Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viber for Android

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Well, I can call up the keyboard if I want to filter, but the HTC displays the numeric keypad as soon as you open contacts... that bit isn't standard.

Some way to filter is definitely desirable, I just wouldn't get too stressed about trying to replicate a particular interface style. There are a number of variants.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Well that's the beauty of Android. As its open source I'm sure its not too difficult to piece a few of these features together. It's like the WhatsApp app - its better on Android than it is on iPhone. Afaik on Android it pulls in the persons photo from the call list / facebook. Also has smilies built in which the iPhone version does not.

As goodshapre says though, just some form of way to find contacts easier than scrolling would be handy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I have a question....

I have a data plan and my wife doesn't. She's around wifi 80% of the time so that's grand, but if she's outside wifi range and wants to ring me I'm assuming it will just use the normal phone network? How would you know when it's using the normal phone network? I wouldn't want to ring my sister in the UK and spend ages on the phone thinking it was free for example, only to get a big bill at the end of the month. :)

This sounds like an amazing app I have to say. Definitely going to install it as soon as it's launched.

Great to see a company rep on the forums too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Iirc it gives you the option to call using viber or a normal call
    Viber2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Viber

Khannie wrote: »
    I have a question....

I have a data plan and my wife doesn't. She's around wifi 80% of the time so that's grand, but if she's outside wifi range and wants to ring me I'm assuming it will just use the normal phone network? How would you know when it's using the normal phone network? I wouldn't want to ring my sister in the UK and spend ages on the phone thinking it was free for example, only to get a big bill at the end of the month. :)

Note that on the top-left corner of your iPhone screen it says whether or not you are connected to the internet via 3G (visible in the screenshot inside the previous post).

In other words - if your wife is connected to WiFi, then it's free for sure. If she's connected via 3G, her cellular company would charge her for 3G data minutes (or she might even have a pre-paid monthly unlimited plan, i don't know), but not for a long-distance cellular call.

ONLY if she doesn't have a plan, Viber will suggest to divert to call to a normal cellular call (turning the screen grey, unlike Viber's purple), and on Viber 1.1 we also added a warning message, informing the user that the call is going to be 'regular'.

• Advertisement

Sounds great. Thanks. Looking forward to the android version. Three android phones in our house and they'll all be getting it. :)

Basically Everyone with an Android or iPhone needs to have this app - free messaging and calls to all these users, happy bloody days! Everyone just needs to keep shouting about it and spread the word!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

I have heard of a couple of people who have got spammed messages since installing Viber.
    not saying it is related but can Viber rep confirm if your number is passed onto any third party?

ftm2008 wrote: »
    I have heard of a couple of people who have got spammed messages since installing Viber.
    not saying it is related but can Viber rep confirm if your number is passed onto any third party?

We have heard these claims from a few of our users.
    Though we knew with 100% certainty that this had nothing to do with us, we investigated the matter, and found no connection to Viber Media.

I would like to clarify: we DO NOT sell users' information to third-parties, and we keep this information WELL locked in our servers, with extremely limited access to it.

If you know of someone in specific who suffered from that 'spam', feel free to direct him to me, so we can check the issue :)

Thanks,
    Viber.

Zascar wrote: »
    Basically Everyone with an Android or iPhone needs to have this app - free messaging and calls to all these users, happy bloody days! Everyone just needs to keep shouting about it and spread the word!

Agreed. An app like this should be enough to push most people into the smartphone world. I know my mother in law would eat this up for example. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Does anyone know which version of Android will be supported, very unlikely (99.9% certain its not) my phone is ever going to be updated from 2.1, so do I stand any chance of getting this?

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Does anyone know which version of Android will be supported, very unlikely (99.9% certain its not) my phone is ever going to be updated from 2.1, so do I stand any chance of getting this?

Generally,
    Viber should support Android 2.0 and above.
    Specifically about 2.1 - there is still some uncertainty involved, since we have encountered some unexpected technical complexity in the past few weeks.
    It doesn't mean it won't be supported forever, of course. We are working hard these days in order for all version of Android above 2.0 will be fully compatible.

Aside from that, I would like to deliver a message from our company to all our users:

Recently there have been some complaints about Viber calls that don't get through, or over-consumption of battery. We have realized that many users choose to completely shut Viber off when they don't call (relying on Push Notifications for receiving calls).

But this solution actually causes the reverse effect - it disrupts incoming calls, and it wastes battery life, trying to activate the Push Notification mechanism each time a call is received.

For those of you with iPhone 3Gs and up (with "Multitasking") - we advise all our users to keep their Viber running in the background, thus saving battery life and hopefully fixing the "Missed Call" bug.

Thanks, and as usual if you have more questions please let me know,
    Viber.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

Any news on release date?

Agreed. An app like this should be enough to push most people into the smartphone world. I know my mother in law would eat this up for example. :)
    The unfortunate thing is that many people who would love it most are on PrePay tarrifs which do not come with a data package, and its an expensive add on.

LukeS_ wrote: »
    Any news on release date?

Mid-late March, but no exact date yet.

Viber is that the date for the official release or the Beta? If it is the official release then when will people be getting access to the beta?

Yes please on some beta action for boards users. ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yes please on some beta action for boards users. ;)
    What he said. Can't wait to get this. I know a few iPhone users already using it.

Estimated releases:

1. Beta version of Android - beginning of March. An official mail will be sent out by us with the application and instructions.
    2. Official version of Android - end of March.

Please keep in mind that these dates are subject to small changes, since we want to be sure that our product works smoothly and that users' comments have all been addressed before the official release.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Viber wrote: »
    Estimated releases:

1. Beta version of Android - beginning of March. An official mail will be sent out by us with the application and instructions.
    2. Official version of Android - end of March.

Please keep in mind that these dates are subject to small changes, since we want to be sure that our product works smoothly and that users' comments have all been addressed before the official release.

I assume we'd have to sign up for this beta. If so, how do we do that?

• Advertisement

It's linked early on the the thread AC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Has viber been released for Blackberry yet? Very excited about the release of viber for android as I'll be able to keep in contact with my brother in Cambodia, what'sapp is one thing, but it will be great to talk to him again as he's never on skype! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

This sounds good, one question that I haven't seen answered yet, is there any way to advertise your number as a free call? So for example, on my business website, how would I go about letting prospective customers know that their phone call to me would be free if they have Viber and can it only register the actual mobile number of my phone? Basically, the numbers on my website are re-routed to my mobile anyway, I don't display my mobile number on my website and would prefer not to but would like to let viewers see a "free" way to call me, not only because it's free, but it's also a great sounding technology and sounds like it has the potential to catch on providing of course mobile operators don't bar its use :o

Viber wrote: »
    Estimated releases:
    1. Beta version of Android - beginning of March. An official mail will be sent out
    Fantastic! So will everyone that has registered to receive the beta actually get it or is it selective? Only 2 weeks to wait, nice :)

@squeakyduck

Viber will be compatible with Blackberry in the future, but since it's much more technologically complex than iPhone or Android, we don't have exact dates yet.

@cormie

The only way to register your Viber in the first place is to receive an activation code via SMS. This means is that you can use any cellular phone in order to register and receive the code in (and this will be your Viber number).
    If, theoretically, you can receive that SMS in a landline (real or redirected), then that will your Viber number as well.

Alternative solution: after you type your landline number in the registration screen and click "Continue", you move on to the next screen, where there is a "No Code" button on the top-right corner of the screen. Click it, and you'll move to an automated conversation screen. There you should be able to receive the code via a voice call to the number you initially typed!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the reply, interesting, will keep an eye on it :)

Hi everyone,
    I know this is an Irish forum, but I thought I would try my luck here as well:

We (Viber Media) heard that Vodafone UK has recently decided to completely block VoIP over their 3G network. This means, of course, that Viber is also blocked and cannot be used on their 3G network.

Are there any Brits here who can confirm this? Do you know anyone living in the UK who is a Vodafone UK subscriber and can check this issue for us?

I thank you in advance,
    Viber.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

great

That's shocking. people should start switching to other networks if this keeps up!

• Advertisement

Viber, does Viber work on the iPod Touch? A friend has one and tried it but it did not work, however some reports online says it does.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement