Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people in Mayo Still Support Fianna Fail?

Options
  • 03-02-2011 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Mayo Election Poll

Mayo News Poll

In the above two polls Fianna Fail are still getting strong support, Why?

I just can't understand it, when they are responsible for bringing the country to its knees, for driving the younger generation out of the country, for causing the rest of us to have to pay high taxes for the rest of our lives and most likely our children too.

Whats worse we have a former minister who sat at the cabinet table through all all of these decissions and he is still getting support. Why?

They now have a new candidate, will she be able to reach out to the disillusioned youth of Mayo, will she be able to help to make the changes in an organisation that is beyond repair ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

No way will they get that level of support on 25th Feb.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Probably because they haven't gone over the boards of Mayo or just listen to MWR and they haven't copped onto the ruin that FF have left the country in! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

No way will they get that level of support on 25th Feb.

fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

After people see the reduction of their pay packets (those that still have jobs) i don't see them getting too many votes (except from the few deluded hardcore supporters and the ones that tell their sons/daughters how to vote):mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

im a mayo man and wont be voting ff.i heard on mwr fm that the shinners are doing well in mayo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

sinn Fein seem to be doing well in that Mayo news poll.don't know how accurate it is though,having said that I'd still put money on Calleary getting a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

was talking to a fella that was out canvassing for sinn fein, and he said that they got a good reception on the doorsteps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

In fairness, I don't think either poll will be reflective of the real outcome - 25 votes on the boards poll and I'd imagine only a couple of hundred in the Mayo News one.

I have no doubt Sinn Fein will poll better than they have previously but still don't believe they'll take a seat. I think Michael Kilcoyne declaring his intention will put paid to any chance they had

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

I think it will be interesting to see the election results and the strength of this core FF vote.....For me it doesn't tally with what's happened in the country and like the previous poster has referenced the impact on people's pay slips.

I was at my GP recently and he said that things are terrible with people and that he has never seen things as bad e.g. little income, people struggling to make ends meet and put food on the table. I think these are the people that won't be voting FF.

Not sure if this is true or not but apparently Calleary got "clocked" in Knockmore in the last few weeks. A right thump in the face by all accounts, while out canvassing. Perhaps someone may confirm this if they know first hand?

I don't think that's right if it's true and certainly not fair on him.......IMHO.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Assaulting a candidate is never, ever acceptable. I'd go so far as to say verbally abusing a candidate is unacceptable.

Losing his seat would hurt a lot more, and wouldn't be illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

mayotom wrote: »
    Mayo Election Poll

Mayo News Poll

In the above two polls Fianna Fail are still getting strong support, Why?

I just can't understand it, when they are responsible for bringing the country to its knees, for driving the younger generation out of the country, for causing the rest of us to have to pay high taxes for the rest of our lives and most likely our children too.

Whats worse we have a former minister who sat at the cabinet table through all all of these decissions and he is still getting support. Why?

They now have a new candidate, will she be able to reach out to the disillusioned youth of Mayo, will she be able to help to make the changes in an organisation that is beyond repair ?

Those two polls should be ignored imo. They are totally unscientific and cannot be relied on wahtsoever. Btw who is the former Minister who sat at the Cabinet?? Calleary was a Junior minister.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

If he was assaulted its unacceptable in fairness. Yes he belongs to a party who have ruined us, but physical assault or even abusive assault gets no one no where.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes, it just gives them the underdog position.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Whatever happens in this election I hope that there will be stable government which will encourage the inward investment we badly need.

If Gerry Adams becomes leader of the opposition, Intel and others may consider investing elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Padraig flynn and the road from castlebar to charlestown......

Padraig flynn and the road from castlebar to charlestown......

