Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'll replace Kubica?

Options
  • 07-02-2011 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Ok, seems like he wont be racing in 2011, so who'll take his seat for the year?
    I really dont think it should be Senna, so who?
    i'd say fisichella, he knows the team and did a good job until Ferrari stint, still working at Ferrari so would do well I think.

Also wonder could they get the Hulk out of his Force India contract?

Also Chandhok is free, so I say 1. fisi 2. hulk 3.chandhok.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,065 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Heidfeld, team mates with Kubica for a number of years and was pretty close match

Only a short break from F1 last year, scored a few points at the end of last season with Sauber.

Steady, reliable and experienced driver

Wouldn't mind Senna being given a chance but wouldn't be good to have two junior drivers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Heidfeld would be the best choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

I posted this on another thread

I think every agrees that Kimi would be the fastest driver that Renault could get, but assume that they cant agree a deal, who would you have next. Personally, I'd have Heidfield even over Nico Hulkenberg. Heidfield is a former GP2 (F3000) champion and has LOADS of experience plus he was faster than Kubica at BMW for one year, slower another and fairly even with him another. I think far too much weight has been given to Hulkenberg's Brazilian qualifying performance. One fine day never meet a summer!!

Just thought. Wonder could Sutil go to Renault and Force India promote Hulkenberg to its race seat ? Bet Sutil would jump at this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

How solid is Webber's contract? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

thegoth wrote: »
    Just thought. Wonder could Sutil go to Renault and Force India promote Hulkenberg to its race seat ? Bet Sutil would jump at this

That sounds like a win-win for everybody (except Heidfeld, obviously). Sutil has been at Force India for his whole career, and deserves a chance with a bigger team. And when Kubica (hopefully) returns in 2012, Sutil would be an ideal replacement for Petrov.

The idea of seeing Senna in a Lotus Renault is nice, but he's not really Senna and it's not really a Lotus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

RayM wrote: »
    That sounds like a win-win for everybody (except Heidfeld, obviously). Sutil has been at Force India for his whole career, and deserves a chance with a bigger team. And when Kubica (hopefully) returns in 2012, Sutil would be an ideal replacement for Petrov.

The idea of seeing Senna in a Lotus Renault is nice, but he's not really Senna and it's not really a Lotus.
    Force India would probably demand a huge payoff to release Sutil though, I'd stick my money on Heidfeld tbh he's too good a driver to be off the grid i think.

Actually, if Kubica misses the entire season (fingers crossed no), how ****ed is Petrov gonna be, copying setups last season and all that, he'll have to pretty much do his own thing this year methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Iron Hide wrote: »
    Actually, if Kubica misses the entire season (fingers crossed no), how ****ed is Petrov gonna be, copying setups last season and all that, he'll have to pretty much do his own thing this year methinks.

He's still bringing in enough roubles to keep Renault happy and with a Russian GP round the corner its unlikely that his cash supply is going to run out anytime soon. I'd say he'll be fine!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Possibly Heidfled is the best option for them really, he is quite reliable and if the car is as good as it looks then he could get that win he deserves.

frostie500 wrote: »
    He's still bringing in enough roubles to keep Renault happy and with a Russian GP round the corner its unlikely that his cash supply is going to run out anytime soon. I'd say he'll be fine!;)
    Yeah good point actually! Pity that cockpits are earned on the size of your sponsors wallet rather than driving skill though, Petrov ain't a great driver but he's gonna be in what looks like a pretty speedy car this season. I still wish him all the best though and maybe he can step it up, who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Stevegeraghty

IMO Heidfeld is the best choice, but I think they should stick to their guns and use their reserve driver, what's the point in having a reserve driver if you don't give them the chance when it arises.
    I like quick Nick and am sorry to see him on the side lines but I'd like to see Senna in something competitive

I completely agree with RayM

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I'd love to see Jacques Villenueve come back but that probably wont happen but then Heidfield would be a better replacement than Senna

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I posted this on another thread

I think every agrees that Kimi would be the fastest driver that Renault could get, but assume that they cant agree a deal, who would you have next. Personally, I'd have Heidfield !

I agree,
    I would love to see Kimi back in F1 as you all probably know.
    But that will never happen
    Didn't Kimi all but insult Renault by saying he would never drive for them??

On saying that though..!!

Never say never.
    It was reported that as soon as Renault boss Eric Boullier found out about the gravity of Kubica's medical situation, the first driver whom he asked to be called was Kimi Raikkonen. However, the Finn's management is still keeping quiet on the rumors.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/raikkonen-free-to-replace-kubica-citroen-30935.html

I can guarantee you this. As things stand, Kimi will not be in shape for F1. He is soooooo lazy. It killed him having to work out for F1.

We are only 4 weeks and 2 days away from the first practice session of the 2011 championship. Would he even be ready in time ?

Kimi is/was the laziest driver on the grid right through his F1 career.
    Why would it be any different for him now :D

I can guarantee you this. As things stand, Kimi will not be in shape for F1. He is soooooo lazy. It killed him having to work out for F1.

We are only 4 weeks and 2 days away from the first practice session of the 2011 championship. Would he even be ready in time ?

