Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halti HeadCollar/Harness

Options
  • 30-01-2011 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

Does anyone use the halti equipment, i have a regular harness on my newfoundland which is grand cause i use it as a seatbelt aswell but when im walking him and he gets excited its very difficult to keep him held so im wondering would the halti collar or harness do the job

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Have a foster pup at the moment and I use a gentledog harness on him- made a huge difference as he had never been on a lead before. Was looking after a st bernard the last few days though and set her up with a haltie- felt she was too big for the gentledog harness and it definitely did help. Just be careful with them because some of them can pull up too high into the dog's eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

cheers thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

yeah i use the gentle dog harness as well and find it great,, well worth a look at..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

You want to get a front connection harness called a sensible harness or an easy walk harness....solves everything with no introduction period :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

+1 for the Sensible harness - I think they're available from Dog Training Ireland. It transformed my parents' Sprollie from a runaway freight train to a walkable dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

got one of these for my lad at the weekend. Have no idea how it works as he wont let me put it on. So have to try again this week

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    +1 for the Sensible harness - I think they're available from Dog Training Ireland.

They are - we got a new boys blue one at the weekend - I'm tired of strangers asking if he's a boy or girl :pac: OP if the dog got excited and started jumping/pulling with a halti on he could hurt himself so I'm not sure if the halti would be the answer. When the dog pulls with the sense-ible one on they basically pull themselves back in to you so they go nowhere.

Ah right excellent, he is starting his classes in dog training Ireland next Monday so il pick one up then

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ah you'll have a great time and so will he!! My baba went to have his nails clipped there on sat - he was SO excited and made a bee-line for the door into daycare - he thought he was back to play with his friends!! :D OP I had a sense-ible one, then he got too big and I got him the sense-ation one (a few euro more) cos it's meant to be softer webbing at their tummy - i found the strap stretched a good bit so went back to sense-inble this time around as the first one didn't seem to stretch. ;)

excellent sounds good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭luvdogs

i dont use a harness but instead use headcollars ...
    dont like haltis as they ride over the eyes,

dogmatic....good control and comfortable
    gencon..... better control as it tightens if dog pulls
    k9 bridle.....excellent control and clip is up behind ears rather then under the chin like the two above :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

I use the Halti headcollar and had issues with it riding over the dogs eyes. Was told then it was because the recommended size 5 for the breed of dog was too big so I tried size 4 and there has not been a problem since. I find it to be a great piece of kit. Beforehand I had difficulties walking with him because he is a very powerful dog that always wanted to be out ahead but with the headcollar he always walks at heel or at least close by.

in general i have absolutely no problem walking my fella, he'll walk behind him and plod along its on the odd occasion when passing someone/another dog he sometimes tries to run over to them to play so i just need something to hold him as the basic harness i have on him at the moment doesnt seem to be giving me enough power over him

in general i have absolutely no problem walking my fella, he'll walk behind him and plod along its on the odd occasion when passing someone/another dog he sometimes tries to run over to them to play so i just need something to hold him as the basic harness i have on him at the moment doesnt seem to be giving me enough power over him

Thats exactly why i walk mine in headcollars, i have a giant breed and walk two together mostly... they dont pull and are very good but if a dog runs out at us or something similar....i wont be caught off gaurd.
    for me, it means that i can walk them on a relaxed lead because of the headcollars, if i had them on ordinary leads id be tensed up etc just in case!!
    i always expect the unexpected :D

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

I could do with a bit of advice on this subject too please. My 7month old Retriever is probably in need of some kind of harness or head collar but I don't know enough about either to make a decision.

Mostly I walk him in a wooded area where I leave him off the leash and he has the freedom to run ahead of or behind me. He is very good to come back when called EXCEPT when he sees other walkers and other dogs. When I do get him back on the leash he pulls really hard and I struggle to keep him from running at or jumping on the walkers and their dogs. How or what would people suggest I use to help with this problem?

I should add that when I walk him on the leash when there are no distractions around he is such a good dog to walk beside me and not pull.

