Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frog/Frogspawn and Newt watch 2011

Options
  • 03-02-2011 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭

I'm opening a thread for Frogs/Frogspawn and Newt sightings. I haven't seen any yet. Usually about the middle of month, but there probably is already some in milder areas.
    I have seen a couple of frogs. One the hens found :( and the other was hibernating in a 2" pipe which was semi buried.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BargainHunter

Mothman wrote: »
    the other was hibernating in a 2" pipe which was semi buried.
    What was the pipe made of? Plastic pipes dont seem provide any insulation from cold temperatures, so Id be if surprised wildlife would use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

What was the pipe made of? Plastic pipes dont seem provide any insulation from cold temperatures, so Id be if surprised wildlife would use it.
    Yes it was short length of plastic 2" duct, but it was partly buried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Nothing yet in my garden...

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭wildlifeman

first one to post a pic with frogspawn and the location gets a prize from mothman.

first one to post a pic with frogspawn and the location gets a prize from mothman.
    Cash prize only:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

Theres frog spawn in Bantry area, seen in several ponds localy in the last week.

Nearly went for 6 last night, opened the door and had to adjust my step to avoid stepping on a frog......and I was sober!

Frog sightings can be entered on Biology.ie
    and IPCC (Irish Peatland Conservation Council)

I saw this today, while removing duckweed from my pond, here in Co Kildare. I also heard a croaking sound closeby. I dont know whether its a frog or toad, but Im surprised its on the bank, where birds might peck at it.

6dldcy6

And zoomed in.
    IMGP4029.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

I saw frogs and spawn up on Ballycuggaran East Clare today. Didn't have my camera with me. The frogspawn was in water, looked very similar to picture above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

Bargain Hunter; Go see Mothman about ye prize. But, first; Put that stuff back in the water ;)

Saw frogs yesterday and now a Heron may be a permanent fixture in the garden for next few weeks. Saw it getting a frog today.
    No spawn though.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Very busy spawning area on the marsh between the two lakes at Glendalough. Hundreds of frogs can be seen from the boardwalk.

About 20 frogs in my new small pond. The first spawn during past couple hours.

This pond is quite near house and I doubt the Heron will be brazen enough to frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mgwhelan

the one on the left is frogspawn but whats the one on the right

2rg0xo9.jpg

mgwhelan wrote: »
    the one on the left is frogspawn but whats the one on the right
    It could be frogspawn covered in pond silt.

It could be frogspawn covered in pond silt.
    That's what it is
    likely to be a day or 2 old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Out and about today, saw four big blobs of frog spawn, lots of movement in the drains too.

This morning, 10 blobs of spawn in the small pond, one yesterday.
    25 in the large pond, none yesterday. This is where the Heron currently spends the day.

Same here. New clumps of spawn appearing in pond every morning. The weather has been very mild for the last week, so that must be encouraging the frogs to get busy. Other signs of spring are also appearing. I saw a ladybird, a cloud of midges and some red worms in the compost heap.

Today temperatures starting to drop, so there may be a pause in the activity for the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

25 in the large pond, none yesterday. This is where the Heron currently spends the day.

What else eats frog spawn, beside herons? I've a plastic one here I might plonk him beside the spot with the most spawn to deter the real McCoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

John; Do ye remember the thread, on THL, where 'Mollie' asked what it was she was finding along the sheep tracks?

As I recall, it was basically frog spawn without the black dots? Small clumps of it, all over the tracks.

We all discussed the hell out of it then. Then I moved on. Next thing I know; I'm finding the same damn thing here! icon_eek.gif

I also find an ungodly number of squashed frogs up my track. And this is a track ~ the upper part of it, which I'm talking about ~ which is probably lucky to see a couple of motors a night. So, it must be pretty thick with frogs, of a 'spring' night?

Thing is though; I've also found this 'clear frog spawn'. Even where I Know no motor's been the night before. And yet, no sign of a squashed frog either :confused:

Question: Do female frogs, on their way to the breeding waters, spontaneously abort their unfertilised eggs for some reason?

But; Surely the embryonic 'Black Spot' in viable spawn is visible pretty much as soon as a (mated with, in the water) frog drops it?

wallbash.gif Decade ago, I'd have just breezed into my 'Tank Room' and simply observed the answers before my eyes. Skimmed through my note books .....

Pee's me off .....

A day later, perhaps 40 blobs in small pond. This pond did not exist this time last year! though only 15m from the large pond. Also saw a newt last night and male frogs all around the shore. About 20 in all.

The heron is not eating the spawn, but the frogs. Later when the tadpoles are out, the Moorhens will live among the black wriggly mass for a couple weeks.

No sign of my frogs yet, but they didn't arrive till the start of March last year and the last week in Feb the year before confused0006.gif . There was alot of hedgerow/scrub removal and land drainage in the neighbouring farm recently mad0099.gif ,hopefully my frogs are still around......

Just did a count from the house via binoculars.
    70 frogs in large pond, 40 in small pond.
    Heron has had its fill.

Probably 2-3 times that under water.

Constant murmur of the croaking

Just did a count from the house via binoculars.
    70 frogs in large pond, 40 in small pond.
    Heron has had its fill.

Probably 2-3 times that under water.
    Thats incredible. I cant see any frog in my pond, despite the 12 clumps of spawn. I can occasionally hear what sounds like a single frog croaking.

Is there any particular time of day thats better for frog sightings?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Nothing at all here regards frog spawn, am checking daily, haven't even seen a frog:(

Thats incredible. I cant see any frog in my pond, despite the 12 clumps of spawn. I can occasionally hear what sounds like a single frog croaking.

Is there any particular time of day thats better for frog sightings?
    If they see any hint of me they dive, hence the bins from the house.
    they did seems to like the sun and with tonight being frosty, they seem to be submerged.

Saw a newt again though.

It was so busy during the day, the water was constantly bubbling like it was boiling.

To those where the season has not stared, keep the faith, it'll happen in a couple weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Just went out with a torch to have a peep in our small garden pond. 2 clumps of frogspawn :)

Had spotted around 3 frogs in the pond over the past week or so. Love is definitely in the air!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I was in Mayo a couple of years ago visiting a court tomb. It was late February, and the tomb is in a bog. Anyhow, the entire interior of the monument was full of spawn. I have never seen so much in the one place before or since. I am sure I have some photographs of it somewhere on a memory stick. I'll try find them.

Advertisement