Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorway driving hints for fuel efficiency

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

limklad wrote: »
    There are no hills in which the Motorway around Limerick is on.Patrickwell to before the Bog of Doom & mire is flatter than the Tipperary stretches of the Motorway to Dublin which is full of Hills from Limerick Border to Nenagh.

by the way I would not call the stretch around the Ballysimon Junction a Hill, It is just a bump and a dip in comparison to other stretches of Motorways in the country.

Its actually very hard to spot slight inclines on motorways. Sometimes I only notice by my fuel consumption going slightly up. For instance M1 would appear to be inclined upwards most of the way from swords to near the toll bridge going by relative fuel consumptions travelling each way.

Any cartographers able to confirm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

Interesting. I shall have to do further research.

Another question - occasionally I've seen it recommended on here to add small amounts of petrol to the diesel tank to improve efficiency. Does this actually improve efficiency or a urban legend ?

I've heard that putting petrol in the diesel tank starves the pistons and rings of lubricant, resulting in engine seizure.

Keep Petrol for the Petrol engined cars only;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

somebody wrote:
    My cruise is not as efficient as myself for the following reasons:
    It actually appplies brakes on decent to hold requested speed thereby wasting energy.

Seems weird, but if that is the case, turn it off going down hil and turn it back on when you get near the speed you set it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Marcin_diy wrote: »
    mickdw wrote: »
    My cruise is not as efficient as myself for the following reasons:
    It actually appplies brakes on decent to hold requested speed thereby wasting energy.

have you ever heard about engine breaking? your brakes won't move if you don't touch them.....

Wrong.. Mercedes do this.

Advertisement