Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound Card Recommendations Please

Options
  • 27-01-2011 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

After much procrastination I've finally gotten around to putting together a new desktop PC build as prompted by this thread. So, whatever about the other components (I've a build thread here if anyone's interested), I need soundcard/general audio advice. In one of my older PCs I've got a Sound Blaster Audigy with an external box (pic here). I used to run my guitar through my Pod XT Live and then into the Audigy's external box using standard guitar cables. That setup worked pretty well for me as it meant I didn't have to move any of the hardware around the room to connect it up.

I'm just not sure if that's the best way to go any more. It's possible to connect the Pod XT to the computer via USB so maybe I don't need a sound card with an external box any more, just a standard USB cable?
    Basically I need advice on what would be a decent low-latency setup given the existing hardware that I've got.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I could probably add this to my previous post but I might as well bump this thread. Basically I used to be able to go instrument -> effects box -> amp -> computer. Currently I can only go instrument -> effects box -> computer. Is there a more modern version of the Audigy around these days? I got mine in 2003 and I'm assuming that if there isn't, there must be a better way to do what I'm trying to do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

not too sure if the PodXT Live also works as a sound card over USB.

But recording through your amp depends on what you want to do. Planning on using a mic, or line out?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

not too sure if the PodXT Live also works as a sound card over USB.
    It might but I'd rather stick to a setup that I know I've gotten results with before.
    But recording through your amp depends on what you want to do. Planning on using a mic, or line out?
    I've never used a mic, line out was what I used before.

Advertisement