Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking at 00 Punto - what to look out for?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

A very good little car.

My mate completed circa 150k miles in an 8v one with no HGF. He just looked after it well and serviced it on the button.

Scrappage got it in the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I've had three 2000 Puntos

one 8v
    one 8v ELX
    and a 1.2 16v Sporting.

The 16v is the engine to go for, and I have to admit, i loved my Puntos...I'm more than likely getting a Sporting as a runaround

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

I've a 2001 hlx punto and its a great little car,cheap tax,insurance,cheap to run and once serviced regularly you'll never have issues with it.does over 45mpg every day and that's me throwing it around! Found it way more reliable than an old Honda I had which had terrible electric issues. Currently own 3 fiats so hate all the Irish mentality towards the brand.try something your daddy hasn't driven!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

MastiffMrs wrote: »
    Currently own 3 fiats so hate all the Irish mentality towards the brand.try something your daddy hasn't driven!

Agree entirely that it's hard to change some peoples perceptions. I mean, if past performances were anything to go by, nobody would touch a Skoda, so I suppose this proves that peoples attitudes are amenable to change. With a good Fiat, a savvy buyer can look beyond the stereotype and grab themselves a genuine bargain.

Also to clarify something I said in my previous post here, the 1.2 8v's are a non-interference engine (broken timing belt won't mash the valves), but the 16v's are interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DamienOB

I had a 98 punto for my first year of driving....

Only problem i had was overheating of radiator and the rear wiper arm... Great to learn to drive in, but my advice for anyone now is not to keep it longer than 6 months. Buy a cheap €400 one, therefore your not afraid of it bumping etc. Then sell it on for €200 or whtever you can and get a good car then

Just my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Get a diesel one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Plug wrote: »

Four links I can't access?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭golfbgud

Wonder how many of the head gasket issues would have been avoided if the cars had proper temp gauges fitted? .......

Mate of mine is plagued with reliability issues including head gasket failure.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

golfbgud wrote: »
    Wonder how many of the head gasket issues would have been avoided if the cars had proper temp gauges fitted? .......

Mate of mine is plagued with reliability issues including head gasket failure.......

All punto's have a temp gauge, and were pre-disposed to head gasket failure. Once properly replaced and looked after, it's unlikely to fail again.

Some small Peugeot and Citroens have no temp gauges fitted, only warning lights to say that car has heated. Such cars could well need a head gasked by the time the light has come on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

shamwari wrote: »
    All punto's have a temp gauge, and were pre-disposed to head gasket failure. Once properly replaced and looked after, it's unlikely to fail again.

Some small Peugeot and Citroens have no temp gauges fitted, only warning lights to say that car has heated. Such cars could well need a head gasked by the time the light has come on!!

And by that time the head is well and truly warped.

Keep a close eye on 'mayonnaise' on the rad cap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement