Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog walking etiquette :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

Shanao wrote: »
    I was only just thinking that myself. Wasn't sure of the standard for pits so checked it up, and there really is no way those could have been pit bulls. Probably crossbreeds of some variety. Then again, could have been anything cos people dont even seem to know what pits look like.
    Friend of mine has a white boxer and an american bull and the amount of times she's been stopped, even by the bloody dog warden once, to be told that they should be muzzled is unreal. She even got to the stage where she carried their papers around with her to prove they weren't. And they are always on leads.
    Just goes to show, if you lined up five dogs, most people still wouldn't be able to tell which was the pitbull.

And I love instantly how its the RBs that people complain about. I've seen people being dragged all over by labradors and huskies and my fella has already been lunged at five times by medium-big dogs, twice by collie crosses, once by a lab, once by a red setter and once by a bloody st bernard. And i cant even count the amount of times yorkies or bichons or shih tzus have run at him, barking and snapping. And yes, my dog is an RB who I have put the time and effort into training and making him dog friendly. People seem to forget that that's actually possible.

Welcome to the life of an RB owner, Where nearly every1 paints you the same way. If they know you have 1 of those nasty dogs on the RB list, They think that your dog is the devil and cross the road to get away from you. But if they dont know your dog is on the RB list then they love your dog.

I find it funny sometimes haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3 marions91

Yors quite right. I walk my 2 dogs in Marley Park, and all the dog owners there seem to be very attentive to this problem. Personally I always put my dogs on a shorter lead when we're walking towards people . It's only common curtacy... Just in case they are afraid of dogs.
    Humans eh! wrote: »
    Common sense is the most important thing with dogs. A dog on a lead will often act more aggressively to other dogs because it feels trapped and restricted but most people don't realise this. Instead of a dog licence new owners should be taught how dogs think and stop believing that dogs act like humans would to stimuli and threat.

Stupidest thing that happened to me recently was young girl(16ish) skinny cocky and pale being literally dragged along by muscular rottweiller (unmuzzled) on opposite side of road, slightly behind us going same direction. She crossed the road to walk up behind us (me my wife, dog and small children 3 & 5) for no good reason, no exits / houses off road on our side etc. There was no one else around.
    I dropped back allowing my children to walk ahead and said to her "are you really going to walk up behind my children with that dog" which she clearly couldn't control if it decided to act. She gave me the puzzled furrowed brow look and asked me 'wha' my f***in problem was' and started getting aggressive, I told her that having a rottweiler unmuzzled is a danger to my kids and I would ring the dog warden & cops if she wanted to continue and have the dog confiscated.
    She abruptly did a U turn and fecked off shouting like a fishwife.
    The possible outcomes were horrifying and it made me mad that these beautiful and powerful creatures are in the hands of total idiots just for show. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Im just wondering what people would think of me out walking my boy so!
    Hes a bigger than average basset and he is awful on the lead
    I have done loads with him but am becoming resigned to the fact that for the rest of his life he will be a disaster to walk, he is very strong and I walk him on a short lead he lunges and barks at other dogs I cross the road to avoid other dogs but it doesnt look pretty and I just about have the strength to control him but he has to be walked so dirty looks and all I walk him on the streets

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Well not even sure if there's a law here or not but in some states in America it is illegal to walk your dog in a public area without a lead. If I was to walk my dog I would keep it on the lead. The only time I might let it off is if I was back at the lake playing fetch or something. That's a risk in itself. My dogs were never aggressive at all, but you can never know how they might react to somebody. If there was a toddler around they might get over excited and knock the kid down or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I have done loads with him but am becoming resigned to the fact that for the rest of his life he will be a disaster to walk, he is very strong and I walk him on a short lead he lunges and barks at other dogs I cross the road to avoid other dogs but it doesnt look pretty and I just about have the strength to control him but he has to be walked so dirty looks and all I walk him on the streets

Do you have a garden at home? Would you consider using a zip line or something? Maybe you could bring him out to rural areas for a walk sometimes? It can be annoying if the dog is very strong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Apparently it depends on your appearance. If you look respectable and don't look too young, you'll be grand:p
    Wompa1 wrote: »
    Well not even sure if there's a law here or not but in some states in America it is illegal to walk your dog in a public area without a lead. If I was to walk my dog I would keep it on the lead. The only time I might let it off is if I was back at the lake playing fetch or something. That's a risk in itself. My dogs were never aggressive at all, but you can never know how they might react to somebody. If there was a toddler around they might get over excited and knock the kid down or something.

