Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where it all began...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dubsbhoy

we are the robots

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

cool,cheers for the heads up

moving on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I love early electronic music. These artists were real pioneers...

Giorgio Moroder - Chase from Midnight Express (1978)

Donna Summer - I Feel Love (1977)

Hot Butter - Popcorn (1972)

Vangelis - Heaven and Hell Part 4 (1975)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

This song was years ahead of its time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

This tune absolutely years ahead of it's time,.classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

^
    See the price they go for :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

another hugely influential artist and album. Manuel Göttsching and E2-E4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E2-E4

Fellow Ash Ra Tempel member Klaus Schulze has also been hugely influential and collaborated with Pete Namlook on the Dark Side of the Moog series.

Berlin School > Düsseldorf School :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭francois

+1, plus Cabaret Voltaire

Emerson, Lake and Palmer are sh¡t though…

Tossers of the highest order " fanfare for the common man" has to rank as one of the most pretentious pieces of music written

francois wrote: »
    Tossers of the highest order " fanfare for the common man" has to rank as one of the most pretentious pieces of music written

I'd go along with this. ELP were for me all that stank about prog rock and god knows I loved and still enjoy a bit of prog especially the mighty 'Yes'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

if you want to get all pedantic about the genesis of modern music, you may as well lock the thread after DeBussy is mentioned.
    The guy completely redefined western music.

And in possibly one of my favourite historical stories of arrogance, when a 14 year old DeBussy was entered into the Paris conservatory this happened......

He excelled in every area but got abysmal marks on his harmony class.....His teacher said he was either a genius who would completely redefine tonal harmony or just a complete retard (what with his complete disregard for the conventions).
    Debussy, answered back 'I think it's evidently clear that I am the former' and refused to accept the grade.

Wonder how embarassed that teacher was when he first heard this....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

jtsuited wrote: »
    if you want to get all pedantic about the genesis of modern music, you may as well lock the thread after DeBussy is mentioned.
    The guy completely redefined western music.

No he didn't, Barry Manilow did! Those silk shirts…

But to pinpoint it to Debussy and nobody else seems a bit strange. That dismisses everything else as irrelevant and not worthy of study. What about Stockhausen or Stravinsky? What about the Beatles or Elvis?

The same argument could be made with Modern Art and Duchamp and it's true that a lot of the principles and ideas put forward still inform a lot of modern art to this day but to say that he is the beginning and end of the formation of modern art would be to dismiss everything that has added to, questioned, what Duchamp was creating.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭c_o_ck p_i_ss chillage

If we really want to get pedantic about electronic music we wouldn't mention something that doesn't run on electricity! (aka a piano) :-)

Oskar Sala: http://www.furious.com/perfect/ohm/oskarsala.html

this is in German but you get a good look at the Trautonium

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6icEZcKVyHk

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Terry Cotta

I totally disagree with the dissing of ELP.:confused: Keith Emerson was a fantastic pianist and keyboardist and was a pioneer in the use of the moog synthesizer in the early 1970s. Prog rock probably doesn't sit well with minimalist electronic artists like Kraftwerk but it was one of the first genres to use synths extensively.

Other synth pioneers in the early to mid 1970s were Stevie Wonder who brought soul and funk to a whole new level and Pete Townshend of The Who who effectively invented the "string" synth sound. Mike Oldfield also used synths in his work.

Of course we could go way back to the theremin of the 1920s and Stockhausen's work of the 1950s but IMO the 1970s were the decade when electronic music really took off thanks to the invention of the synthesizer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I totally disagree with the dissing of ELP.:confused: Keith Emerson was a fantastic pianist and keyboardist and was a pioneer in the use of the moog synthesizer in the early 1970s.
    He might have been all those things but they were still sh¡t.
    If you want other moog pioneers you could look at:

or even:

Maxwell's Silver Hammer is brutal though…
    Of course we could go way back to the theremin of the 1920s and Stockhausen's work of the 1950s but IMO the 1970s were the decade when electronic music really took off thanks to the invention of the synthesizer.

What I think is as important as the invention of the synthesizer is the sonic experimentation that a lot of modern classical (oxymoron) music was involved in that has informed a lot of what dance and electronic music is about. So while in a discussion like its important to show the early pioneers of the synthesizer I think it does know harm to show the composers and artists maybe working outside the areas of pop and electronic music whose approach to music help influence what we see being created by house and techno producers today.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

You can’t say “Here’s where it all started” as a finite statement unless you define what exactly "it" is. Are you talking about the first people to use synthesizers regardless of the context they were used? Or are you talking about the first people to synths in a form that would easily be classed a forbearer of modern electronic music as we know it? And even at that, it’s still very subjective as to when it actually became relevant, i.e. any good.
    You could argue that Da Vinci invented the Helicopter. But he didn’t though, he made plans, which in practice wouldn’t work. Much like the early experiments with synths may have been pioneering and ground breaking, but still sounded sh1t.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Yeah no way to absolutely pinpoint where it started so to speak, there has been so much that led to its beginning, without the beginning itself even really having a starting point - by that I mean for example Juan Atkins didn't set out as such to create techno or be one of the founders, but the sounds & music that had influenced him became the starting point for what became known as techno, which then evolved into numerous other things over the years.

There are obviously clear connections to other periods of music where the influences are 100% apparent and I agree that the likes of Schulze, Tangerine Dream etc in the 70s have to be a large part of the influence to what we know as modern electronic music. Equally moving into the early 80s with various EBM, industrial and synth-pop acts emerging that took the use of synths, drum machines etc to other levels, again a clear connection from these on into house, acid house, early electro, hip hop etc etc etc!

So the point really is to look at the influences over the years and what is interesting for me is how the sounds have evolved, merged and became basically new genres as they progressed... different artists over the years with varying influences maybe from their childhood that filter into their own work, which moves on to something else with another generation or decade, etc!

I'd love actually to put together a sort of timeline chart that maps out the connecting points from over the years and a clearly defined picture of how to join-the-genre-dots so to speak. Just going off to get my anorak now...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I'd love actually to put together a sort of timeline chart that maps out the connecting points from over the years and a clearly defined picture of how to join-the-genre-dots so to speak. Just going off to get my anorak now...

This guy has been updating this for years, at least 10 I think:
    http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

iamstop wrote: »
    This guy has been updating this for years, at least 10 I think:
    http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

Cheers yeah I had a wander around that site a few years ago, must have another browse again.

Gary Wright - Dream Weaver (1975). Powerful string synths!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

old gregg wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E2-E4
    This is amazing.
    Never heard it before you posted.
    (Although I was familiar with Suano Latino)
    So far ahead of it's time.
    Thanks for posting.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    This is amazing.
    Never heard it before you posted.
    (Although I was familiar with Suano Latino)
    So far ahead of it's time.
    Thanks for posting.

No worries mate, it's why they pay me the big money around here :p

That Maunel Gottsching track is truly astounding and truly groundbreaking. The very first proper techno piece perhaps? And to think that is was recorded nigh on 30 years ago.:cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

No worries mate, it's why they pay me the big money around here :p
    They need to pay you more!
    That Maunel Gottsching track is truly astounding and truly groundbreaking. The very first proper techno piece perhaps? And to think that is was recorded nigh on 30 years ago.:cool:
    +1 a million times over

What can I say about this track that hasn't been said already. I've listened to nothing else this past day and a half and it just gets better and better. And it was released in 1981 for feck sake.:eek:
    Boards.ie has introduced me to a number of interesting tunes these past few years but this is out there on it's own.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    They need to pay you more!

+1 a million times over

What can I say about this track that hasn't been said already. I've listened to nothing else this past day and a half and it just gets better and better. And it was released in 1981 for feck sake.:eek:
    Boards.ie has introduced me to a number of interesting tunes these past few years but this is out there on it's own.

Yeah its a stunning track, was actually released in 1984 and prior to that Cybotron had been lashing out a few techno/electro numbers... granted not as polished a sound as Manuel Göttsching (I shouldn't even really compare them, the only link really is they are both electronic musicians and Manuel was very much the whole Krautrock electronic sound) but definitely the early stages of techno as far back as 1981 with 'Alleys of Your Mind'

And Cosmic Cars in 1982...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Advertisement