couldn't touch the numbers wwf did on its own circa 1987-88, saturday nights main event in 1988 with the rematch of andre and hogan drew 33 million viewers a number that will never be matched for sure (more than double what raw and nitro were doing combined at their peaks), a snme the previous year still holds the record rating for that timeslot of 11.6

Well then, that settles it. WWE will never, ever get back to the glory days in terms of viewing figures and all around popularity. They won't even get back to the popularity of the monday night wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭IanMc666

Nah, it won't. The WWE sickens me these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

been watching all the raws from the past year. watched 2 smackdowns and 1 raw from jan-feb 2000 tonight. the difference in quality is amazing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

The thing is WWE is kind of like Will Farrell at the moment. They've done great things in the past, and as a result they know they don't have to put out a quality show because they have a guaranteed fan base that will watch everything they do regardless of how bad it is.

They are pretty much a monopoly at the minute. If TNA gets a little more consistent, and the ratings increase, I would like to see them go live against WWE again. Going live with WWE for one week after making a huge deal of it was ridiculous. If they spank WWE in the ratings a little bit, then I can see WWE trying to improve the product. I know it's farfetched, but it would be great to see some Monday night wars again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Jazzy wrote: »
    been watching all the raws from the past year. watched 2 smackdowns and 1 raw from jan-feb 2000 tonight. the difference in quality is amazing

yep lets get back to the hhh/stephanie show where trips opens raw with a 30mins promo in the ring, trips is shown back stage after the break, the radicals come out to challenge, trips squashes benoit, trips comes out again to confront mick foley about the upcoming rumble match, foley is happy to see the radicals by his side but they turn on him, raw ends with the trips and the radicals gloating over beat down of foley

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

yep lets get back to the hhh/stephanie show where trips opens raw with a 30mins promo in the ring, trips is shown back stage after the break, the radicals come out to challenge, trips squashes benoit, trips comes out again to confront mick foley about the upcoming rumble match, foley is happy to see the radicals by his side but they turn on him, raw ends with the trips and the radicals gloating over beat down of foley

I will never understand the booking decision behind this. I know it was clearly to make Trips look wonderful, but Christ it was one of the worst booking moves in wrestling history, even worse than some of the famous WCW booking disasters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

and yet its still 50 times more enjoyable then the current crap.

rock, tazz & angle triple threat was a good match. jericho being jericho. but since its wwe/f it had to have a stupid angle - mark henry and mae young where she gives birth to a rubber hand. thats what fast forward is for! :pac:
    11 years on and henry still cant wrestle and still gets air time.

and HHH was an absolutely fantastic heel at the time. light years ahead of anyone now, except punk ofc

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Asking WWE to be as popular is it did in the 80s and 90s boom might be like asking a band/singer to be bigger than say The Beatles or Michael Jackson. There's just so much competition for entertainment these days; movies, TV and videogames are all billion dollar industries, not to mention whatever about the internet.

Who knows, hopefully something huge will catch fire. But they're running in the opposite direction right now (depending on selling their TV shows to new countries as opposed to counter-acting the downward trend of US viewers)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

The early reaction to nights PPV is proof of a lot of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

drayme wrote: »
    The early reaction to nights PPV is proof of a lot of things.

Look at the average ratings people give the PPV before jumping to any conclusions. Also, beware spoilers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

Look at the average ratings people give the PPV before jumping to any conclusions. Also, beware spoilers!

In fairness I said the early reaction. Stating that it being predictable as this major minus and that a strong card like that was a waste of time/money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Jebus0908 wrote: »
    They need to get rid of the PG!

The show can be great in PG. It's the fact that WWE are more a "G" than "PG" as they are being overly safe in their content.

They can push the envelope a little bit and remain in PG, and the show could be fantastic again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Smoshi

Just to add my thoughts to some of the good posts above.

I think (lately) WWE has been better than it has been in a long time. The Daniel Bryan vs The Miz story. Michael Cole as a heel commentator. The Nexus & New Nexus. Etc etc.

Its by no means GREAT, but its a step in the right direction. If they can keep up the enjoyable content post WM 27, then i'm hoping business will improve.

I don't think WWE's biggest problem is content or even the PG restrictions. In fairness, 2005 - 2008 weren't PG restricted & it was still woeful.

I think WWE's biggest problem right now is UFC. UFC is the new "cool" thing. All the male fans that once loved WWE have defected to UFC for the realism & brutal nature. Not to mention that UFC put together a great product & are very smart business wise.

But (in my opinion) the current boom is for UFC, not MMA in general. If UFC interest drops, those fans could migrate back to PW. Even though the product is aimed at children for the most part, i don't find it as bad as some of the supposed adult content.

In the past year, only 1 thing has literally made me change channel. That was when PeeWee Herman was guest host of RAW. Damn i hate that guy!
    But other than that, i've been happy to see WWE test the waters outside their comfort zone.

NXT, pushing more wrestlers, more innovative angles. The only thing i'd like to see them do now is stop trying to protect Orton/Cena sooo much. They're already megastars in WWE. A clean loss wont hurt them that badly at all, and could potentially make someone.

Anywat, those are my thoughts.

Thanks for reading :)

Advertisement