I don't think that a big incentive for people in the North of the county that don't use this road (day to day or to Dublin). Not enough to secure my vote......now if they did something about Strokestown to Ballaghadereen road that might earn my vote.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

finisklin wrote: »
    I don't think that a big incentive for people in the North of the county that don't use this road (day to day or to Dublin). Not enough to secure my vote......now if they did something about Strokestown to Ballaghadereen road that might earn my vote.;)

Indeed!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

I think it will be interesting to see the election results and the strength of this core FF vote.....For me it doesn't tally with what's happened in the country and like the previous poster has referenced the impact on people's pay slips.

I was at my GP recently and he said that things are terrible with people and that he has never seen things as bad e.g. little income, people struggling to make ends meet and put food on the table. I think these are the people that won't be voting FF.

Not sure if this is true or not but apparently Calleary got "clocked" in Knockmore in the last few weeks. A right thump in the face by all accounts, while out canvassing. Perhaps someone may confirm this if they know first hand?

I don't think that's right if it's true and certainly not fair on him.......IMHO.

Your GP obviously wasn't in practice in the 80's when unemployment was was in the region of 18% and mortgage interest was in the same range and the dole was a pittance.

Firstly Calleary never sat at the cabinet table which is why some people are still voting Fianna Fail because they inform themselves properly on all the issues.

Secondly Calleary didn't get clocked by anyone so that rumour is untrue.

Thirdly many people in Mayo remember the attitude of Fine Gael to the building of one of the prime pieces of infrastructure in the county, namely Ireland West Airport. Fianna Fail stuck with and funded the project while Fine Gael laughed at the stupidity of it being built. Things like that are rarely forgotten.

Your GP obviously wasn't in practice in the 80's when unemployment was was in the region of 18% and mortgage interest was in the same range and the dole was a pittance.

Firstly Calleary never sat at the cabinet table which is why some people are still voting Fianna Fail because they inform themselves properly on all the issues.

Thirdly many people in Mayo remember the attitude of Fine Gael to the building of one of the prime pieces of infrastructure in the county, namely Ireland West Airport. Fianna Fail stuck with and funded the project while Fine Gael laughed at the stupidity of it being built. Things like that are rarely forgotten.

Just to clarify a few points.....

Your right regarding my GP in the 80's he wasn't around for that as he emigrated! Partly becuase of the reasons you outlined! He returned from abroad in the late eighties.....one of the reason's he left the country in the first place was the poor conditions at the time and probably makes him in a better position to compare and contrast the reason's for emigration than most. The fact that he's at the front line now and dealing with people's experiences of the recession at first hand and on a daily basis is certainly more insightful than other professionals.....

DC is a minister of state.....well spotted..... and a great achievement for his first time out as a TD. He's definitely not tarnished with the same sins of more senior members of the party and played it well during his tenure in the Dail in that he didn't get into a position where he had to retire early. Not sure though if the cabinet can take all the credit for the mess that the country is in as the Civil service are the real drivers of this. Patrick Neary, for example, wasn't at the races as his light touch was clearly ineffective.

I think it's unfair for any political party to jump on Knock airport's bandwagon. The idea for this airport didn't originate within any policy frameworks for infrastructure for the West and the real credit lies with Monsignor Horan who had the vision and the tenacity to bring it to fruition. In hindsight a tremendous challenge given the political personalities at the time and any suggestion that FF were on board with this from the start is wide of the mark. Moreover, Monsignor Horan had a band of committed followers who gave up their time and experience freely to help him drive this project.

It is also opportunistic to take away credit from Monsignor Horan by pointing to FG's lack of support for the project. Give credit where it is due......

Regarding DC getting clocked...three different people have said this to me. Thank you for clarfying that he didn't and as I said I was unsure if it was true. Not a nice thing to happen if it was true but in the current climate it would be remiss of FF canvassers not to consider this given the state of rage that some voters are in (as per my GP) reduced income via USC, unemployed etc.

I guess given the strength of your post that there is a strong core FF vote ou there which makes the Mayo consitituency all the more interesting and putting it up to FG to secure 4 seats. Definitely hotting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

That seems to me that you are approaching the election on local issues rather than national issues. I'm not judging you on that but it seems to me voting on the basis that FF backed the building of an airport in 1986 is a bit daft considering the damage they have done to Mayo and the rest of the country. Local councillors for local issues, T.D.s for national issues. Pothole politics must end!

