Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CHANGING TO ZV PLATES

Options
  • 02-02-2011 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a '79 MG BGT on 79 plates (uk import). I'm considering changing to the zv plates..............anyone know what the procedure is for changing over?

Cheers,
    John.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

go to the VRO, give them €50....simples

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^ I think that is the proper procedure.

Go in with your logbook to the VRO and tell then your car is 30+ and to give you a ZV reg number.
    You pay your fee and get the next ZV number in whichever county your car is registered in.

(Obviously you have to get the plate made up yourself).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Not sure of the procedure now, But last year I went to the tax office (where one paid the vrt) I had this done and there was no charge. There is a form specifically for the purpose.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭johnml

cheers guys, hopefully there will be no charge!!

€50...:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

You can keep hoping, but the like Corky says, 50 yoyos. :D

Think you have to go to a NCT place that does registrations now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭johnml

Its already registered, 79-d reg,
    just wanna change to the zv style...............

johnml wrote: »

yep €50....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Caddyman

johnml wrote: »

You have the choice of picking a ZV plate or a year and county plate such as your 79-D-??? when you register a 30 year old car and you pay the fixed VRT of €50 so I doubt they will let you change your plate now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

I think any car (inc ROI old style) can be changed to ZV plates... but not from ZV plates.

• Advertisement

si_guru wrote: »
    I think any car (inc ROI old style) can be changed to ZV plates... but not from ZV plates.

For a definitive answer to this I just now rang the local motortax AND customs offices in Co Louth and they both said NO you can't re-register ANY vehicle once the vehicle is already registered in the Republic of Ireland whether its 30 years old or younger or on old ROI plates or 79-D-123 etc etc!

End of............

• Registered Users Posts: 64,939 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Caddyman wrote: »
    For a definitive answer to this I just now rang the local motortax AND customs offices in Co Louth and they both said NO you can't re-register ANY vehicle once the vehicle is already registered in the Republic of Ireland whether its 30 years old or younger or on old ROI plates or 79-D-123 etc etc!

End of............

I dunno if that's end of, Caddyman. I'm pretty sure some people on here have indeed changed from 79d123 to ZV plates before. Did you ask both of them to confirm their statement in writing / by email?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Alot of the time in my experience the person on the other end of the phone in those departments hasn't a clue of the finer details.

unkel wrote: »
    I dunno if that's end of, Caddyman. I'm pretty sure some people on here have indeed changed from 79d123 to ZV plates before. Did you ask both of them to confirm their statement in writing / by email?

Similarly unkel I would like to hear from someone who has changed their car reg from a 79-D-123 etc to a ZV plate!
    In the meantime I'll ask customs and excise for an email from them and see what comes back but in the meantime see if you can get the people who changed to a ZV plate to post a copy of their documentation and then we can put this to bed!!;)

i didnt do it myself but I used to have a 66cw Cortina that is now on a ZV and Ive known it done many times. Another example is a 1970 Cortina that I had on a 70C that is now on a ZV.

Had exactly the same response when I went to VRO office in Limerick . This cannot be done !! However a gentleman on boards had kindly emailed me a copy of the revenue form which is for changing from 79.. to ZV. When I produced this form , the EXPERT was taken aback and asked where I got it. She then rang Rosslare (I think) and was told to proceed with the change.
    Whether it was the shock or what, she didn;t charge me 50 euro but changed the registration.
    Suffice to say I came out happy on two counts..:D This was around 12 months ago.

its €50...you did well :-)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Shawnee can you send me that form? Thanks

Alot of the time in my experience the person on the other end of the phone in those departments hasn't a clue of the finer details.

Point proven......

Point proven......

Guess what...I'm still awaiting the email I was promised by the customs!!
    I'll follow them up on Monday, without saying anything about our little chat here...I have the person's name that i am dealing with so we will see what happens!!!!!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,939 ✭✭✭✭unkel

shawnee wrote: »
    a gentleman on boards had kindly emailed me a copy of the revenue form which is for changing from 79.. to ZV.

Can you name the form, link to it online, scan it in or do whatever to let us see it in some shape or form? Much obliged - so we can put this to bed. I'm sure many of us have classics (some of them not yet 30 years old) that we might want to re-reg to ZV at some point. I for one sure would consider re-regging my 86G :)

Caddyman wrote: »
    Guess what...I'm still awaiting the email I was promised by the customs!!
    I'll follow them up on Monday, without saying anything about our little chat here...I have the person's name that i am dealing with so we will see what happens!!!!!!;)

You should get an answer similar to here if you push the envelope, most of the ordinary minions in there haven't a clue of the finer details. Sorry to say but its true in most cases.

antodeco wrote: »
    Shawnee can you send me that form? Thanks

I used the form when registering the car and the record is not in my messages on boards. I have a feeling that I may have made an extra copy if I can locate it. Not sure who mailed me the form on this forum but if he/she is reading perhaps they can assist.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

Unless legislation has changed over the last two years, this IS still possible.
    You can change your 71-C-xxx registration into a ZV-xxx registration, but not the other way around. This is something that I found that a lot off staff in the old Vehicle registration offices wouldn't even be aware of, let alone the current NCT centres!!! So I'm pretty confident staff in CUSTOMS & Exise or the Motor Tax office would most certainly not know this, as it;s outside their responsibilities/scope. The only authorities to know about this and which exact form to use, would be the Central Vehicle Registation Offices in Rosslare.

Over the last 10-15 years that I have been trading, at least 4 of my clients have changed their registrations from XX-D-xxxx to ZV.
    As of lately, with the 5 digit ZV numbering, not a lot of people would be interested in this option anymore.

The fact that this is possible, was because of a 'loophole'/escape clause that was introduced following the 1991 ZV license format ammendment to the vehicle registration legislation, to allow people that had registered their Classic Vehicle in the period between 1986 and 1991, when it would not have been possible to opt for a ZV style plate, to change their county denominated plate for a ZV style registration. I think because of the way the ammendment was drawn up, it didn't specifically state that it was ONLY for cars registered BETWEEN 1986 and 1991, just for cars registered AFTER 1986, which would leave open the 'gap' for anyone that first registered their car in the county denominated format, to change it afterwards to the ZV style format. To my knowlegde, there were no costs involved, but I believe some zealous VRO staff, treated it as a full blown registration and charged 50 euro's.

PaulK_CCI wrote: »
    To my knowlegde, there were no costs involved, but I believe some zealous VRO staff, treated it as a full blown registration and charged 50 euro's.

So in short, you shouldn't be charged VRT (cat C) twice?

never thought of that, I guess thats the case..

• Registered Users Posts: 17 arturcreo

hi all, just wondering if it is still possible to change 83-D-XXXX to ZV, please help, thank you

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

arturcreo wrote: »
    hi all, just wondering if it is still possible to change 83-D-XXXX to ZV, please help, thank you
    Once the date in the year of first registration (as per the logbook) has been reached, then yes.

It'll be ZV 100XXX or something stupid like that, though. (In Dublin, anyway...)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Altabani

I don't like the way the ZV numbers are now like ZV 100XXX or ZV60XXX :mad: Once they went from the four digit number they just don't look right.

I wish they had have done something like the old Irish regs having different letters of each counties, then the numbers would not have went so high.

• Advertisement

Lads, Dublin is ten thousand and something in the ZV series, not a hundred thousand and something.

Either way it's crap.

Advertisement