Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February Cork Meetup Thread

Options
  • 03-02-2011 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Well January flew by and its time for another thread :)

A few people have been asking me already when there will be a February beers meetup so I propose:

February Boards Beer Meetup

Sat 12th February @ 20.30. Venue to be decided nearer the time.

So ladies and gents - please indicate if you are likely to attend.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

Will be there indeed!
    Looking forward to see you, hope lot of us can make it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭rebelle

Hey

What no poll???;)

I do hope to attend!! Depending on venue.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5 catcarraccoo

well i missed out on the Jan meet-up as i believe i joined perhaps the day after :-(
    am really hoping to make it to the Feb 12th meet and say hello as by all accounts from what i've read it sounds very welcoming so i'm excited; somewhat alot nervous as i'm totally new :o but excited to see how it goes down :)

hmmm just noticed i've no 'sad' face on my smilies... that is sad :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Steviewonder

Ive been on boards a while now.. but havent yet attended a meet up...

Bit nervous ha.. what goes on?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Ive been on boards a while now.. but havent yet attended a meet up...

Bit nervous ha.. what goes on?:)

Nothing, as such goes on people meet, have a few drinks and chat. Everyone was new once so you will be ok, people are very welcoming.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

Its all very civilised really. Just a chance to expand your social circle really. The age group would mostly be in the 20-40 region but anyone of any age is welcome to drop by!

If anyone wants they can PM me for a contact number nearer the time so there is no danger of not finding people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

HAHA, i lol'd at the what goes on bit... we cant tell you that until you've been through the initiation part;):pac:

corkcomp wrote: »
    HAHA, i lol'd at the what goes on bit... we cant tell you that until you've been through the initiation part;):pac:

Hey you!! Don't tell them about the scary dark cupboard that newbies have to spend 5 minutes in otherwise we will get NO more new victims - erm I meant to say "new faces"......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

corkcomp wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 11 galteeview

i know this might sound like a stupid question but do people go to these on their own to meet new people? im a bit apprehensive about it!

• Advertisement

galteeview wrote: »
    i know this might sound like a stupid question but do people go to these on their own to meet new people? im a bit apprehensive about it!

Some people have come on their own and others have brought people with them. I can understand the apprehension it was the same for me the first time I went to one. I have been to a few now and everybody I have met has been friendly and the nights have been good fun.

You'll always find someone willing to give you a contact number so you don't have to wander around wondering who people are

Hey there.

Firstly any question is fine to ask if you don't know so don't worry about it :)

A lot of people do go on their own but sometimes someone might bring a friend / flatmate or partner if they feel really afraid. At the end of the day you are meeting people in a VERY public place so it is totally safe. The meetups are NOT for speed-dating or anything like that - they are just a chance to make new friends and expand your social circle. Also its nice to put faces to names as people on here can chat for years and never know who really is lurking behind the keyboard.

Like I already said I am happy to give anyone my mobile via PM beforehand so you don't have to worry about not being able to find people.

If you REALLY are unhappy you can always "go to the toilet" and never come back - I have done this in other circumstances and it works like a charm :D

I went to my first meetups on my own but these days my wife sometimes comes along.

Ask if you have any more questions. We are all here to help...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

wispyman wrote: »
    Hey there.

Firstly any question is fine to ask if you don't know so don't worry about it :)

A lot of people do go on their own but sometimes someone might bring a friend / flatmate or partner if they feel really afraid. At the end of the day you are meeting people in a VERY public place so it is totally safe. The meetups are NOT for speed-dating or anything like that - they are just a chance to make new friends and expand your social circle. Also its nice to put faces to names as people on here can chat for years and never know who really is lurking behind the keyboard.

Like I already said I am happy to give anyone my mobile via PM beforehand so you don't have to worry about not being able to find people.

If you REALLY are unhappy you can always "go to the toilet" and never come back - I have done this in other circumstances and it works like a charm :D

I went to my first meetups on my own but these days my wife sometimes comes along.

Ask if you have any more questions. We are all here to help...

what do you mean they aren't for speed dating!!!
    :pac::pac:

what do you mean they aren't for speed dating!!!
    :pac::pac:

Well I'm sure your just teasing me with that comment - but I just wanted to make sure that any newbie does not get the wrong idea about the meetups ;)

However if you want to come along I'm sure all the single guys will line up and let you grill them for 5 minutes each. Then you can award points and maybe even let the winner have your mobile number ha ha:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 galteeview

o christ and i was just getting interested in it!:) thanks wispyman maybe if i could get a contact number via PM it would be great..

o christ and i was just getting interested in it!:) thanks wispyman maybe if i could get a contact number via PM it would be great..

Sure thing. By the way don't take us too seriously on here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

I haven't been to a meetup in ages, and would really like to go but... weekends are bad for me! Anyone have any interest in a midweek excursion? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

So hands up who is going Saturday night? Have a party on Friday, so may be a lickle sick for Saturday night too. Or I might not.;)

As Cadyboo says lets get some commitment out of people now!! Please speak up if you think you are likely to go:D

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

I'd like to go, but I'll have to wait & see if I'm working or not :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Saturdays not good for me most times, but have a good nite. will try to make next one:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

440Hz wrote: »
    I haven't been to a meetup in ages, and would really like to go but... weekends are bad for me! Anyone have any interest in a midweek excursion? ;)

*waves

I'm going to be back on weekends soon so would love to swap not making it to the weekend meet ups to not making midweek meet ups for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

cool, see u there then!

Just wanted to say what everyone been saying already really...we were all once going to our very first boards meetup and i guess we were all puzzled by the question "is it actually normal to meet random people and what on earth would we have to talk about":P
    But our meetups have proved to be pretty cool and people have (mostly) come back so it must mean theres something to it:D
    I haven't been to a meetup in ages, and would really like to go but... weekends are bad for me! Anyone have any interest in a midweek excursion?

U can always suggest something in here, there might be someone who would be interested to tag along and meet up sometime midweek. I personally might pop along if it includes cinema + few drinks.
    Would be great if u could make it this saturday tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I'd be on for midweek meetups.

How about something like cinema + pint next week then? Or just quiet midweek pint even?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 gizdai

Hopin to make it out on Sat night!! :) Did ye decide on a starting point?

How about something like cinema + pint next week then? Or just quiet midweek pint even?

I was thinking of something like that too but was gonna suggest a feed in Nando's followed by a movie. Next week is no good for me.

Might be out Saturday but only for a little while, have to meet some friends later on that night.

February Boards Beer Meetup

Sat 12th February @ 20.30 at the Old Oak then probably on to Crane Lane!

Attending

Wispyman
    Mrs Wispyman
    Kart
    galteeview
    gizdai

Maybe
    mudokon
    jujibee
    Cadyboo
    rebelle
    Ainu
    mariebeth
    MsRiri
    Brainyneuron

Plus a few others whose boards name I don't remember!!

Anyone who needs a contact number please send me a PM.

Please post any changes or additions to the list.....

mudokon wrote: »
    I was thinking of something like that too but was gonna suggest a feed in Nando's followed by a movie. Next week is no good for me.

Sounds like a good plan! Let us know when is good for you.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a good plan! Let us know when is good for you.

How does Thursday the 24th suit people?

Are people still heading out tonight or is the weather scaring you all off?

Advertisement