• Advertisement

That seems to me that you are approaching the election on local issues rather than national issues. I'm not judging you on that but it seems to me voting on the basis that FF backed the building of an airport in 1986 is a bit daft considering the damage they have done to Mayo and the rest of the country. Local councillors for local issues, T.D.s for national issues. Pothole politics must end!

You asked a question and I answered. My apologies for doing so seeing as it didn't fit with your viewpoint.

DC can be considered a national politician, he has a high national profile and his concerns are from a national point of view. I am glad you think the the other Mayo candidates were running on a national platform. I think you will find they are playing up their local appeal. Particularly the appeal both this and the previous election for a Mayo Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

What Dara will see on my patio door...............

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdWpTP03lMnE3DMoW7Ziy8mH7zYJZaKeng48syIyB2diyVBkBK&t=1
    :D:mad:

You asked a question and I answered. My apologies for doing so seeing as it didn't fit with your viewpoint.

DC can be considered a national politician, he has a high national profile and his concerns are from a national point of view. I am glad you think the the other Mayo candidates were running on a national platform. I think you will find they are playing up their local appeal. Particularly the appeal both this and the previous election for a Mayo Taoiseach.
    What question did I ask?

What question did I ask?

My apologies, was on my phone replying and that should have read a question was asked. Ther rest of the answer still stands though.

Just to clarify a few points.....

Your right regarding my GP in the 80's he wasn't around for that as he emigrated! Partly becuase of the reasons you outlined! He returned from abroad in the late eighties.....one of the reason's he left the country in the first place was the poor conditions at the time and probably makes him in a better position to compare and contrast the reason's for emigration than most. The fact that he's at the front line now and dealing with people's experiences of the recession at first hand and on a daily basis is certainly more insightful than other professionals.....

DC is a minister of state.....well spotted..... and a great achievement for his first time out as a TD. He's definitely not tarnished with the same sins of more senior members of the party and played it well during his tenure in the Dail in that he didn't get into a position where he had to retire early. Not sure though if the cabinet can take all the credit for the mess that the country is in as the Civil service are the real drivers of this. Patrick Neary, for example, wasn't at the races as his light touch was clearly ineffective.

I think it's unfair for any political party to jump on Knock airport's bandwagon. The idea for this airport didn't originate within any policy frameworks for infrastructure for the West and the real credit lies with Monsignor Horan who had the vision and the tenacity to bring it to fruition. In hindsight a tremendous challenge given the political personalities at the time and any suggestion that FF were on board with this from the start is wide of the mark. Moreover, Monsignor Horan had a band of committed followers who gave up their time and experience freely to help him drive this project.

It is also opportunistic to take away credit from Monsignor Horan by pointing to FG's lack of support for the project. Give credit where it is due......

Regarding DC getting clocked...three different people have said this to me. Thank you for clarfying that he didn't and as I said I was unsure if it was true. Not a nice thing to happen if it was true but in the current climate it would be remiss of FF canvassers not to consider this given the state of rage that some voters are in (as per my GP) reduced income via USC, unemployed etc.

I guess given the strength of your post that there is a strong core FF vote ou there which makes the Mayo consitituency all the more interesting and putting it up to FG to secure 4 seats. Definitely hotting up.

I always give credit where credit is due and Monsignor Horan was the driving force behind the idea of the Airport and saw the project through. Where however did Mosignor Horan go to secure funding for the airport and despite being young I remember the insulting comments made by the oppostion of the day when funding was secured from Haughey.

FF canvassers are more than aware that there is anger out there, where do you think grassroots in any party comes from, ordinary people. There is a certain amount of anger on the doorstep but people are still courteous. The most people enagiging are the FF voters who are unhappy with the direction the party has taken over the last number of years.

There is still a strong core vote and while the media and others gleefully write the party off as dead it most likely be down but not out come Feb 26th.

My apologies, was on my phone replying and that should have read a question was asked. Ther rest of the answer still stands though.
    No need to apologise and I take your point about politicians playing the local card. It's being played where I live also. I'm not sure of the relevance of the airport issue. I thought you meant people will vote FF because they supported the airport being built in 1986. If that's the case then that's daft but maybe I picked you up wrong.

I always give credit where credit is due and Monsignor Horan was the driving force behind the idea of the Airport and saw the project through. Where however did Mosignor Horan go to secure funding for the airport and despite being young I remember the insulting comments made by the oppostion of the day when funding was secured from Haughey.

FF canvassers are more than aware that there is anger out there, where do you think grassroots in any party comes from, ordinary people. There is a certain amount of anger on the doorstep but people are still courteous. The most people enagiging are the FF voters who are unhappy with the direction the party has taken over the last number of years.

There is still a strong core vote and while the media and others gleefully write the party off as dead it most likely be down but not out come Feb 26th.

I think perspective is needed on your Knock airport point. In your initial post you referenced high interest rates, mass unemployment of 18% and crap dole payments....this was the backdrop for building and funding a project that FG questioned - Is this the best use of available resources at a point in time in the 80s? I'm not a FG supporter but I think in the black and dark days of the 80's it was fair to question the merit of this project.

History has shown that it was the right decision and the West has beneifted enormously from its presence and if anything the potential has been undervalued......maybe a more current analogy is where people are questioning the Corrib gas field as to why the state is not getting a bigger cut or running/managing it that more benefits accrue to the region/country. IMO, these are fair questions to ask in the recessionary times.

The campaign is hotting up and I think your right the core FF vote in Mayo will galvinise. I think Chambers may surprise people as she is young and hitting a core message - change, rowing in behind MM, political reform etc. Definitely a better support to DC than DF.

I think perspective is needed on your Knock airport point. In your initial post you referenced high interest rates, mass unemployment of 18% and crap dole payments....this was the backdrop for building and funding a project that FG questioned - Is this the best use of available resources at a point in time in the 80s? I'm not a FG supporter but I think in the black and dark days of the 80's it was fair to question the merit of this project.

History has shown that it was the right decision and the West has beneifted enormously from its presence and if anything the potential has been undervalued......maybe a more current analogy is where people are questioning the Corrib gas field as to why the state is not getting a bigger cut or running/managing it that more benefits accrue to the region/country. IMO, these are fair questions to ask in the recessionary times.

The campaign is hotting up and I think your right the core FF vote in Mayo will galvinise. I think Chambers may surprise people as she is young and hitting a core message - change, rowing in behind MM, political reform etc. Definitely a better support to DC than DF.

You need to look up the actual quotes that were used, wasn't questioning a project, it was the condescending put down of that particular project. And as you have said, it was the right thing to do, in a recession as in life, sometimes you have to specualte to accumulate.

Chambers is an excellent candidate, the anger is very much predominantly amongst Fianna Fail voters towards Fianna Fail in my experience this time around. Many of them may not even vote.

You need to look up the actual quotes that were used, wasn't questioning a project, it was the condescending put down of that particular project. And as you have said, it was the right thing to do, in a recession as in life, sometimes you have to specualte to accumulate.

Chambers is an excellent candidate, the anger is very much predominantly amongst Fianna Fail voters towards Fianna Fail in my experience this time around. Many of them may not even vote.

The quotes used are interesting....on one hand you reference the dark 80's (high unemployment etc.) and on the other your giving credit to FF for a project whose return on investment was incalculable at the time. The play/musical title says it all - "A Wing and a Prayer".

See MM was on the canvass today.....

• Advertisement

The quotes used are interesting....on one hand you reference the dark 80's (high unemployment etc.) and on the other your giving credit to FF for a project whose return on investment was incalculable at the time. The play/musical title says it all - "A Wing and a Prayer".

See MM was on the canvass today.....

So was DC, and probably all the other candidates

Advertisement