Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hookless Village

Options
  • 01-02-2011 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Checking out someone to go on holidays this year, has anyone stayed in hookless village and would they recommend it. Have 2 children aged 7 and 4.

ideally looking for somewhere with access to a nice beach, swimming pool and near enough to a good supermarket.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

pm sent as i dont want to end up in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

MrsMac wrote: »
    Checking out someone to go on holidays this year, has anyone stayed in hookless village and would they recommend it. Have 2 children aged 7 and 4.

ideally looking for somewhere with access to a nice beach, swimming pool and near enough to a good supermarket.

Thanks!

A holiday in Baghdad would be more cheerful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 MrsMac

LOL, think we'll give it a miss so!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭who what when

Avoid hookless like the plague.
    Pity because the surrounding area is quiet nice. Im sure you can get a decent self catering place close to the village of fethard on sea for a reasonable price as theres an over supply of holiday homes there.
    Nice place, loads of beaches, pubs and a supermarket.
    Lovely place when the sun shines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 davyboy6

hi im thinking of buying a holiday home in hookless village, there very cheap at the moment gone into liquidation, but have seen some bad feedback on forums and sites can you give me any information on your experience, doent sound good from your post

• Advertisement

Well im from the area and actually know some of the builders who worked on the houses. By all accounts theyre very poorly built. The 'estate' is badly laid out and maintained. Burglaries are too common for peace of mind. Most of the year round residents are foreign nationals.

Yes they are very cheap, around 100k i think, but you get what you pay for. Its a pity because it really is a beautiful area. Im afraid to say much more for fear of having my post deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 davyboy6

thanks a million, any more info would be grateful, area is wonderful but house doesnt sound good !! do no anything about the sound proofing or insulatiuon in the houses ? or im i asking to much ? thanks anyway

No im afraid i dont know any details like that.
    My guess would be that insulation is minimal and sound proofing is non-existant but again thats just a guess. What i can tell you is that no locals would dream of buying one of those houses. That in itself says a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

It may well be a great destination, all opinions are relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mcguinnxx

Hi,
    Read the posts on Hookless and thought I would add my piece. I have owned a house there for approx 5 years but don't rent it out so have no commercial interests. If you are looking for a quiet relaxed holiday in a great part of the country with great views, great small beach, etc then you will enjoy it. There are great facilities for kids - playground, all weather football pitch, etc. The reality is that you will have to travel by car to shops, pubs, etc. and if you are looking for a different type of holiday then perhpas it is not for you. Our kids have always enjoyed going there.
    Not sure where the comment about being poorly maintained came from as the managment board employs a local man who cuts, grass, does general maintenance, etc and without exception all of the house owners are very happy with this. Not sure where the robberies came from either. There are uncompleted, unoccuppied houses in another phase which were broken into a couple of months ago but I don't know of any spate of robberies in the current houses to date (touch wood). With respect to the quality of the houses I do know some of the renters and their houses are extremmly well kept and fitted out to a high level. Not surprised that locals would not buy them as they are holiday homes afer all and their design reflects that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Roweneal

What's the latest on the sale of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Look them up in Daft .ie.Houses in Hookless now sell a lot cheaper than was mentioned before .

• Registered Users Posts: 15 whogivesashlt

I went to buy one of these a couple of years ago but our solicitor told us not to, she had a pretty long list of things that needed sorting.
    We still go down to the area a few times a year and can't help wondering if we shouldn't have just said fcek it and bought one.
    The place is well maintained (although the grass needed cutting the last time I was there, 2 weeks ago). Tennis court and astro football pitch(local football team seem to train on it though which can be annoying with the amount of cars coing in and noise) and a lovely beach (maybe too many flies though compared with Carnivan and Baginbun, but sure there only a 5 minute drive away. Walk in wardrobes, decking, big bedrooms...but when buying a house you have to go with your head first.
    Although I must check out and see if the problems were addressed as the one we wanted to buy was sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Is the investor called Lizzy by any chance?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Is the investor called Lizzy by any chance?
    Lizzy1 wrote: »
    Lol, I wish! I'm afraid not, I heard he owns a big transport company...

Are you sure??

From daft website....

Contact advertiser

To: Lisanne Berry
    Subject: Holiday home in ,....... Cottages, Hookless Village, Fethar...