Thanks in advance and apologies for stealing the OPs thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭shelly_g

I have my 2 yr old Retriever walking with a Dogmatic and i wouldnt leave the house with him without it ...

he is a big dog and very stubborn , the Dogmatic gives me the control and he has learned to walk with me rather than a mile ahead ...

i got the Halti to see how he was on the idea of a harness and upgraded to a dogmatic as they are better quality

good luck Taceom

luvdogs wrote: »
    Thats exactly why i walk mine in headcollars, i have a giant breed and walk two together mostly... they dont pull and are very good but if a dog runs out at us or something similar....i wont be caught off gaurd.
    for me, it means that i can walk them on a relaxed lead because of the headcollars, if i had them on ordinary leads id be tensed up etc just in case!!
    i always expect the unexpected :D

Iv a newfoundland myself, i never put a collar on him cause it was denting his hair so thats why i was asking about a harness as opposed to the collar

shelly_g wrote: »
    I have my 2 yr old Retriever walking with a Dogmatic and i wouldnt leave the house with him without it ...

he is a big dog and very stubborn , the Dogmatic gives me the control and he has learned to walk with me rather than a mile ahead ...

i got the Halti to see how he was on the idea of a harness and upgraded to a dogmatic as they are better quality

good luck Taceom

is the dogmatic and the halti the same thing but different companies

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭shelly_g

sorry they are different brands ...

the Halti is a cheaper harness and wont last too long ... the Dogmatic is made of real leather and will last a retriever

whats the k9 bridle like, anyone used one

• Advertisement

i have a k9 bridle, the control on it is excellent! i walk two at once so the girl on the k9 bridles lead is on my arm, while i hold the second lead in same hand ..2 dogs walk on same side (hope that makes sense lol)...she leapt at a cat the other day and i stopped her mid air.. no mean feat at 6okgs lol!!
    i only use them in case of things like this happening, it means i can walk them on relaxed leads etc knowing if something happened im in full control!
    the dogmatics also come in webbing and fake leather now as well...i find the fake leather one really strong and light and comfortable for the dog, the leather ones can tend to be a bit heavy you know!! :)

decisions decisions i dont know what one to get for my fella, at 6 months and 7 stone i need to decide before he pops my back out trying to play with everything that walks by

decisions decisions i dont know what one to get for my fella, at 6 months and 7 stone i need to decide before he pops my back out trying to play with everything that walks by
    id go for the middle of the road option...no pun on his pulling you there lmao :pac:...try a "gencon", not too dear and good control thats kind too, it works in a figure of eight fashion tightening if he pulls. google gencon and you`ll find the site. you have to pay by post but the service is excellent.
    get the all-in-one lead rather then a headcollar as it`ll fit him as he grows unlike the headcollar, plus it has a clip on the end which clips to a collar for added security in case he slips it! you wont believe the diff :)

shelly_g wrote: »

good luck Taceom

Do the Dogmatic come in Headcollar and Harness variety? If so which are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Taceom wrote: »
    Do the Dogmatic come in Headcollar and Harness variety? If so which are you using?

No, its only a headcollar.
    Have a look at the link here:
    http://www.dogmatic.org.uk/

THANK YOU!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Hi using a halti on a crazy springer at the mo works great most of the time, but if she wants she can paw it off her head , clip still stays on her collar though, is it impossible for a dog to get the Dogmatic off ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

duckysauce wrote: »
    Hi using a halti on a crazy springer at the mo works great most of the time, but if she wants she can paw it off her head , clip still stays on her collar though, is it impossible for a dog to get the Dogmatic off ?

My springer did the same with every style of over the head type lead I tried. He hated them all with a passion. I now use the halti front connection harness and it has really made a huge difference to our wallks.

I found even with the dogmatic one he worked at it till he got it loose and off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I have emailed dogmatic twice in the last few days but no reply, anyone else find them slow with replies? Will try and call them later on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

TillyGirl wrote: »
    I have emailed dogmatic twice in the last few days but no reply, anyone else find them slow with replies? Will try and call them later on.

What are you emailing them for Tilly?

Advertisement