Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spuds, -Camera - ACTION - Irish Movies , Locations and Skeet.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

johnny_nobody_quad.jpg

Nothing doing here for a while now since this thread slipped off the front page of the forum but I thought some of you might be interested in this Irish movie memorabilia site which I came across recently. Posters, stills, lobby cards etc. - a lot of interesting material. http://www.irishfilmposter.com/

More movies to come shortly but there aren't enough hours in the day. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sea_Hijack

Parts of this were filmed in Galway. I remember the ships were in Galway Docks for ages and part of the film crew lived in rented property next door to my familys house. We even got autographed Roger Moore pics but have lost them over the years....pity, they might have been worth €1.50 now :D

From Imdb:

The Norwegian dockyard port scenes were actually filmed not in Norway but in Ireland in the harbor town of Galway. The Galway Docks were made-up to look Norwegian. The 35,000 people who lived in the Galway district were amused to see their little Irish Village turned into a Norwegian Port. Filming in and off Galway and in the Galway Bay area and environs took five weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Several scenes from "The Italian Job" were filmed in Ireland. All jail scenes were filmed in Kilmainham and the graveyard scene was in Cruagh I think.(In true Irish fashion , the black horses hired from an Irish dealer turned grey as the paint washed off them in the rain)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Where was the fight scene towarss the end of The Commitments filmed?
    Also wasn't there a scene in some James Coburn western filmed in a pub in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

fontanalis wrote: »
    Also wasn't there a scene in some James Coburn western filmed in a pub in Dublin?

This one

• Advertisement

Thans, I never seen the film but I thought it was a strange location for a Western.

Thans, I never seen the film but I thought it was a strange location for a Western.

You should get yourself a copy - one of the best movies of its type. Not a Western really, more of a Mexican revolutionary one and that's where the Irish connection comes in. One of the main characters, played by James Coburn, has an IRA past and Toners and Howth Castle appear as flashbacks. Although I have watched the film many times I didn't know those particular scenes were filmed in Ireland until tonight. :D

I've seen it on some channel recently. I'll keep an eye out for it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Educating Rita & Trinity

Michael Caine & Julie Waters in 1983 - it probably isn't history to some of us -cept owenc where its pre-history

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085478/

A tad too girlie for me.

Noel Cowards scenes in the Italian Job are in Dublin. It was his last film.

http://www.theitalianjob.com/the_film_locations_uk.htm

I rememebr a radio show and they mentioned what I think was a Cold War era film starring Richard Burton filmed in Smithfield, where I think the area represented Berlin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

I rememebr a radio show and they mentioned what I think was a Cold War era film starring Richard Burton filmed in Smithfield, where I think the area represented Berlin.

Whilst looking for a film with Cyril Cusack and Rod Taylor ? I came across that it was the

The Spy Who Came in From The Cold

Still can't find the movie I was looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Parts of one of the Pink Panther films were shot in Ireland, I remember Stephen Brennan from Glenroe in one of the scenes on a CIE train.

Sunday night I sat down to watch another rare bird made in Ireland - "Fools of Fortune" (1990) based on the novel by William Trevor but twas not to be. Large bag of crisps, tin of mince pies, drink, 'the comfy chair', lights off and the VHS tape (€1 in a local charity shop) transferred a load of dirt onto the video player heads and the movie was over before it started! Not available on DVD but the odd VHS copy is available online - one is on its way as I type. :D

So I stuck into a more recent production - "The 3.10 to Claremorris" (2010). A low budget (no budget according to its director, Tom Walsh of Laighne Films) the 3.10 to Claremorris was shot around Mayo and Sligo in 2009. The unlikely storyline concerns the restoration of the railway linking Claremorris to Collooney and is a parody on the classic western "The 3.10 to Yuma" (1957). In this movie the Honda 50 replaces the horse but otherwise it follows faithfully the Hollywood model with bank robberies, saloon fights and a high noon type showdown. The actors visibly grow into their roles as the two and a half hour (!) epic wends its way to an unlikely conclusion. Coolaney, Sligo Station, Collooney, Tubbercurry and the Ox Mountains form the backdrop to the movie. A must for the diehard collector of Irish movies but hard going for your average punter.

