Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the Worst Ireland Could get ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Pangea wrote: »
    Oh ok, thanks for that. Hurricane force gusts then smile.gif

I fell into the same trap a two days ago myself ~ but hurricane force winds as in steady winds were reported. I did not mark or check the report, it's in the other thread on wind for the 4Th & 5th. And asaifk; confirmed in MT reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Another cr%p summer:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Hmmm. What is the definition of 'sustained'. As in sustained wind speed. A minute? 2?

Are you sure that was an actual hurricane? not just hurricane winds, but an actual hurricane? I've never heard of it . . .:confused:

We get lashed by hurricane remnants a lot, most would be classified as ex-tropical storms and would usually be weakening as they approach our coast. Occasional they intensify and we get a good Cat 1.

However, more damaging to us is the trough type storm like we've had for the last three days and it was a storm like this that that was the night of the big wind January 6 - January 7, 1839.

It produced winds estimated @ 115 Miles Per Hour [185 kmh] lashing the country in rolling wind storms or sometimes called horizontal tornadoes.

Another difference between a hurricane and a trough is the possibility of tornadoes on the ground. Almost all hurricanes will produce damaging tornadoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

morticia2 wrote: »
    There was also Hurricane Charlie, wasn't there?? 1980s sometime?

Remember that quite well as it was on my birthday in 1986, Aug 25th. Have to say though, while it was extremely windy with a fair amount of damage, and lots of rain, i'm not sure if it warranted the hurricane tag.

It was back in the pre-internet days, and the first I heard about it coming was the headline in the Irish Press that afternoon, Hurricane Charlie Set To Strike Ireland.

Pretty wild, but Hurricane ?....I dunno.

Rrea00119860826.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I remember that storm/hurricane/whatever you want to call it!
    It was unbelievable. The noise of the wind was serious, I remember people couldn't go out side, it was too dangerous with all the debris blowing around, or should I say hurling passed at a ferocious rate. Not that you could stay on your feet even if you did go out. Slates of the houses were deadly missiles. If it wasn't nailed down, or even if it was, it was blown around like it was a mere feather. Trees were bent right over and loads just snapped. The electricity was off for a good few days. I enjoyed toast made on the open fire, card games and walking around with candles :D mad exciting at the time... was a weather fanatic even then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

It was only called hurricane charlie because it had been hurricane charlie when it first formed, wasn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yes, it had been downgraded to "storm" but the media just can't resist exciting terms like Hurricane so Hurricane Charlie is was, until it past Ireland then it was "storm".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

It only barely made Cat 1 status for a short period before weakening and transitioning well before reaching us, but for some reason people like to pretend we did actually get a hurricane. You don't see the States saying they got a hurricane if it had already weakened to a tropical storm by reaching land.

We don't get hurricanes in Ireland - full stop. We do occasionally get storms that have hurricane-force winds, but they're a totally different beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Tropical cyclones are classified into three main groups: tropical depressions, tropical storms, and a third group whose name depends on the region.
    A tropical depression is an organized system of clouds and thunderstorms with a defined surface circulation and maximum sustained winds of less than 17 metres per second (33 knots, 38 mph, or 62 km/h). It has no eye, and does not typically have the spiral shape of more powerful storms.
    A tropical storm is an organized system of strong thunderstorms with a defined surface circulation and maximum sustained winds between 17 and 33 meters per second (34 to 63 knots, 39 to 73 mph, or 62 to 117 km/h). At this point, the distinctive cyclonic shape starts to develop, though an eye is usually not present.

