Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bodybuilding/training

Options
  • 31-01-2011 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hey guys im just wondering here, im 6ft one and am in college (at the moment) i love to train and my goal is to be big as possible for september 2012 . maybe a short bulk and cut. Anyone any thoughts just feel free.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

THE BUL wrote: »
    Hey guys im just wondering here, im 6ft one and am in college (at the moment) i love to train and my goal is to be big as possible for september 2012 . maybe a short bulk and cut. Anyone any thoughts just feel free.

You arent going to get that big in that space of time especially if you're gonna be cutting a few months before that aswell.

Just pick a program.It doesnt really matter which aslong as its not some super high volume split you should be fine.Also get away from thinking bulking and cutting.That just sounds like an excuse to pork out and eat crap food.The thing that helped me recently is to eat for recovery.Treat food as a tool to recover quicker for your next training session so you can preform better{lift more or do more reps than the last time).

If you do that and dont overcomplicate things then you should be grand.Also dont leave out training certain muscle groups just because it is the in thing to do especially if you're into bodybuilding. but by the same token dont devote all your time to the smaller muscle groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 THE BUL

sound remmy .. been training for a number of summers (more time then), but now ive been flat out since xmas, nice amount of early morning time now in college.. only time really available to me so im gonna give it a good shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

THE BUL wrote: »

Extremly vauge.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

If you actually love to train I'd say you could easily be massive by September 2012. Don't expect a "short" bulk or cut to do much though...

Ye I'm focused on a 4 day training week to try make the best of the time I have , I can't go over that too much but I want something decent to get a lean and sleek look . Yup sounds stupid but I just thought I'd put it out there for thoughts / progs advice etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

you have not posted up your current program (what do you deadlift and press?, what you eat in detail and you current height and weight?

Currently do a 4 day prog

chest and biceps

Flat bench - 80kg last set other day spot on 7
    Incline dumb press start at 22 25kg
    inc flys 3 x 8reps
    threw in a dec dumb press other day instead if inc for difference did 22kg 2 sets 8 reps and 25 kgs 1 set 7 reps

biceps :
    Bar curls
    Hammer concentraton
    21's on each grip on ez bar

day 2

Shoulders triceps

press 4x8 20kg dumb
    side raises 3x8
    front 3x8
    shrugs 4x8

french press 4x8
    dumb extension overhead 3x8
    close grip bench
    kickbacks

Back day

Close grip lat pulldown 4x8
    Widegrip 3x8
    dumb Rows 3x8
    Deadlift 4x8
    t- bar if available 3x8

Legs
    Hammer curls 4x8
    leg ext 4x8
    squats 4x8
    hack squat 4x8
    Legs have been neglected due to lack of equip but back to college now so its ok.

Diet
    Brek - porridege water based and whey
    lunch tuna/chicken with salad/pasta
    dinner meat with veg

protein shake = gold standard whey
    take after each workout and at breky

Only three meals in a day?!!

Im not disputing what your saying, but your shoulders and Incline DB Press seem very weak for someone with a bench press of 80kg.

during the summer i was on 25-35 kg shoulder presses , but i hadnt the time to stay at weights during xmas to sept. during christmas i had the opp to use my mates weights and we focused on a few small areas till i got back to college in jan to start properly. (2 -3 days p/w over xmas) with all the equip. now im back i stay at it and am building it up again. first time dec bench since summer so just wanted to get the form back . i eat when im hungry or when i have the chance. i know it sounds a bit washy but its the truth cos al im after is decent advice from good guys and ability to note progress

First bit of advice for yourself so would be get a good diet down. I personal feel its the most important part of my training. Considering im awake 16hrs aday, and only in the gym an hour 4 days a week, the rest of the time has to be spent getting good quality food in. I know it can be hard with college etc. when i was in college i brought all my meals i needed that day cooked and ready to eat in lunch boxes.

• Advertisement

thats a great tip tip there mate, dont wana put on too much fat as im a little shabby as is in the stoach how many meals wud be decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

To be honest, its not really the amount of meals that matter, its the amount of calories you get in you. Most people prefer to do this over more than 3 meals.

If you're really looking to put on weight you need to focus on the big movements e.g. pushing and pulling as well as the big body parts e.g., legs, back. The lifts that, in my opinion, are a must for putting on mass are:
    Squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, pull-up, chin-up and bent over row.

Throw in some solid core work (hanging leg raise or side bends) and some hamstring work (e.g. straight leg deadlfits) and you're gold. I think anything above and beyond these is just icing on the cake and should not detract form the above mentioned lifts. You'll never put on weight doing arm work all day. You need to work on the big body parts. All lifts should have reasonably low reps i.e., 5-8 for roughly 3 sets.

This should be coupled with a big diet with lots of protein. Don't worry too much about over eating as the fat will be a lot easier to lose than putting on muscle in the first place. You don't need to go mad though and should try and eat well. Increase muscle will also aid any later fat loss. If at any point you're not putting on weight you need to increase what you eat.

Do this consistently and you can put on a considerable amount of weight by september 2012 and be a lot, lot strong.

Don't forget to work on your flexibility as well and to do plenty of stretches. Finally, you can throw in some conditioning work to work on your heart/lungs but make sure you eat enought to compensate for the calories spent doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Sangre wrote: »
    To be honest, its not really the amount of meals that matter, its the amount of calories you get in you. Most people prefer to do this over more than 3 meals.

If you're really looking to put on weight you need to focus on the big movements e.g. pushing and pulling as well as the big body parts e.g., legs, back. The lifts that, in my opinion, are a must for putting on mass are:
    Squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, pull-up, chin-up and bent over row.

Throw in some solid core work (hanging leg raise or side bends) and some hamstring work (e.g. straight leg deadlfits) and you're gold. I think anything above and beyond these is just icing on the cake and should not detract form the above mentioned lifts. You'll never put on weight doing arm work all day. You need to work on the big body parts. All lifts should have reasonably low reps i.e., 5-8 for roughly 3 sets.

This should be coupled with a big diet with lots of protein. Don't worry too much about over eating as the fat will be a lot easier to lose than putting on muscle in the first place. You don't need to go mad though and should try and eat well. Increase muscle will also aid any later fat loss. If at any point you're not putting on weight you need to increase what you eat.

Do this consistently and you can put on a considerable amount of weight by september 2012 and be a lot, lot strong.

Don't forget to work on your flexibility as well and to do plenty of stretches. Finally, you can throw in some conditioning work to work on your heart/lungs but make sure you eat enought to compensate for the calories spent doing this.

QFT.If you did nothing else but follow this advice to the letter then big and strong you would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Transform wrote: »
    you have not posted up your current program (what do you deadlift and press?, what you eat in detail and you current height and weight?

He doesn't need to deadlift.

Sangre wrote: »

Well thats wrong. Studies have shown and proved that frequent meals are the way forward to keep your metablolism up. Split the caloires up throughout the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

gymsoldier wrote: »
    Well thats wrong. Studies have shown and proved that frequent meals are the way forward to keep your metablolism up. Split the caloires up throughout the day!

This is not accurate...i think you should re-read those studies dude.meal frequency has fook all impact on your metabolism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Remmy wrote: »
    You arent going to get that big in that space of time especially if you're gonna be cutting a few months before that aswell.

Just pick a program.It doesnt really matter which aslong as its not some super high volume split you should be fine.Also get away from thinking bulking and cutting.That just sounds like an excuse to pork out and eat crap food.The thing that helped me recently is to eat for recovery.Treat food as a tool to recover quicker for your next training session so you can preform better{lift more or do more reps than the last time).

If you do that and dont overcomplicate things then you should be grand.Also dont leave out training certain muscle groups just because it is the in thing to do especially if you're into bodybuilding. but by the same token dont devote all your time to the smaller muscle groups.

not that big in over 18 months? if he picks a program, sticks to it and eats well then he will be massive in that time

boomtown84 wrote: »
    This is not accurate...i think you should re-read those studies dude.meal frequency has fook all impact on your metabolism.

Your the perfect example of the type of member not wanted on this forum, dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭COH

Wasn't this disproved on here recently enough? Wheres that Heffernan fella when ya need him....

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

really,why?
    i think it's people like you who are whats wrong with the forum ie.posting inaccurate comments like you did without actually posting the studies that back up your claims.
    People who come onto this forum are looking for accurate information.The comment you posted is not accurate.
    here's a link to an article by lyle mcdonald, one of the most respected names in the world of sports nutrition where he dismantles the myth.
    This is just one article by the way...i'm sure if you search any well respected nutritionist you'll find they have written something similar on the topic.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html

• Advertisement

boomtown84 wrote: »
    really,why?
    i think it's people like you who are whats wrong with the forum ie.posting inaccurate comments like you did without actually posting the studies that back up your claims.
    People who come onto this forum are looking for accurate information.The comment you posted is not accurate.
    here's a link to an article by lyle mcdonald, one of the most respected names in the world of sports nutrition where he dismantles the myth.
    This is just one article by the way...i'm sure if you search any well respected nutritionist you'll find they have written something similar on the topic.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html

That article is 14years old. And if you want me to be impressed by your googling skills, please quote me both peices of evidance from scientific sports journals suggesting the argument for both cases. My claims are backed up by many experts, and you sir are no expert. 90% of posts on this fourm from yourself are not relevant or wrong.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

where do you get off with that load of nonsense. I'm closing this and your other thread till I get home or another mod comes along.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement