Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Credit/Debit card should I get for buying online?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

marywary wrote: »
    The Bank switching code should still have worked for you even if you were keeping your old bank account open, the only people you should have had to contact were those that were making regular lodgements to your a/c eg. child allowance, social welfare, employer for salary etc to let them know your new a/c details. All your d/d's, s/o's should have been transferred automatically for you.

Not to derail the thread, but the relevant words are highlighted. This should have been done but wasn't and I was blue in the face trying to get them (Ulster Bank)to correct it for me. In the end it was quicker for me to do it myself.
    I have to do a credit report in a few weeks to make sure my credit history isn't affected (unpaid DD on a mobile phone contract, a/c been overdrawn etc) and if it is they said they will sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I’m currently looking into this. No one has yet mentioned the ‘cross border conversion’ charges that the main banking cards charge of purchases outside the eurozone (I’ve had a credit card for ten years and only became aware of it recenty)

The following are the charges on various cards that I’ve looked up;
    PTSB debit; 1.75%
    BOI Visa; 1.75&
    AIB Mastercard 2.14%
    AIB Visa 2.75%

Something to bear in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Had to resend the Address and ID verifications, gave it in to the local Ulster Bank branch last Tuesday.

Still waiting :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

flaviu wrote: »
    Went to AIB yesterday to open an account, specifically for buying online. I asked if i could have a MasterCard or Visa attached to this account. Being unemployed and not a student anymore she told me i can't have anything like that. Only a lame laser card.

I asked: then, how am i supposed to buy stuff online?!
    she smiled and shrugged.

That's AIB for ya. Going to ulster bank first thing on monday.
    Thanks for all the info!

Yeah AIB are spas. I reckoned them not providing a debit card that can be used online was a conspiracy by the Irish bank during the bubble so more people got credit cards.
    Dodge wrote: »
    I’m currently looking into this. No one has yet mentioned the ‘cross border conversion’ charges that the main banking cards charge of purchases outside the eurozone (I’ve had a credit card for ten years and only became aware of it recenty)

The following are the charges on various cards that I’ve looked up;
    PTSB debit; 1.75%
    BOI Visa; 1.75&
    AIB Mastercard 2.14%
    AIB Visa 2.75%
    *Ulster 2%*

Something to bear in mind

From here: http://www.ulsterbank.ie/documents/roi/Guide_to_Personal_Account_Fees_and_Interest.pdf

Transaction Type
    (Outside the Eurozone)

Cash withdrawal at an RBS,
    NatWest or Ulster Bank
    cash machine

No Charge

No charge***

Cash withdrawal which is not
    at an RBS, NatWest or Ulster
    Bank cash machine**

Charge: 2% of transaction amount
    (min €3, max €12)

ERTF fee: 1.5% of transaction amount

____

Purchases (point of
    sale transaction)

Charge: 1% of transaction amount
    (min €0.25, max €6)

ERTF fee: 1% of transaction amount
    (min €0.25, max €6)

* Exchange Rate Transaction Fee
    ** Local banks may charge a fee
    *** Transaction is converted into Euro at a rate determined by Ulster Bank

So : when using the Ulster Bank Visa Debit in a shop in the 6 counties add on 1% and only take money out of RBS, NatWest or Ulster Bank ATMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 flaviu

So : when using the Ulster Bank Visa Debit in a shop in the 6 counties add on 1% and only take money out of RBS, NatWest or Ulster Bank ATMs.

Oops, didn't know that. So i give a quarter to anything i buy under 25E, so i shouldn't use it all the time in stores.
    What about online shopping? I don't really understand those acronyms and stuff like ETRF or GFYAIB...
    How much would i pay ulster for something bought from amazon.co.uk or amazon.de or what about .com? anyone know?
    What if i try to load some of my money into paypal?

• Advertisement
Advertisement