Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burglar in hallway; a close call!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

If fitting a burglar alarm it is a good idea to check with your insurance company whether it is a make and model that they approve. Otherwise things could get messy if you ever have to make a claim following a burglary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Good advice; thank u!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

out the country -a lot of people seem to have dogs and shotguns

i think they keep the shotgun beside the bed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

happytramp wrote: »
    I have friend's who's house was robbed last week. A long chat with the responding Gardai revealed common practice among many opportunistic thieves is as follows.

-They look for a house that appears empty.
    -They knock on the door and walk away.
    -If they hear the door being opened they keep walking, if not they go back
    -While standing with their back against the door they kick it lightly with the sole
    of their shoe to see if there is a dead bolt lower down.
    -If there's none, they take a piece of curved plastic (a section of a coke bottle) and slide it into the space between the door frame and the lock. The plastic snakes itsway around the door frame and pushes the metal wedge of the lock in, which allows them to open the door.

I don't know how true this is, it's just what they we're told. So it would seem that if the house appears to be occupied, has a dead bolt or a visible alarm then a opportunistic thief might walk on. Although clearly the op's burglar was not quite so subtle. Glad nobody was hurt.

Thanks for this, I now know how to about robbing a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

snubbleste wrote: »
    Thanks for this, I now know how to about robbing a house.

I know how to kill somebody doesn't mean I'm compelled to do so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Another trick they use is to throw a glass or bottle onto the path or ther patio at the back, if it smashes the homeowner will go out to see what the fuss is, if no-one comes out they assume the house is empty and rob you..

Scum!!!

the one to look out for is..the tapping of glass(usually in the early hours)..burgler's will tap your window repeatedly like a clock ticking..idea is to see if you house alarm is on or off..if its on the tapping will set it off..and the will wait for you to get up and turn it off..the will then repeat this process 2/3/4 times hoping after the alarm going off 3 times you wont bother to re-set it. you rarely hear the tapping. but if they are doing this the already have a way in..so be warned. i learned the hard way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Nozebleed wrote: »
    the one to look out for is..the tapping of glass(usually in the early hours)..burgler's will tap your window repeatedly like a clock ticking..idea is to see if you house alarm is on or off..if its on the tapping will set it off..and the will wait for you to get up and turn it off..the will then repeat this process 2/3/4 times hoping after the alarm going off 3 times you wont bother to re-set it. you rarely hear the tapping. but if they are doing this the already have a way in..so be warned. i learned the hard way.

really:P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭tfrancer

mloc123 wrote: »
    My car is insured, I leave the key beside the front door. Being woken up with a hammer held over your head or claiming off my insurance... I know which I would prefer.

I am inclined to agree with you......the Garda Prevention advice below, however, appears to favour not leaving the keys accessible........I think their rationale for this is that if one burglar finds an easy target, he tells his mates who will return to the same house in the future.

"At bed-time, take keys with you if you have no
    other secure location but remember, if challenged, that your personal safety, and that of your family, is more important than protecting
    your car."

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/CP%20Info%20Sheet%20-%20VS1-129%20-%20Motor%20Cars%20&%20Jeeps-2009-04-29.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Hmmm, I must have got into A.H. some how, I thought this was the cycling forum.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Seems to be dreadful state of affairs these break ins and the rest.When I lived in Ireland I felt the authorities were too easy going. Over here if my son was caught doing vandalism I would pay have to get it sorted out. Dose that happen in Ireland?

All I hear are incidents.

Why do these people do this?

How can they be put out business?

If drugs were freely available in the chemist would that help?

If a house breaker knew he was going to get 10 years behind bars would that help?

Are there any proven deterents? besides cutting off hands?

It makes my blood boil to think someone wants to steal your posessions.

I always felt in Ireland they're was some really lovely people, the nicest people you would ever meet and then there was some really dreadful people that did my head in.

Finally although I was born in Ireland from the age of 16 I didn't feel happy till I was gone for good.

Rant over thanks for reading.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

We've gone way off track for a cycling forum, back to discussing cycling please.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Advertisement