Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should there be a Dail Bar -is it like Drinking at Work.

Options
  • 07-02-2011 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭

The Dail Bar sounds a bit like a Student Bar & no I havent been.

In most workplaces , these days, you are unlikely to have drink available , even in boardrooms, unless you work for a brewery. So should the Dail be different or is it time it was closed.

Listening to all the politicians rabbiting on about cuts and what they are proposing hasn't been in the least way controvercial, the government jet use. Yeah right.

They haven't talked about work performance and the Dail Bar. So does drink affect work performance.

Now I don't really think this would fit on any other boards forum but it is a question that needs asking.

Should the Dail Bar be shut down 89 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 89 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

It's subsidised also, as if they could'nt afford their booze:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

What do other countries do-Is there a pub in the House of Commons, or Capitol Hill for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I imagine the Dáil bar has got us in to this mess. Get rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

"Dole bars" is what those fcukers should be drinkin in

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

What do other countries do-Is there a pub in the House of Commons, or Capitol Hill for example?

Would it not be better to compare ourselves with a more compatible country rather than two big states?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Now lads..dont be hasty..We've all made fantastic decisions when half tanked! :D

Oh ya......thats a good reason to close it down :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

It's subsidised also, as if they could'nt afford their booze:(

*waves*

How much is a pint there I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

chucken1 wrote: »
    *waves*

How much is a pint there I wonder?
    Well if anyone can go in for a cheap pint leave it open:pac:

Shouldn't these politicians be supporting their local business anyway and buying pints in their local where people can have a few words with them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭upandcumming

If pints are €11.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

closely it down as Biffo was there from noon until night, only thing explains the mess we're in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

There should not be a bar in the dail. There are no bars in hospitals where doctors and nurses work long hours and in charge of saving lives and helping the sick. Beyond me how there is a bar for our government who is in charge of our country. Its no wonder we're fcuked. Can you imagine a bar in a hospital and doctors and nurses walking around drunk on duty.

FF you drunken bast@rds - you fcuked Ireland up. I wonder how many pints and shots did Lenihan and Cowen have when they signed our lives away to anglo and the blanket bank guarantee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I wonder what Enda thinks.

The Green Party Minister Ciaran Cuffe got in trouble for posting pics on his twitter account

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/minister-sorry-for-offthecuffe-dail-bar-photos-2254909.html

The alleged photo's of the bar are here .

http://www.mamanpoulet.com/civil-partnership-bill-passes-the-dail/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Would it not be better to compare ourselves with a more compatible country rather than two big states?

well if the "leader" of our country wasn't on more than the leaders in the countries mentioned I'd agree with you!!

someones havin a flippin laugh and it's not the Irish people!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If there wasn't a Dail Bar, nothing would ever get done in this country. You don't think decision are actually made in the Dail itself do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

There are two Dáil bars, one is where TDs and Senators invite guests in to drink and the other is TD and Senators members only bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Ricardo G wrote: »

I know of one bar that is frequented by people on social welfare, they are there 7 days a week. The black economy is alive and kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

Was brought into the dail bar for a mineral on a school trip before to the dail. biffo and the boys in the corner three empty pint glasses sure its only 12 oclock ish in the day not like u were about to go on tv in the dail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Surely the question isn't why should they have one in their workplace, but rather why don't all of us have one in our workplace?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

Good idea to have it there for tours / guests and people waiting around for meetings etc. People can go in for a cup of tea or a sandwich too..not just alcohol.

Theres a tiny bar in the Four Courts. Can't think of any other workplace though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Ricardo G wrote: »

behind bars is where they should be drinking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Good idea to have it there for tours / guests and people waiting around for meetings etc. People can go in for a cup of tea or a sandwich too..not just alcohol.

Theres a tiny bar in the Four Courts. Can't think of any other workplace though.

Bar staff

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If our government can drink on the job so can we.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Can't think of any other workplace though.

Worked in the Dublin branch of a Dutch company and there was a fridge full of beer.
    Working late evenings or even on Friday evenings you could have a few beers at your desk
    Everyone from the boss to the young lad in the mailroom did it.

Common in some Dutch and German companies to drink at work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Been in the Dáil bar a couple of times and it is a good meeting spot for visitng constituents in a more relaxed setting.

You don't have to drink alcohol there and i know people working in companies here in Dublin who have free beer stocked in their offices for staff.

+ The local bars are usualy full of journalists so sometimes a bit of privacy I'm sure can be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

I voted no in the poll because the topic said "should there be a dail bar" - but the poll is asking "should it be shut down" !

Count +1 for yes (dodgy poll!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Saadyst wrote: »
    I voted no in the poll because the topic said "should there be a dail bar" - but the poll is asking "should it be shut down" !

Count +1 for yes (dodgy poll!)

its the first time i have used the poll option.

it could have come out as " should there be a pole in the dail bar":pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

confusing wording of the question OP
    should there be a dail bar? No
    Should the Dail bar be closed down yes

100% of the posters are trying their best to agree with each other but the wording of the poll has confused 50% of them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Do any other countries have one, or is it just us?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

For our juniour cert cspe project we went to see politics in action. After being repeatedly shushed we eventually were led to a public gallery to watch about ten TD's in the Dail (out of 166). We then went to the dail visitors bar to see Mr Taoiseach B.A. horsing back pints within the confines of a packed bar.

Liam Aylward got us crisps and coke then went to see that other fine house of the oreachtas. This was of course a big plush empty room where the seanad occasionaly meets.

We saw more people in that bar than in the rest of Leinster House and there was about 40 in our group.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

I work from home - Do I now need to get rid of the drinks cabinet?

I have no problem with a bar in the Dail.. as long as their is a Garda checkpoint outside the gates!

Advertisement