Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tall girls!

Options
  • 06-02-2011 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

I'm stayin in a hotel for the weekend and i dont know if there is a conference on or what but every girl/lady is very tall. I'm talkin 6ft plus. As you can guess i'm not!
    Do you girls find life a little more awkward? Would you date a man smaller then you? Are skirts and dress's harder to get? Are fella's intimidated by your height?
    And why in the name of god do ye were heels that make ya even taller?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

racso1975 wrote: »
    I'm stayin in a hotel for the weekend and i dont know if there is a conference on or what but every girl/lady is very tall. I'm talkin 6ft plus. As you can guess i'm not!
    I'm 175cm, which some people consider to be tall.
    Do you girls find life a little more awkward?
    Not much, no.
    Would you date a man smaller then you?
    Yes. My current boyfriend is around my height. I went out with a guy for nearly two years who was a little shorter than me.
    Are skirts and dress's harder to get?
    Probably more so for girls who are taller than me. Sometimes tops can be a little short, or the sleeves, and dresses might not sit right. Some shops have a tall section, eg. Topshop, and there are also shops such as Long Tall Sally that do clothes for taller women.
    Are fella's intimidated by your height?
    I've never had a problem.
    I don't wear heels everyday. However when I do, it is because I like the shoes. They make me taller than my boyfriend but he doesn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,287 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I've been 5'10" since I was 14, and yes, buying clothes can be a difficult business. Its not quite so bad now since sweater sleeves tend to be longer but trousers are difficult - I buy jeans and winter trousers in Birmingham when I go over, most shops consider 31" leg in trousers to be tall. I need 34" and the longest you can get is 36" so anyone who is seriously tall must have real problems. Dresses and jackets tend to be short in the waist and in the sleeve.

Maybe its a convention of fashion models :D are they all elegant and good looking, or just tall?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

In fairness they are good looking but body shape's differ hugely from tall and ganggley to tall and voluptous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

im only 5 foot 7.5 so im average - so the men thing doesnt apply

but i have really long legs. so buying trousers is a nightmare they usually only come to the ankle. its lucky i prefer dresses anyway. im also packing a decent - not huge but well shaped, lol - booty so i cant be doing with the way most long legged trousers you come across seem to be made for the more ironing board-like figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I'm an average height at about 5'6 ish give or take, my boyfriend is about the same height as me. When I do go out and wear heels he doesn't care that I'm taller than him only if I tower over him and pretend to scold him, or if his friends call him a short arse from standing beside tall me! :)

One of my friends is super tall, but she works in a clothes shop and buys from the "tall" section. She sometimes finds it frustrating to shop but sometimes she will buy dresses and wear then with jeans as a top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Swirls

Funnily enough, when you're really attracted to someone, his height doesn't seem to be an issue. When it was an issue for me in the past, looking back now, it was probably because I just wasn't that attracted to him. As a rule of thumb, being around the same eye level is good.

Getting dresses that are long enough can be difficult, I worry that I look a bit "slutty" in most of my dresses:) The weird thing is they never look too short in the shop when I try them on, but when I get home...But as Squeakyduck has mentioned, you can always wear dresses as tops. I resort to that option a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭RebeccaChick

Quote:
    Originally Posted by racso1975
    Maybe a modelling show or something?!? Or you are after shrinking??
    Quote:
    No, why? I embrace being tall and honestly am proud of my height.
    Quote:
    No, unless I really liked the guy and there wasn't a huge height difference, it could be awkward when in heels. But if I really liked a guy it wouldn't stop me.
    Quote:
    Ya. Dresses tend to be like tops on me! Topshop, zara and bershka are really good for longer lengths I find.
    Quote:
    Never a night where I don't get a drunk guy come up to me and say "Do you know your really tall"?!? Note: these guys are ALWAYS short!
    Tall girls always stand out from a crowd and get noticed so guys are always intrigued when they see a pretty tall girl.
    Quote:
    Why shouldn't we?? That is like saying to a short person "why in the name of god do ye were flats that make ya even smaller?"

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Do you girls find life a little more awkward? Would you date a man smaller then you? Are skirts and dress's harder to get? Are fella's intimidated by your height?

Life awkward? Only when I'm out with my smaller friends. I tend to have to stoop to listen to them! :pac: I never have problems at concerts. :)

Being with a guy smaller than me is a little odd. I've tried it and for whatever reason it's weird to me. Its hard to explain.

Buying clothes is much better now than a few years ago. It was so hard to get clothes, trousers especially it fit. I definitely think girls in general are getting taller. I've gone back to college and there is way more tall girls in my class now than when I first went to college. There is about 9 of us out of 45 who are 5'10 or over. I used to be the only tall girl in the class.

I don't know if fellas are intimidated. I do get a few fellas come up to me and point out the obvious "Jeez, you're tall!".

I wear heels coz it makes my legs even longer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Never a night where I don't get a drunk guy come up to me and say "Do you know your really tall"?!? Note: these guys are ALWAYS short!
    I found this funny :D Mainly cos @ 6 foot 6, pretty much every lady is smaller than me. Have met one or two tall ladies, but they're the exception.