No law here, except for RB dogs, the law is that they must be under effective control.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Rashers23

ISDW wrote: »
    No law here, except for RB dogs, the law is that they must be under effective control.

And that effective control seems to be very subjective.

I was walking my 2 pups last week a big lab came racing down the road towards me and proceeded to go mental at me and the pups, totally ignoring its elderly owner who seemed to be under the impression that carrying a bit of a stick is a substitute for a lead, which in my opinion is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭luvdogs

The dog that ran up to me was a restricted breed type, i didnt say this in my post as that wasnt my issue! one of my dogs is a restricted breed (not the one i had with me) so i know how it feels to have people cross the road rather then walk past my gentle girl and i try not to put labels on dogs as every dog is diff....i know so many RB and you cant tar them all with a label, i know plenty of breeds that arent a RB that are a nightmare!
    any person walking a dog MUST have controll, if the dog is very strong then of course a the handler should take the appropriate care!!
    My point is that i have respect for other dogs walkers and find it very frustrating at times like that...surely its just good manners:confused:

Rashers23 wrote: »
    And that effective control seems to be very subjective.

I was walking my 2 pups last week a big lab came racing down the road towards me and proceeded to go mental at me and the pups, totally ignoring its elderly owner who seemed to be under the impression that carrying a bit of a stick is a substitute for a lead, which in my opinion is not.

this is what im talking about...so annoying and not to mention not a good experience for your pups! :mad:

luvdogs wrote: »
    The dog that ran up to me was a restricted breed type, i didnt say this in my post as that wasnt my issue! one of my dogs is a restricted breed (not the one i had with me) so i know how it feels to have people cross the road rather then walk past my gentle girl and i try not to put labels on dogs as every dog is diff....i know so many RB and you cant tar them all with a label, i know plenty of breeds that arent a RB that are a nightmare!
    any person walking a dog MUST have controll, if the dog is very strong then of course a the handler should take the appropriate care!!
    My point is that i have respect for other dogs walkers and find it very frustrating at times like that...surely its just good manners:confused:

You're absolutely right, it is good manners, but (and I'm going to sound like a right old codger now) that is something that seems to be sadly lacking in our society now. No responsiblity for your own actions and no courtesy for others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Rashers23

this is what im talking about...so annoying and not to mention not a good experience for your pups! :mad:

Or me!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mickmcl09

No law here, except for RB dogs, the law is that they must be under effective control.[/QUOTE]

There's a bye law in Lahinch Co.Clare where dogs are not permitted on the promenade or the beach EVEN on a lead for part of the summer period.

The OPs issues come down to common sense.
    He's right in what he says. It's not about the girl, it's not about the Rottweiller, it's about people with dogs respecting other peoples space.

You're absolutely right, it is good manners, but (and I'm going to sound like a right old codger now) that is something that seems to be sadly lacking in our society now. No responsiblity for your own actions and no courtesy for others.

;)
    thats it exactly Bram :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

There's a bye law in Lahinch Co.Clare where dogs are not permitted on the promenade or the beach EVEN on a lead for part of the summer period.

there are bye laws in most parks as far as i know, malahide castle has one that most people ignore when it suits them. it dosnt particularly bother me as if i had a well trained dog that would listen to me id have them off the lead regardless of a bye law but i have a fairly strong willed husky pup so its not really a choice anymore

one thing that does annoy me is this

i started running the husky alongside my bike in the park and as i dont have the right equipment this can be quite an operation to make sure the lead is long enough for her not to get hurt but short enough so im in control etc but once it gets going it works really well and tires her out nicely. that is until an unleashed dog comes running up and takes her attention and starts running around the bike getting all tangled.

