Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leash walking training - pulls after a few steps

Options
  • 01-02-2011 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

My 12 month lab Leon and I are getting along swimmingly. The basic commands are being worked on, sit, down, leave it, etc. and need more training to get down properly but the biggest problem is his leash walking.

He was a terror for pulling but I did the "walk the opposite direction" routine and over a few nights, he cracked it.

He's nearly gotten it now, but every now and again, he think he can pull hard. I have to put all my strength into walking the opposite direction because he's so big. It happens randomly too. He walks fine by my side one second and BAM! off he goes, pulling and breathing loudly. It is starting to hurt my hands and wrists now!

Are we close? Should I keep on turning the moment I feel tightness of the leash?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

I wouldn't like to use a harness - I'd prefer to have him trained without it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RoastBeefDinner

A simple tug back on his leash should do it BUT what command are you giving the dog and is it consistent? The dog will sense any apprehension in your voice.
    hope you crack it;)

It's consistent :) I just let out a "no" and tug back, turn around and walk. I usually say "come on Leon, good boy!" when he turns back and walks with me, then I praise him when he does walk with me.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Try the dogmatic headcollar.

Dont use a harness, its the worse thing you can put on a dog that pulls. Harnesses are used on dogs that are designed to pull sleds etc so it would only encourage the dog to pull and it gives him more power to pull with a harness on.

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »

Dont use a harness, its the worse thing you can put on a dog that pulls. Harnesses are used on dogs that are designed to pull sleds etc so it would only encourage the dog to pull and it gives him more power to pull with a harness on.

Thanks for the info!

Just went out with Leon now for about 45 minutes. He is getting the hang of sitting down whenever we stop (with the word "stop") and we're getting him to only move when I say "Come on, let's go!". That's nearly achieved :)

However the problem still stands. Every now and again he'll randomly charge towards a certain area and I'll have to pull him back with all my force and give him a stern "no". It's tough getting him out of this state because once he starts pulling, he becomes excited!

He's notorious for pulling towards moving cars too, and people in the distance

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

You just have to persevere. My pup tried the pulling thing when he was younger, he's a great dane so I had to get that out of him sharpish.

If he pulled I would stop and say "no pull" and not move, plant myself and not move. This resulted in me looking very silly but we persevered. If he continued to pull after I had stopped I would say "no pull" and turn in the opposite direction and take about 5 steps and then turn around and continue the way we were going.

If he has stopped responding to the "no" command you may need to change it as he may be deaf to it in relation to the action he is committing. Change to "stop" or whatever you want and start at the beginning again.

It may be worth your while investing in a head collar, these are not harmful to the dog if used correctly. If you have a look on youtube you will more than likely find videos of halti head collars and other head collars in use and it'll give you an idea of how they work and if you think they'd be worth your while spending money on.

Leon is possibly coming into his "teenage" phase whereby selective deafness and defiance like when he was a pup will come back into play so his training is very important now.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RoastBeefDinner

Maybe try shorten your hold on the leash? Keep him close to you and call his name before you issue the command this way you get his attention and he doesn't think you are speaking with someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

Are the Dogmatic headcollars available to purchase in pet shops or can they only be bought online?
    Are there different types of Dogmatic headcollars? and if so what type would you suggest for a Retriever?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Can only be bought online, not available in Ireland. They are only a headcollar version. Highly recommend them. I use one on my male rottweiler.

Heres the link:
    http://www.dogmatic.org.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ah but not all harness attach at the back to provide extra puppy power ;) I use a front attach one for my retriever and it suits us both. He has plenty of freedom - he's able to walk with the full lenghth of his lead with his head in the grass - I found when we used a headcollar that the lead seemed to fall in the wrong place for him to have a sniff and he was constanlty stepping over it and then the lead was behind his leg. OP there's exercises you can do to teach him self control eg you throw a treat ahead of you and he'll lunge for it - you don't move until he looks back at you "please move so i can eat that!! " :pac: and then praise and let him take it. If you take a handful of treats/dry food with you on your walks you can practice and he'll get the idea. It sounds a bit too easy but it does work.

Advertisement