Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible zinc mine in Caherconlish

Options
  • 04-02-2011 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Given the increase of surveying in the area and recent report from the Limerick Leader it is possible a zinc mine may be estabished in the Caherconlish area.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

What would be the effect to the area and how far around the area will the affected?

I live nearby and am anxious about having a mine nearby.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭phog

Early days yet, afaik, this is an initial survey so it may be a bit early to be talking about mining zinc in Co. Limerick.

From an economy and jobs point of view this should be brilliant for the region but like everything this will come at a cost more especially to the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

a lot of money has been spent buying up property, one must assume that some information has been advailable to the purchasers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Johan_ie

I live in Caherconlish and have been looking into this. The company involved is called Minco. www.minco.ie. It looks like there is a very strong possibility of a mine opening in the region, with operations starting around 2017.
    Obviously it will all have to go through the planning process.
    I'm not sure how I feel about it. On one hand it will bring much needed jobs, but I'd have big concerns about living so close to a mine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

They are currently doing a seismic survey from Breary's cross into Caherconlish and all the way to Caherelly. This must be a road distance of over 5 miles. I'm nervous now - how spread out can a mine be??

hopefully big enough to rescue ireland from the clutches of the ecb/imf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

just wondering, whats the big concern with living near a mine? I'm from Caherconlish and would see a mine in the location as being a very positive investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

They are in the next field to me now! It's getting closer :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Johan_ie

My worries would include blasting, pollution, and increased road traffic. Have a look at Tara mine on google maps as an example of the kind of site you will be living near.
    The lisheen mine is near the old N8 and there is a stream of artics running 24/7 hauling ore to cork port. Traffic through Caherconlish is bad enough at the moment with mr binman and roadstone trucks without adding this.
    I know it's early days and there are no plans published yet but I am concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

I was in the County Council offices a couple of weeks ago and there are prospecting notices from the same company over a large area from Caherconlish, including Grange, Bruff and Hospital.

Regarding the seismic survey, is this the miles and miles of orange cabling I've been seeing by the side of the R513 road from Caherconlish towards Herbertstown? I passed today and the guys seemed to be winding it back into the truck. It's also from Caherconlish along the back road, almost to Bohermore school.

fleabag wrote: »
    I was in the County Council offices a couple of weeks ago and there are prospecting notices from the same company over a large area from Caherconlish, including Grange, Bruff and Hospital.

Regarding the seismic survey, is this the miles and miles of orange cabling I've been seeing by the side of the R513 road from Caherconlish towards Herbertstown? I passed today and the guys seemed to be winding it back into the truck. It's also from Caherconlish along the back road, almost to Bohermore school.

Orange Cables

I was hoping we were getting fiber optic broadband :(

Ah well maybe some day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Yup - the orange cables are for the seismic survey (sorry Agent 99) They were running them outside my house yesterday:eek:

i'd love to know where the proposed mine will be although that prob won't be decided untill the results of the survey are in.

tara_mines_navan_co_meath_ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jpmg

I live in the Caherconlish area...Mining globally has a terrible reputation and we can't be complacent about the Xstrata / Minco activities.

Mining brings with it a tremendous amount of HGV traffic, dust, environmental damage, land disruption, explosions, risks to those above and below ground. In a recession we might just look at the 'jobs' aspect. Xstrata and other mining companies have a lot to gain if we are complacent here and focus only on the immediate jobs situation instead of the longer term damage that mining in the area will cause. For the moment you can request that Xstrata Mining stay off your own site/land by emailing geophysics@tesla-imc.com and blaneyd@gmail.com. They sent a person around soliciting access to our land and provided those email addresses...I did tell them that I don't want them on our land. There is BIG money for these global mining firms, at the expense of our rural area.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Skill

Xstrata have a poor reputation globally. From a fairly cursory googling, they are facing protests in South Africa, Philippines, Peru, and are being sued in Australia for lead poisoning of a child

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 limk4liam

Same business going on at the moment in Ballybricken North by a geophysical contractor called TESLA-IMC International Limited on behalf of Teck Ireland Ltd who are an International mining company. This location is about 5km west of Caherconlish. Teck Ltd seem to be pumping a large amount of capital into this surveying as the contractors are from England and working 7days a week. Also they are the same company who had that plane flying low across county Limerick about 8/12 weeks ago surveying from the air for the same thing. Without doubt there is a large amount of some mineral/metal (probably zinc) in an axis between Pallasgreen-Caherconlish-Grange-Herbertstown. Teck Ltd definitely have € signs in their eyes for a huge mine within this area and I can't wait to see what all this surveying finds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 d0nroberto

Looks like to me there are two groups of companies that have licenses in that area for exploration.
    Minco & Xstrata have licenses for around Pallas Green to Caherconlish to Ballybricken.
    While a pocket is held by Connemara Mining/Limerick Lead & Teck.