Honda 50s replace horses for a 'Western' with a difference

By JIM GRAY
    Wednesday September 02 2009

Picture it if you can, the Magnificent Seven, those fabled heroes of the Old West, not on horseback -but on Honda 50s!

It's just one of the slightly surreal but highly intriguing features of a 'no-budget' film currently being shot in South Sligo.

Although titled '3.10 to Claremorris' in homage to the classic 1957 Western '3.10 to Yuma', the story line owes more to John Sturges' iconic "The Magnificent Seven', in which Yul Brynner leads a gang of hired gunmen protecting a Mexican village.

In the Laighne Films production, written and directed by Banada native and self-confessed Western junkie, Tom Walsh, the 'magnificent seven' are engaged by a local committee fighting to save their rail line. It's loosely based upon, though in no way connected to, the real-life campaign for the re-opening of the Claremorris to Tubbercurry rail link.

"The idea was triggered by the real life campaign," Tom acknowledges. "The present reality is actually an interesting contrast to what was happening in the Old West. Back then, when moves were afoot to move the railway west, there was great resistance from the native Indians. Now, it's exactly the reverse -the natives in the west want the rail links but the powers-that-be are resisting."

Describing his film as "a modern day Western", Tom explains it's a case of "The Magnificent Seven meets Shane meets Blazing Saddles."

"In the film, the local committee is feeling the pinch of the recession and is running out of money so they come up with the idea of getting in a dynamic person who will make things happen. Like Yul Brynner in the Magnificent Seven, he then recruits six other experts and they ride into town on their honda 50's to get the railway up and running," he explains.

With a leading cast drawn from local drama groups, Tubbercurry's Phoenix Players and the Cloonacool group, filming by cameraman, Sean Johnson, assisted by Tom's son, Dara, has been going on over the past number of months at locations in the Ox Mountains, Coolaney, Collooney and around Tubbercurry. Interior scenes in local pubs and halls will be shot over the winter months, and Tom is hoping to have the shoot complete by next February or March, followed by post-production editing with the aim of having the film ready for its world premiere at next year's Old Fair Day in Tubbercurry.

Anxious to include all of the traditional Wild West film set-pieces, Tom will have a gunfight at the 'Ok Hotel', a bank robbery at the 'Nationalised Bank of Cloonacool' (the local community centre was used as the 'bank') carried out by the notorious 'Ox Mountain gang' and even a 'sheep stampede', replacing the cattle stampedes normally depicted in the Westerns.

Local sheep farmer Colm O'Donnell very kindly facilitated the 'stampede' scene which is to be shot in Kilmactigue this week.

'This is a bit of a fulfilment of a fantasy for me," Tom admits. "I've always been a huge fan of the western genre, and I wanted to replicate that feel in this film. Obviously, we wouldn't have the terrain or the horses here for a real western, but we've gone as close as we can.

"There are actually a lot of similarities between life in the old west and our way of life --the importance of the land, the small town, the drinking in the bars, the clannishness, the suspicion of strangers. That's why westerns have always been so popular with Irish audiences."

Rather than being a lowbudget movie, '3.10 to Claremorris' is, Tom insists, a "no-budget' project.

"We're using a camera that cost about €3,500, funded mostly from proceeds from our last film, and nobody is being paid. By and large, it's a completely voluntary effort. Everybody involved has their own day job in the real world, so it's a case of fitting in filming whenever and wherever we can and whenever the weather allows," he says.

A huge fan of the acclaimed 1960's TV series, "The Virginian", currently enjoying a new lease of life on TG4, Tom had the great pleasure of meeting James Drury, the man who played the title role, in Claremorris last summer.

With a glint in his eye, he promises he will do all in his power to get the famous actor to visit Tubbercurry next year for the premiere of "3.10 to Claremorris". Who knows, he might even hang around to star in the sequel!

http://www.sligochampion.ie/temp/honda-50s-replace-horses-for-a-western-with-a-difference-1877765.html

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

Whilst looking for a film with Cyril Cusack and Rod Taylor ? I came across that it was the

The Spy Who Came in From The Cold

Still can't find the movie I was looking for

The Cyril Cusack/Rod Taylor film is likely Cry of The Innocent.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080573/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Alan_P wrote: »
    The Cyril Cusack/Rod Taylor film is likely Cry of The Innocent.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080573/

Thank you very much, great movie if you cut all the scens that Mr. Cusack is not in

Advertisement