Tall girls rule :D :cool:

=-=

Yeah, until maybe 10 years ago, getting clothes was a b|tch. Seemed to be if you were my height at the time, you had to have a waist line 4 times mine at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

Nobody mentioned FEET! Where do I get nice heels in a size 9. I'm from M/W, but generally have to wait till I have reason to go abroad, to pick up a coupla pairs in this size

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Swirls

Ah, Poppyvalley, I can totally relate. I went into a well known shoe shop on a well known street in Dublin last weekend and asked to try on a pair of shoes in a size 9. The girl tried to tell me they didn't sell any size 9, even though the shoes I was wearing at the time had been bought in that shop. It's so disheartening:(

On a happier note, it's much easier to get shoes now though than it was 10 years ago. And we have our own shoe shop in Dublin now especially for girls with special feet. It's a start! Maybe in another decade things will be easier. In the meantime, if anyone can recommend other countries where it is possible to get size 9 shoes for girls, let me know.

I'm a size 8. I remember, years ago,I really wanted a pair of those Addias super-stars with the pink stripe. Went into Scuh, ya know girls on left, guys on right. Went looking for these trainers. Only up to a size 7. :( The sales assistant then points out some other addidas trainers, in a size 8 on the guys section. I say to her "They're guys shoes." "No they're not". "It's the guys section". I walked out then. :mad:

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

for shoes, I think it's best to find out which brands go up to size 9.

I've got pairs of Iron Fist shoes and Dr. Martens in 9. also, debenhams do a lot in size 9 too, got two pairs from them ;) so do New Look, but I've not bought anything there.

I know Irregular Choice have some shoes in size 9 too, and you can get a lot in Hush Puppies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I'm only 5"2 so I wouldn't really be inclined to go out with a lad shorter than me! That's just too small :) I love wearing heels and high boots when I go out or even to look nice some days. I would like to grow a few inches though :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I'd love to be tall for a day. It seems so elegant and with most of the tall girls I know, it's like clothes hang better on them or something, maybe as it has higher to fall! There's a reason why fashion models are generally 5'10+.

I'd love the perspective of looking down on people, or at least being at eye level as opposed to craning my neck like I'm everyone's kid sister! Plus it would be handy for gigs and stuff. :)

beks101 wrote: »
    I'd love to be tall for a day
    Uh-huh. When you start banging your head off low flying objects, such as lamps, door frames, the upstairs of a double decker bus, the friggin cars... you won't like it so much :P

But yeah, at gigs, it's awesome.
    Nobody mentioned FEET!
    Ugh. Size varied by brand name. Runners would be a size 13 in most cases (nearly friggin unobtainable), 12's in Doc Martins, but for the last 3 or 4 years, I've been wearing Megnum Elite II boots, which are nice and cosy.

the_syco wrote: »
    Uh-huh. When you start banging your head off low flying objects, such as lamps, door frames, the upstairs of a double decker bus, the friggin cars... you won't like it so much :P

But yeah, at gigs, it's awesome.

Nooooo, umbrellas are the worst!! Well maybe not for a 6'6 guy but if you're anyway between 5'10-6'2 (i reckon), that's the danger zone for eyes and umbrellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Jayzus, threads on the topic of tall girls always seem to pop up!

I'm tallish. Just over 5'9" the last time I checked. Not that tall, but a lot taller than most Irish girls anyway!

Never made life more awkward. :/

I find it grand to get pants to fit my legs. Mots places do different leg sizes now. HOWEVER the arms are what bugs me! I have fairly long arms and can never get coats/jackets to fit them. Very annoying. No problem with shoes as I'm only a size 5...very small for my height I guess!

I don't think fellas are ever intimidated by my height...as I'm not *that* tall.

I would/have gone out with fellas shorter than me.

Rarely wear heels because I can't be arsed. Not much of a heel person.

Larianne wrote: »
    Nooooo, umbrellas are the worst!! Well maybe not for a 6'6 guy but if you're anyway between 5'10-6'2 (i reckon), that's the danger zone for eyes and umbrellas.
    The nice people either raise them, or I put the hand up, and push them (the brolley) to the side. I love doing it, as the people would look up to give me the daggers, see I'm twice their height, and piss off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Larianne wrote: »
    I'm a size 8. I remember, years ago,I really wanted a pair of those Addias super-stars with the pink stripe. Went into Scuh, ya know girls on left, guys on right. Went looking for these trainers. Only up to a size 7. :( The sales assistant then points out some other addidas trainers, in a size 8 on the guys section. I say to her "They're guys shoes." "No they're not". "It's the guys section". I walked out then. :mad:

:pac:

I bought runners from the mens section before, but only because I DIDNT want any pink or glitter on mine :pac: comfiest pair I ever bought, actually

As for the rest of the questions, I'm average height :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KiLLeR CoUCh

I'm 5'8'', so definitely not the tallest in the world but tall enough that when I put on heels some guys to a double take and I get the usual comments "F*ck, you're tall" etc... :rolleyes:

Jeans and trousers to fit aren't so bad, A-Wear and Zara both have a long leg size which fits me fine but anywhere that only does regular is a no go for me. I take a size 6 or 7 in shoes so no problem then either. I am pleasantly surprised that I'm not the only one with problems finding tops to fit. I love wearing cute t-shirts but more often or not there's no point in getting them because they'll never be long enough.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I was having a conversation about women's height in work on Friday. I'm 5'5 and the woman I was talking to is about 5'10, but several of the other girls who work with us are only about 5' to 5'2. One of them said that she's noticed that Cork girls tend to be shorter than girls from other counties - when she's in college in Limerick, she's surrounded by tall girls, but her friends in Cork tend to be short. Has anyone noticed that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Funny enough, yes.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

5'11 and I'd love to be taller by nature actually. I love wearing high heels, but yeah, trousers and skirts are difficult to get sometimes.

I'd have no problem dating someone who's somewhat shorter than me but I don't like the"lilliputter"effect when a guy is considerably shorter than me. It makes me feel like I'm the stronger party when I'm not(I know this sounds weird....)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Faith wrote: »
    I was having a conversation about women's height in work on Friday. I'm 5'5 and the woman I was talking to is about 5'10, but several of the other girls who work with us are only about 5' to 5'2. One of them said that she's noticed that Cork girls tend to be shorter than girls from other counties - when she's in college in Limerick, she's surrounded by tall girls, but her friends in Cork tend to be short. Has anyone noticed that?

That's 'cos you're all further south where the gravity is stronger... :D

*me grins, ducks (not very far mind*) and runs...

*5' 7" or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I'm 5'8 so on the tall side but not enough to cause problems. The only time I could see it causing problems when with someone is in the bedroom :O I don't bother with heels mostly. Can't really see how skirts and dresses would be a problem but sleeve-length can be and length of tops used to be but now I find most shops actually make tops too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

On a happier note, it's much easier to get shoes now though than it was 10 years ago. And we have our own shoe shop in Dublin now especially for girls with special feet. It's a start! Maybe in another decade things will be easier. In the meantime, if anyone can recommend other countries where it is possible to get size 9 shoes for girls, let me know.

I'm pretty sure Topshop do size 9 shoes - I picked up a shoe I was lusting after there during the sales and it was only in that size. Though sales have a weird habit of throwing up sizes that you never see in the shop on a day-to-day basis - the only time I ever see a size 18 in River Island is on the sale rail!

As a wee pocket-sized person I have rather the opposite problem with clothes, but my feet are quite big for my size, they're a 6/7. They feel a bit clownish when my 5"8 friend has teeny size 4 feet (I don't know how she manages to stay upright, esp in heels!).

I think girls here are getting taller - I've only a couple of friends around my height, most are average height or a few inches taller. We have a bit of a way to go to catch up with Dutch girls though, so maybe Holland would be a good place to go to get some new threads!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

have to agree about tops and sleeve lengths
    Im just over 5 10 and have been this height since I was 13 and spend all of my teens stooping to everyone else but it is great when Im out with my family as this is a normal height for us my brothers range from 6 ft to 6 4 so we are a tall bunch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Im 6'1. I wouldn't say it has made my life more awkward but I guess it has shaped my life in some small way. I generally find I am taken a lot more seriously and get more respect in the workplace than my shorter colleagues. I guess being tall brings with it a certain commanding presence. However, I do think it has made me a bit more socially awkward then I would have been If I was normal height. When you grow up all gangly and lanky it makes you a bit shy as you alway stick out.
    Yep,no problem with it. Though I find most smaller men I've dated feel a bit insecure about me being taller than them.
    Well most dresses I would wear as tops. I love wearing skirts and often look like I am showing way more leg than I am,just because my legs are very long!It used to be only Topshop Tall that I could buy clothes in but thanks to the influx of European shops, its now much easier to get cheap clothes for tall women. Bershka and Stradvarius are both excellent for doing long sleeve lenghts. Though I did spend most of the 90's and early noughties in jacked up jeans cos I couldn't get any to fit :)
    Yes. On an average night out my friends would get chatted up a lot more than me. Not all, but a good few men, really couldn't handle a women being taller than them, as they relish the manly protector role too much.
    Well sometimes you want to wear a really gorgeous dress or outfit, and it just looks dowdy and stupid with flats.
    Faith wrote: »
    +1. I moved down to Cork In September and feel like a complete freak everytime I go outside the door! I tower over everyone, both guys and gals. I'm originally from Limerick, and I've noticed that people tend to be very short on the whole in Munster.
    I feel a lot more normal sized when Im up in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Citygirl1

Swirls wrote: »
    On a happier note, it's much easier to get shoes now though than it was 10 years ago. And we have our own shoe shop in Dublin now especially for girls with special feet. .

Hi - I actually have the opposite problem, having very small feet! Usually size 3 or 3 and a half, but sometimes I've tried on size threes and still found them too big. So, I'm wondering about this shoe shop for girls with "special feet". Does it cater for small feet, as well as big ones? :o If so, which shop?

Advertisement