Have a look at http://www.mineralsireland.ie
    For a map of the areas they are looking in

While you can also see what company has what exploration license e.g. 2529
    http://www.mineralsireland.ie/NR/rdonlyres/3645F596-45EB-4F0A-94B5-69FF1F623E21/0/6mthreport31122010.pdf

They must have found a big seam as the seismic survey area seems to be expanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

They have been testing as far over as Meanus, Im actually getting fed up of them delaying me everyday, blocking off roads? In what paper have they taken out advertisements informing people what roads they are blocking off and when.

I am delayed about 20mins a day because of them as Im going from newere between Meanus to Holycross, Herbertstown, Loughgur to name but a few places as I am in the process of replacing some broadband aerials.....miffed

I am all for Job creation but Im getting tired of all these delays.

If you are being delayed frequently by unexpected road closures, I found out that you can ring and speak with the Annacotty (Co Lmk) County Council Roads Engineer since the surveying compan(ies) are required to liase with him. If these companies are frequently closing the roads and it seems unreasonable, just ring the Annacotty County Council and let them know (061 33 15 44). This particular UK-based surveying company come in and do all their stuff and then go to the next possible mining site wherever that is. They are not focused on whether they are making us late for work/collecting our kids/etc. - Speed and saving money are their focus. If their road closures are unreasonable just ring 061 33 15 44 and it could help to keep the delays to a minimum...or at least get them to let locals know when roads will be closed! if we say nothing the mining/surveying companies will do whatever they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Thanks for that, I think at this stage they are sick of seeing me, I have come across them now about 500 times lol on different roads and they generally seem to wave me on wonder have they read this thread lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SiobhZero

I also live in the area, have seen the orange cables, had the plane flying over my house every 5 minutes...

At risk of sounding like a conspiratory theorist, if you trawl the internet for info on the mine in Caherconlish/Stonepark, which I have been doing for about a year now, there is surprisingly little new info out there, its as if there is a deliberate tactic of keeping the public and especially the locals in the dark.

This opinion was re-inforced when I spoke to a guy from the ESB who "would" be responsible for installing high powered cables to the mine, he had no knowledge of any mine :confused:

I have also spoken to a close relative who has a degree in Environmental Science, she has assured me that the laws are in place to take care of the local environment, I wish I was as sure as she is.

Limerick Leader (16 July 2011 page 13) a Mining / Teck Planning Notice - notice says "DISCHARGE OF EFFLUENT TO WATERS - Teck Ireland Ltd. plans to apply for a licence to discharge trade effluent to groundwater." The notice says Drilling fluids and Effluent may take place across Beabus, Rathmore, Crecora, Rockfield, Williamstown, Ballyneety, Rochestown, Fedamore, Stonepark, Lough Gur Areas, and Herbertstown."

I'm not so sure that I want 'discharge of trade effluents' in the water around our local area. There is no planning notice number / reference number. Anyone know what the planning process is here as I want to keep an eye on this and I'm concerned that it's not handled in a transparent way as it's underground activity etc.

• Advertisement

Ah wonderful - "drilling fluids" and effluent possibly heading for Lough Gur.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

fleabag wrote: »
    Ah wonderful - "drilling fluids" and effluent possibly heading for Lough Gur.

Might actually improve the quality of the water there.
    We took our puppy up there at the weekend and I couldn't believe how bad the water looked.
    I remember when you could actually see the bottom of that lake.

Loch Gur is a beautiful and peaceful place that does not have significant rivers or streams feeding the lake, so the water quality varies. Zinc mining effluents will add lead, arsenic, zinc, chromium, iron and other muddy junk to Loch Gur and area water bodies...somehow I don't think that's going to help! Mining companies have a bad reputation since they take what they want and leave behind a big ugly mess. I'm worried and want to understand what can be done to preserve the environment in the area. Any practical / logical ideas?

Now I don't know a thing about this but if the company is applying for a licence is it possible to object to the granting of said licence? Also are there any local or national environmental groups that might know more about the implications of effluent discharge and mining in general? Local TD's?

First step though is maybe a call to the Council to find out more about the licence and how to object if necessary/possible.

ah yes, then it is passed on again to another company for yet more bucks, another cash cow one has to presume,

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

If someone would be as good as to put up a summary of Glencore I would appreciate it as Im busy at the moment, however I do think that their history is worth noting.

After all, even the American government are afraid of them.

There's obviously enough promise in this Pallas Green site to interest one of the leading zinc production companies together with over a hundred potential drill sites still to check.

Having seen a few of the drill sites around, I was wondering how do they get permission to drill in the first place - can land owners object?

"17.6 million tonnes of inferred resources" would sure leave a big hole in Caherconlish. I'd be really interested to have more information about this as it doesn't seem as if these companies are hanging around.

Why would the land owners object, the rig only takes up about 4m sq and rumor has it they get €100 per day (iirc) for it to be on their land.

They can camp in my garden for that type of money ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 veyron

hey anyone hearing anything on the progrss of the mine in pallasgreen and caherconlish

Advertisement