Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build Newbie Needs Advice

Options
  • 27-01-2011 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to put together a new desktop PC. I've been using a laptop for the two years and while its portability is appreciated, I'm looking to get something with a bit more horsepower. I'm not much of a gamer so I'm not too fussed about getting a top-notch graphics card or a fancy case with lights on the side. I'm a computer programmer by trade and I listen to and write a lot of music so a decent soundcard and plenty of hard disk space and fast seek times are requirements (and are the main reasons I'm having issues with the laptop). I have a couple of older desktop PCs but replacing the necessary components in those would probably be close to the price of a new PC anyway.

From speaking to a few people at work and browing around here, Hardware Versand seems very popular so I've gone to that site for an initial build. I won't need mouse, keyboard or monitor recommendations as I have those already.

My budget is around €1,500. This is what I have come up with so far. Any suggestions for improvements are appreciated.

Some questions:
    Does Hardware Versand actually sell soundcards? I couldn't find any on the site.
    It doesn't look like the motherboard or the processor come with necessary fans and power supply units so has anyone got any recommendations on those?
    Through laziness on my part, my laptop has been running Vista since I bought it. In the last place I worked we ran Win 7 Pro so that's what I've chosen. I'm not sure what version of Windows 7 would be appropriate, any idea on whether home/ultimate/super hyper-fighting turbo edition might be better?

Processor: Intel Core i7-960
    503,21 €

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-E, Intel P55, ATX, DDR3
    117,09 €

RAM: 8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz CL9
    99,18 €

Case: Chieftec CA-01B-B-SL schw/sil 400W
    116,81 €

OS drive: WD Scorpio Blue 750GB WD7500BPVT
    85,84 €

Media drive: WD Caviar GreenPower 3TB SATA II
    203,14 €

Blu Ray/DVD Drive: Plextor PX-B320SA Retail schwarz
    83,86 €

Graphics Card: Palit Geforce GT240, 1024MB DDR2, PCI-Express
    59,99 €

124,02 €

Total: €1,331.12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

I don't think the case with the built-in power supply is a good idea. Looks very narrow too. With a lot of money being spent, I would recommend a high quality PSU like this one - Corsair TX 650W Power Supply - €74 and also a beefier case. I understand the power supply is probably more than you require but HWV don't have the Corsair TX 550W in stock, I believe.

The Coolermaster 690 II Advanced PC case for €95 or Coolermaster CM 690 II Lite for €66, are highly recommended (and out of stock for a reason!) from what I've researched around various forums. Light can be turned off with a switch too, lol.

Are you not tempted to go for the new Sandy Bridge cpu's?
    The i7 960 is 45nm technology, whereas the new Sandy Bridge i7 2600 is 32 nm, and almost half the cost. :eek:

Oh yeah, I got a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus CPU heatsink for about €20 as a stock cooler replacement. Couldn't find it on HWV, i got mine on scan.co.uk.

You could probably future-proof the build a bit by upgrading the graphics card up to a DirectX 11 DDR5 1GB model. Cheapest one on HWV is about €99.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

The above recommendations are sound, the corsair PSU and the CM LITE case are good performers. Get 2-3 120mm fans to stick in the 690 II LITE and it's a great case.

If your main apps make use of hyperthreading, go for an i7-2600k, if not go for an i5-2500k.

Something like this for the motherboard: http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=41964&agid=1601

CPU Cooler: http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=39771&agid=669

At €136 this 460 GTX might be excessive for your graphics needs, but it's DX11 and will offer a lot more future-proofing then a GT 240 should a game come along in the near future that you want to play. This applies even more if you play in a resolution of 1650 or more. And besides, you're already saving a bundle if you change from the older i7 to a 2500k/2600k :)

For soundcards check out the Asus Xonar range, whatever best suits your audio needs.

For the OS drive you might consider a ~60GB SSD, they come in at around €120.

That version of windows 7 will be fine, although it is a system builder version and they are locked to the first motherboard they're registered on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Moon54 wrote: »
    I don't think the case with the built-in power supply is a good idea. Looks very narrow too. With a lot of money being spent, I would recommend a high quality PSU like this one - Corsair TX 650W Power Supply - €74 and also a beefier case. I understand the power supply is probably more than you require but HWV don't have the Corsair TX 550W in stock, I believe.
    That sounds good. I will stick that PSU down.
    Moon54 wrote:
    The Coolermaster 690 II Advanced PC case for €95 or Coolermaster CM 690 II Lite for €66, are highly recommended (and out of stock for a reason!) from what I've researched around various forums. Light can be turned off with a switch too, lol.
    Yeah, it's a pity those cases are both out of stock until Feb 15th. I would hope to have the components ordered before then.
    Moon54 wrote:
    Are you not tempted to go for the new Sandy Bridge cpu's?
    The i7 960 is 45nm technology, whereas the new Sandy Bridge i7 2600 is 32 nm, and almost half the cost. :eek:
    I might be tempted if I knew anything about them :). I'll do some reading on them later today.
    Moon54 wrote:
    Oh yeah, I got a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus CPU heatsink for about €20 as a stock cooler replacement. Couldn't find it on HWV, i got mine on scan.co.uk.
    Thanks for the tip I'll add that to the list too.
    Moon54 wrote:
    You could probably future-proof the build a bit by upgrading the graphics card up to a DirectX 11 DDR5 1GB model. Cheapest one on HWV is about €99.
    Fair enough. As I said I'm not much of a gamer but no doubt as soon as I get the system assembled some game will come out and I'll just have to play it so there's probably no harm in getting something half-decent in there.
    seyeM wrote: »
    Get 2-3 120mm fans to stick in the 690 II LITE and it's a great case.
    Do you have any links to particular fans I should go for? Also any other cases that might be suitable like this one or this one?
    seyeM wrote:
    If your main apps make use of hyperthreading, go for an i7-2600k, if not go for an i5-2500k.
    Good point, I'll check out whether the apps I use most often support hyperthreading or not.
    seyeM wrote:
    Thanks for that, I'll check those out.
    seyeM wrote:
    At €136 this 460 GTX might be excessive for your graphics needs, but it's DX11 and will offer a lot more future-proofing then a GT 240 should a game come along in the near future that you want to play. This applies even more if you play in a resolution of 1650 or more. And besides, you're already saving a bundle if you change from the older i7 to a 2500k/2600k :)
    Grand, I didn't really think too much about the graphics card choice that I had made, as I wrote above, it's probably better to have a certain amount of future-proofing in there.
    seyeM wrote:
    For soundcards check out the Asus Xonar range, whatever best suits your audio needs.
    Will do, thanks for the tip.
    seyeM wrote:
    For the OS drive you might consider a ~60GB SSD, they come in at around €120.
    I hadn't thought about an SSD. Are they pretty common these days and do they make that much of a difference compared to the "normal" type of drive?
    seyeM wrote:
    That version of windows 7 will be fine, although it is a system builder version and they are locked to the first motherboard they're registered on.
    Good point, I hadn't noticed that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Can you define 'Not much of a gamer' because if that really means not at all you could go with a sandybridge CPU and H67 board and use the onboardCPU graphics and dispense with the discreet GPU. :)

Malice wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a pity those cases are both out of stock until Feb 15th. I would hope to have the components ordered before then.

Yeah, I was frustrated with that. I ended up ordering my CM 690 II and most of my build components from scan.co.uk.
    Also any other cases that might be suitable like this one or this one?

The Coolermaster HAF 912 looks to be the better option, imo.

If budget allows, an SSD is the way to go.
    I paid €123 for an OCZ Vertex 2E 60GB SSD from memoryc.com, I see it's €109 on HWV. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »
    Can you define 'Not much of a gamer' because if that really means not at all you could go with a sandybridge CPU and H67 board and use the onboardCPU graphics and dispense with the discreet GPU. :)
    Sure, I do play games but I'm not looking to be able to play the latest and greatest games at the highest resolution with all the graphical eye-candy turned on. Most of the gaming that I do is done on my PS3 anyway. The last PC games I bought were bundles of Icewind Dale I and II and Baldur's Gate I and II.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Well if those two games are fairly typical of the kind of games you play you really don't need a powerful graphics card at all. I would just go with something like this.

Swap in a GT 460 or something if you see yourself will be playing some more graphically intensive 3D games in the future.

No reccomendations on the high quality soundcard front, not an area I know too much about TBH.

145415.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I was going to suggest the 2600k instead, but the price difference is very big. The 2500 vs 2500k is much more reasonable. Unless the applications benefit greatly from HT, the 2500k is a better deal with some overclocking.

That 3TB isn't good price/GB. 2TB drives are only €80ish, so 2x2TB would be still cheaper. Also, you don't want the 1TB F1. You want the F3.

Monotype wrote: »
    I was going to suggest the 2600k instead, but the price difference is very big. The 2500 vs 2500k is much more reasonable. Unless the applications benefit greatly from HT, the 2500k is a better deal with some overclocking.

That 3TB isn't good price/GB. 2TB drives are only €80ish, so 2x2TB would be still cheaper. Also, you don't want the 1TB F1. You want the F3.

Doh both these points shame me :(, I though I was picking the F3, but the obscene price of the 3Tb just never registered for some reason :o.

I think that Asus LE motherboard is the worst in their P67 line, it'd be worth stumping up an extra 20 or 30 euro for a more capable one.

• Advertisement

I think that Asus LE motherboard is the worst in their P67 line, it'd be worth stumping up an extra 20 or 30 euro for a more capable one.

Being the entry level board it has the least amount of additional features which in all fairness is not quite the same thing as being 'the worst'. The Pro version has better overclocking features alright, but not much else differs between them. I did it up under the assumption that the OP was not going to be overclocking which is why I chose that board and and a non 'K' model chip (I should have asked first I suppose :)).

marco_polo wrote: »
    Being the entry level board it has the least amount of additional features which in all fairness is not quite the same thing as being 'the worst'. The Pro version has better overclocking features alright, but not much else differs between them. I did it up under the assumption that the OP was not going to be overclocking which is why I chose that board and and a non 'K' model chip (I should have asked first I suppose :)).

I meant more along the lines of getting a P8P67 over the P8P67 LE, €9 in the difference, and there is a bit of a gap in features between the LE and the rest of the P67 lineup.

feature15.jpg

Yeah, I was facing the same situation.
    I would have loved to buy the P8P67 Deluxe + i7 2600k but I think sanity prevailed and I opted for the standard Asus P8P67 + i5 2500k.
    Best bang for the buck. :)

I meant more along the lines of getting a P8P67 over the P8P67 LE, €9 in the difference, and there is a bit of a gap in features between the LE and the rest of the P67 lineup.

Fair enough, I conceed that the meagre €9 saving is not worth it . :P

Thanks for the updates again folks. I was away for the weekend so I'm just catching up today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,358 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

hold off for at least a month as Intel has hit problems with their new chip
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056165088

i had to cancel my order this morning because of it

Skerries wrote: »
    hold off for at least a month as Intel has hit problems with their new chip
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056165088

i had to cancel my order this morning because of it
    Heh, it'll probably take me that long to sort out exactly what I'm buying ;).

Some more questions based on the posts I've read through today:
    • Does the amount of RAM on the graphics card matter that much? I've replaced the 1Gb GT240 card I had chosen with a 768Mb GTX460 and it's a lot more expensive - €130 versus €60.
    • Is there a very noticable difference between a spindle speed of 7200RPM and 5400RPM?

I haven't gotten around to organising ordering the parts for this yet. Other bills keep getting in the way.

Does anyone know if the Japanese Tsunami has affected the prices of electronics and also does anyone know if the problems with Intel's Sandy Bridge chip have been resolved?

Not sure about Japan, I've heard that production lines in certain electronics have been slowed. I haven't seen any short term effects.

Sandy bridge is fixed.

Monotype wrote: »
    Not sure about Japan, I've heard that production lines in certain electronics have been slowed. I haven't seen any short term effects.

Sandy bridge is fixed.
    Thanks for that. I hadn't noticed any price increases myself.

Just wondering if anyone has answers for the questions below:
    • Does the amount of RAM on the graphics card matter that much? I've replaced the 1Gb GT240 card I had chosen with a 768Mb GTX460 and it's a lot more expensive - €130 versus €60.
    • Is there a very noticable difference between a spindle speed of 7200RPM and 5400RPM?

• Advertisement

It depends on the card. The GTX 460 768MB is a lot better than the 1GB GT240. It doesn't matter if that GT240 has 10GB, it's still going to be slow.

In a few cases, you will see improvement, especially working with higher resolutions. One example where it will make a significant difference is the 1GB vs 768MB versions of the GTX 460 where there's more going on than just a difference in memory.

5400 is faster than a 7200 from a few years ago. I would go for the 7200 for OS unless you get an SSD. 5400 is fine for storage/low powered server.

Advertisement