If it was for decent chance of winning races I'd say he would be able to get himself ready. He has shown that he has the ability to do well in rallying, but right now he is a very rough diamond. He knows that he could go to F1 and still be quick. he will always be able to go Rallying but this is his last chance to get back into F1. He can dictate the terms of the agreement-limited PR, no handholding from the team etc-and just come in and race. There is no testing so he would be free for the vast majority of his time to do as he pleases.

Renault might not call him at all but he's be foolish not to consider the option if they do call him

frostie500 wrote: »
    If it was for decent chance of winning races I'd say he would be able to get himself ready. He has shown that he has the ability to do well in rallying, but right now he is a very rough diamond. He knows that he could go to F1 and still be quick. he will always be able to go Rallying but this is his last chance to get back into F1. He can dictate the terms of the agreement-limited PR, no handholding from the team etc-and just come in and race. There is no testing so he would be free for the vast majority of his time to do as he pleases.

Renault might not call him at all but he's be foolish not to consider the option if they do call him

Agreed

Renault has confirmed that Nick Heidfeld will test for the team during the Jerez test as the squad evaluate possible replacements for the injured Robert Kubica.

With test driver Bruno Senna also set to have his first laps in the R31 it is clear that this test, and in all likelihood the Barcelona test, will become a shoot out for a seat in what looks like being a front running car in 2011.

Both Heidfeld and Senna raced last season in F1. They also would bring various positives attributes to the team. Heidfeld has 172 Grand Prix starts, including a pole position, and has long been recognised as one of the sports leading development drivers; a crucial advantage for the likeable German. Having spent part of 2010 as Pirelli’s official test driver he also would come armed with knowledge of the new control tyre.

Senna on the other hand has just a single season of F1 experience. The Brazilian showed promise in lower formulae, especially in GP2, but was clearly hamstrung by the woefully uncompetitive HRT last season. To get a better understanding of his potential a look at his first test in an F1 car paints a much more attractive picture. In the winter of 2008 Senna tested for Honda in Barcelona where he was within 0.3s of Jenson Button.

His pace, and feedback, was impressive enough for Honda to seriously consider him for the role of teammate to Button. Of course within weeks of this test Honda pulled out of F1 and Senna’s hopes of racing in F1 vanished with it. When Ross Brawn bought the team he had little option but to rehire Rubens Barrichello so that the team could develop what would become the title winning BGP001 and score consistent points.

Renault has also said that Vitaly Petrov will drive for the first two days of the Jerez test before the handing over to Senna and Heidfeld for the final two days.

No surprises there, Heidfeld it is then.

Iron Hide wrote: »
    No surprises there, Heidfeld it is then.

A new car........... Could Senna be quicker?? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

A new car........... Could Senna be quicker?? :rolleyes:

Probably just me but he never looked good to me:o

vectra wrote: »
    Probably just me but he never looked good to me:o

To be fair,he was quick in GP2, if you ever watched the in car footage in the HRT, it was a pig to drive, Honda were happy with him!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

It will be good to see who will be the better driver in the new renault so, i cant wait for the season to start :)

Ficus wrote: »
    He was reletivily quick in gp2 cause he had the best car and done more testing than anyone else on the grid. When he was wasnt in the quickest car he was nowhere. And honda wanted him partly for his surname. Look at his racing record too, he has never won any championship he has entered.
    I think it would be a disaster for renault to sign him up for an entire season.

I agree,Heidfeld is the ONLY choice,I like the underdog,but credit where it's due,he may have gotten the test with Honda because of his name but he was quick in it,let's not for get he gave up racing when Ayrton died and didn't take it up again till after collage,he has the least experience out of everyone, and tbh a name doesn't get you as far as it used to,it's all about bobs now

Ficus wrote: »
    You`ve just proven my point, he`s not a team leader and he aint the man for the job.

I wasn't trying to disprove your point,I agree it would be crazy to have two rookies in a top 5 team!

I was only trying to get across my two points

1, I think Senna is alot better than people give him credit for,people see Senna,not Bruno which is a shame because IMO Bruno is a good driver.

2, I don't see the point in a team having a reserve driver if they are not gonna use them,why didn't they just hire Heidfeld as a test driver from the get go?

1, people see Senna,not Bruno which is a shame because IMO Bruno is a good driver.

Nope
    I see Bruno..And that to me is a wasted F1 seat for a decent driver.Bruno is only capitalising on his uncles name

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I'd say Heidfeld is definitely the man for the job but I love to root for the underdog so hopefully Bruno does well in the tests and doesn't make it an easy decision for Renault.

I'd say Heidfeld is definitely the man for the job but I love to root for the underdog so hopefully Bruno does well in the tests and doesn't make it an easy decision for Renault.

TBH Senna doesn't have any hope, if they don't pick Heidfeld they will just dust the cobwebs off Del La Rossa or someone of equal vintage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

TBH Senna doesn't have any hope, if they don't pick Heidfeld they will just dust the cobwebs off Del La Rossa or someone of equal vintage

In fairness Heidfeld has been round the block a few times as well!!

• Advertisement

In fairness Heidfeld has been round the block a few times as well!!

Big difference between 40 and 33 though!

Advertisement