Contact Lisanne
    Username Lizzy1

Hmmmmmmm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Lizzy1

Yes as I said before I have ONE holiday home, unfortunately I am not a millionaire....otherwise I'd have one in Barbedos and I wouldn't be renting it out!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

vicwatson wrote: »
    Are you sure??

From daft website....

Contact advertiser

To: Lisanne Berry
    Subject: Holiday home in ,....... Cottages, Hookless Village, Fethar...

Contact Lisanne
    Username Lizzy1

Hmmmmmmm

Owner owns a transport company as described above - and many many many other businese's too.

Was described in local paper recently as asset rich but has no money

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Lizzy1

I just wanted to redress the negative comments on this thread, Hookless is now a fantastic holiday home village, especially if you have kids. So far none of the houses have fallen down (ie. not poorly built!) and since there is a contractor employed to maintain the landscaping it looks great. The committee have done a lot of work on improving the on site facilities, and since the installation of electric gates there are no nosey people driving through for a look around and I haven't seen any locals using the astro pitch? Only people that stay there have access to it now so it's nice and private. A lot of the houses are to let on daft.ie and the ads and pictures will give you a good indication of what the place is like now. However I don't think there are any houses for sale any more as the rest of the new houses have been sold on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

We spent a week in Hookless in July, and in July the year previously. Its a fantastic place with great facilities and right beside a fantastic beach.
    There is an astro turf pitch, tennis court, kids play area and an open BBQ area.
    The place is kept amazing clean and the grassed areas are always cut.

It was really nice this year to see an electronic security gate which added to the safety factor. Also really nice to see the remaining houses being finished off.

We'll be back next year and we're hoping that the bigger houses will be finished so that we can rent one of those!!!

Lizzy1 wrote: »
    Yes as I said before I have ONE holiday home, unfortunately I am not a millionaire....otherwise I'd have one in Barbedos and I wouldn't be renting it out!
    :)

And is this your holiday home that you are trying to rent out??

I'd say that's against the charter if so

Did you delete some of your posts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Folks, sorry for dragging up an old thread here but I was wondering if the holiday homes on the left hand side of the village, when you go through the security gate, have been finished? There were 2 or 3 very large detached houses that looked almost completed last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Johnny Casey

Try Sandeel Bay Cottages. These are in the original development of 36 houses built in 1996. They are all detached and have their own private, secure entrance. The recent development is made up of mainly terraced houses. The houses renting in Sandeel Bay Cottages are approved by Failte Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

I'm staying in hookless at the moment and so far I can't fault it
    Very friendly estate manager, gave us his mobile number if we need anything, we have a sea view and it's brilliant value for money, houses are timber frame and noise does travel, I have that issue at home so it doesn't bother me
    62 completed houses now lovely playgrounds for kids

I'm staying in hookless at the moment and so far I can't fault it
    Very friendly estate manager, gave us his mobile number if we need anything, we have a sea view and it's brilliant value for money, houses are timber frame and noise does travel, I have that issue at home so it doesn't bother me
    62 completed houses now lovely playgrounds for kids

And ya have the weather too !!! :D Sunny South East IS Wexford !

vicwatson wrote: »
    And ya have the weather too !!! :D Sunny South East IS Wexford ![/quote
    Weather is great alright, can't fault hookless holiday village, estate manager said they have given he place a makeover, no idea what it was like before but I will definatly be back
    People complained about a rocky beach, plenty of sand for our small fella to play in and it's very private, only six people there today, considering the weather I thought it would be packed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I remember the days when I used to enjoy a creamy pint in the bar , while all the other doyles were having fun in the pool / leisure centre .

Is that all closed now ?

I remember the days when I used to enjoy a creamy pint in the bar , while all the other doyles were having fun in the pool / leisure centre .

Is that all closed now ?

Estate manager said they are opening the pool soon and bar and also an outdoor bar beside a new playground

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Fatswaldo

I dont live too far away, down there last night, beach to myself - absolutely lovely. A reminder why I came back home to Wexford.

Bar open in a few weeks I'm told. looking good.

Fatswaldo wrote: »
    I dont live too far away, down there last night, beach to myself - absolutely lovely. A reminder why I came back home to Wexford.

Bar open in a few weeks I'm told. looking good.

I'm booking my next stay now, price is the same even in peak season, I expected it to go up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 sharon68

Anyone care to update the current situation with Sandeel bay cottage ? a few are up for sale at the moment and looking very attractive 😎

Advertisement