magnify-clip.png
    Eye of Typhoon Odessa, Pacific Ocean, August 1985

The term used to describe tropical cyclones with maximum sustained winds exceeding 33 meters per second (63 knots, 73 mph, or 117 km/h) varies depending on region of origin, as follows:
    • hurricane in the North Atlantic Ocean, North Pacific Ocean east of the dateline, and the South Pacific Ocean east of 160°E
    • typhoon in the Northwest Pacific Ocean west of the dateline
    • severe tropical cyclone in the Southwest Pacific Ocean west of 160°E or Southeast Indian Ocean east of 90°E
    • severe cyclonic storm in the North Indian Ocean
    • tropical cyclone in the Southwest Indian Ocean
    This is the intensity at which tropical cyclones tend to develop an eye, which is an area of relative calm surrounded by the strongest winds of the storm, in the eyewall. The strongest of these storms have had maximum sustained windspeeds recorded at 85 meters per second (165 knot, 190 mph, 305 km/h).
    In other places in the world, hurricanes have been called Bagyo in the Philippines, Chubasco in Mexico, and Taino in Haiti.
    Hurricanes are categorized on a 1-to-5 scale according to the strength of their winds, using the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale. A Category 1 storm has the lowest wind speeds, while a Category 5 hurricane has the strongest. These are relative terms, because lower category storms can sometimes inflict greater damage than higher category storms, depending on where they strike and the particular hazards they bring. In fact, tropical storms can also produce significant damage and loss of life, mainly due to flooding.
    The U.S. National Hurricane Center classifies hurricanes of Category 3 or above as Major Hurricanes. The Joint Typhoon Warning Center classifies typhoons with wind speeds of at least 150 mi/h (67 m/s or 241 km/h; a strong Category 4 storm) as Super Typhoons.
    The definition of sustained winds recommended by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) is that of a ten-minute average, and that definition is adopted by most countries. However, a few countries use different definitions: the United States, for example, defines sustained winds based on a 1-minute average wind measured at about 10 meters (33 ft) above the surface.
    An extratropical cyclone is a storm that was once tropical in nature. However, once it passed over land or cool waters, its energy source changed from released heat from condensing water to the difference in temperature between air masses. From space, these storms resemble a comma. Extratropical cyclones still can be dangerous because their continuing low pressure causes powerful winds.
    In the United Kingdom and Europe, some severe northeast Atlantic cyclonic depressions are referred to as "hurricanes," even though they rarely originate in the tropics. These European windstorms can generate hurricane-force windspeeds but are not given individual names. In British shipping forecasts, winds of force 12 on the Beaufort scale are described as "hurricane force".
    There is also a polar counterpart to the tropical cyclone, called an arctic cyclone.

In my view , for uk and Ireland to recieve an actual hurricane we would need to 1. See the structure of a hurricane ( with eye ) , 2. For us to get substained wind speed in excess of 65mph. 3. For us to see one HELL of a lot of rain! .... And 4. Boards.ie to overload due to the amount of refresh buttons pressed! ...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The best Ireland could get is two foot of snow from a massive snow storm due to a battle ground scenario. This scenario was played out 78 years ago. Paddy1 remembers it well;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

The best Ireland could get is two foot of snow from a massive snow storm due to a battle ground scenario. This scenario was played out 78 years ago. Paddy1 remembers it well;)

I could live with that. Stock up on fuel for the fire and body :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

This scenario was played out 78 years ago. Paddy1 remembers it well;)

I actually don't Nacho, I was only 5 at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I actually don't Nacho, I was only 5 at the time!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,826 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Though not weather events the two biggest potential disasters could both be seismic.

1. A major eruption in Iceland with ash & a tsunami risk

2. A breakaway/collapse in the Canaries causing a tsunami.

The various inlets like Galway Bay would funnel a tsunami & the shore is very shallow on the Galway side.

The stopping of the Gulf Stream would also be pretty catastrophic.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

^^

what would the actual outcome be if this happened ???

• Registered Users Posts: 15,826 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

NIALL D wrote: »
    ^^

what would the actual outcome be if this happened ???

We get weather like Canada. So maybe 6 months of snow every Winter.

The theory is that, as the Greenland Ice sheets melt, the fresh water reduces the salinity of the sea & stops the stream & it has happened before.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

Discodog wrote: »

The theory is that, as the Greenland Ice sheets melt, the fresh water reduces the salinity of the sea & stops the stream & it has happened before.

o rite , cool , thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

A return of the present government would be catastrophic, even worse than bad weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Discodog wrote: »

Sorry i'm coming from an ignorant position here. Would the recreation of ice caps caused by a stalled Gulf Stream liven it back up again?

• Advertisement

dsmythy wrote: »
    Sorry i'm coming from an ignorant position here. Would the recreation of ice caps caused by a stalled Gulf Stream liven it back up again?

Not fully understood. Currents get started from an event or series of events. In many cases these currents become their own engine and continue long after the process that initiated them has ceased.

Therefore one theory is the current would dissipate if stopped. Simply removing the blocking force may not be enough to restart the current. One school of thought says the current has no initiator today so it would not start today if stopped.

Alternatively, It might realign itself elsewhere and it might take a major event to make it move back again into its current position. The time factor is also a serious issue and some studies suggest a minimum of 50 year to more like 500 years before the current would be fully restored [if it were possible].

The lower salinity of the water would likely remain a blocking force for many years at least even if a cold period replaced the ice in Greenland. The waters around Greenland would [likely] remain somewhat still without the effects of the current.

Naturally, quantities would be a major factor and there just might not be enough fresh water to make the effect.

Advertisement