if the other dog is unleashed but under control and not paying attention to us she will run by it no problem but if it comes bounding up to us she just cant help herself and wont listen to me anymore and it makes it so much more annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

;)
    thats it exactly Bram :D

Are you an Irishdogs member? Do i know you:D? Just wondering how you know ISDW as Bram;)

andreac wrote: »
    Are you an Irishdogs member? Do i know you:D? Just wondering how you know ISDW as Bram;)

:DI've already pmed them to find out who they are, thats thrown me that has They said on another thread that they have a GSD, and they're quite knowledgeable about Danes, so I have my suspicions:)

ANyway, back on topic .....

Wellllll.....if you get your finger out and bring that pup of yours training tonight..you just might see me :P:P:P

Wellllll.....if you get your finger out and bring that pup of yours training tonight..you just might see me :P:P:P

Oh oh, i know, i know:p

I cant come training, shes in season at the moment:(

:DI've already pmed them to find out who they are, thats thrown me that has They said on another thread that they have a GSD, and they're quite knowledgeable about Danes, so I have my suspicions:)

mhuh huh huhhhhhh :P:P

andreac wrote: »
    Oh oh, i know, i know:p

I cant come training, shes in season at the moment:(

aw yeah thats right.....pity!! wish me luck with the loony :D:D

• Advertisement

Ha ha, hope it goes well. Cant wait for Newtownards. At least Flo will be well out of season then. Shes day 14 today:)

least the first ones nearly out of the way, by day 17 you should see the light at the end of the tunnel...till next time!!
    Roll on newtownards.......i need a day outttt!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wedgie

Back on topic, you sound like a right auld codger!

Wedgie wrote: »
    Back on topic, you sound like a right auld codger!

You can stay out of this, cos you blew your cover a long time ago on here, and you are a right auld codger:D

You can stay out of this, cos you blew your cover a long time ago on here, and you are a right auld codger:D

Oh do i know this person too??:D

least the first ones nearly out of the way, by day 17 you should see the light at the end of the tunnel...till next time!!
    Roll on newtownards.......i need a day outttt!!!

Ah thats good, cant wait to see the end of it alright. Yeah roll on Newtownards!!:D

come on Wedgie...spill :D:D

We're going to get into a lot of trouble, we've taken this waaaaaay off topic.

Wedgie may be known to you guys, he (or she) has a lab, a lab cross and a Northern Inuit. I know him (or her) through the doggie activities I do. But I'm sure you've met him (or her)

Anyway mods, really sorry, back on topic, although I guess luvdogs did start the thread, so we can't be in too much trouble, can we?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭McNulty32

I took the pup out for a long walk last night, being a pup she's excitably but surprisingly good to walk,

Only problem if she comes across a another dog, cat or any other aniimal she goes into a fierce rage and will go on the attack until I nearly have drag her down the street,
    No matter big or small, she will get stuck in

By last night we'd walked by afew dogs and she went for them, I restrained her made her keep walking,
    But on way back, there was a little corgi or similar dog thats owners let just wander up and down the road, barking at people and it wouldnt be uncommon for it to nip at people walking by
    Anyway the pup caught wind of the corgi, and the corgi ran over to her, the barking began
    I dragged the pup away but the corgi ran straight into her clucths and made short work of the dog, biting it and nearly throwing it in the air,
    the corgi ran off yelping, Id say it was hurt, I scolded the pup for fighting but damage was already done

Be honest Ive no sympathy, that dog should not be let wander around the street unsupervised hours on end, especially with it being so cranky and angry to people walking by and other dogs,
    Way I see it, I was walking my dog, had her on lead, the little dog provoked her and gave her opportunity to attack by being let wander, not my fault.

• Advertisement

i`ve no time for loose dogs as i`ve already said but even though your dog is on a lead....she sounds like she could benifit from attending an obedience course!!
    best time to get her walking nicely while shes young!!
    not meaning to preach but walks would be much more enjoyable for you both!!

Advertisement