Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Signal Meter

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Souriau wrote: »
    Since a lot of viewers had written in here having problems with digital TV signal so I decided to check on how low the signal can go before it break up
    I had compare both Muliplexes on Saorview

I been checking signal strength between Mux 1 and Mux 2.
    I received my Saorview signal from Clermont Carn

Mux 1||Mux 2
    |Emitor DigiAir Pro signal meter|
    47.7 dBµv| signal strength|45.7 dBµv
    30 dB| SNR|29 dB
    1.0e-4| Pre BER|1.0e-4
    1.0e-8| Post BER|1.0e-8
    30 dB| MER|28 dB
    |Humax HDR-Fox T2 signal meter|
    47|Strength|44
    100|Quality|100
    Both Muxs are perfect, no breakup

I put in a 9dB Attenuator to reduce the signal strength and again I did my measurement tests
    Mux 1|| Mux 2
    38.8 dBµv| signal strength|37.0 dBµv
    24.3 dB| SNR|21.0 dB
    3.3e-3| Pre BER|3.9e-3
    1.0e-8| Post BER|3.9e-8
    25 dB| MER|22 dB
    37|Strength|27
    100|Quality|80
    Again like above, both Muxs are still perfect with no breakup

I put in a 12dB Attenuator to reduce the signal strength and again I did my measurement tests
    Mux 1|| Mux 2
    35.7 dBµv| signal strength|34 dBµv
    21.1 dB| SNR|18.0 dB
    6.7e-3| Pre BER|3.0e-2
    2.3e-8| Post BER|2.5e-5
    22 dB| MER|20 dB
    37|Strength|20
    100|Quality|20
    At this point, RTE1 on Mux 1 is still very good while Mux 2 is breaking up full time
    See pictures attached below

I put in a 15dB Attenuator to reduce the signal strength even more and again I did my measurement tests
    Mux 1|| Mux 2
    32 dBµv| signal strength|30 dBµv
    18 dB| SNR|
    2.5e-2| Pre BER|
    9.6e-6| Post BER|
    20 dB| MER|
    28|Strength|10
    90|Quality|10
    At this point, RTE1 on Mux 1 is watchable but on Mux 2 is not available

I had a closer look into this setup as to why Mux 2 is lower than Mux 1
    I then found out that the aerial I am using is Group B not Group C/D as it should be, So this test does show a wrong group aerial do affect the results.
    The reason I had installed Group B was that I used to get my analouge from Cairn Hill and then relign to Clermont Carn last year with no problem until Mux 2 came on-air, even still no problem til I done a test to see how weak the signal can go belore digital cliff kick in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

I still don't see anything in those meter readings that would cause me to look for reasons for the slight difference between mux 1 & 2.

The group B probably has as much gain at ch. 56 as the equivalent group C/D would have, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    I still don't see anything in those meter readings that would cause me to look for reasons for the slight difference between mux 1 & 2.

The group B probably has as much gain at ch. 56 as the equivalent group C/D would have, anyway.
    Where I am, I don't have direct sight to the transmitter, as there is a mountain blocking the path of the signal from the transmitter to my aerial.
    This may have an effect on the reading I am getting, but I will redo this with a different transmitter when I get a chance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Souriau wrote: »
    . . . I will redo this with a different transmitter when I get a chance.

:confused: What exactly are you looking for?

Advertisement