Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyres & Tubes

Options
  • 27-01-2011 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm considering a tyre upgrade for my roadbike. I've had a few punctures lately and I noticed the standard specialized tyres seem to be delaminating slightly. Wiggle have Continental Gatorskins at a decent price. Are these any good or can anyone recommend a good puncture resistant tyre. I mainly do 40 to 70km training spins and I'm on the heavy side.
    Also, can anyone recommend a good tube that can be bought in 5's or 10's?

Thanks,

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Celtic Mech

Not too sure about the Tube recommendation, maybe someone else can give you a help on that one but i can recommend the Armadillo Tyres. I have used them and they are very puncture resistant. I would also be a heavier build and still have not been unfortunate to get a puncture. Generally do between 80 -120km per week during the good weather!
    They are readily available - was in the new bike hub shop in howth and can confirm they are there because recently purchased 2 new ones for it.
    Hopefully this may be of help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Loads of threads on this.

Depends on budget. Expensive tyres have better grip and generally offer good puncture protection if used properly, but don't last as long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

There's a lot about tyres in the winter thread - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056030803

General concensus seems to be that gatorskins are very poor in wet! I've been using the folding version Schwalbe Duranos and have found them very good. Great compromise of weight, grip, durability, puncture resistance and value. No punctures at all in over a year - about 7000-8000 km. Touch wood!

For winter I've been using 25c at front and 28c at rear, both at 80psi, in summer I'll probably use 23c and 25c at about 100psi.

Bike24 are probably the best value, even with shipping!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Just thought I'd ask this here, rather than starting a new thread.

I've had a Giant FCR for about a year now, and have spent most of that time with it punctured. Every time I get it repaired or get new tubes it happens again within a day or two. I'm not heavy at all, so I assume its the tyres. If you don't know the model it has road tyres/weight, but flat handlebars.

Are there better/thicker tyres I could get to avoid this, and if so what would be recommended. I cycle every day when I have a bike available, so it would help if they could put up with a decent amount of punishment.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

vittoria randoners(wrong spelling?)these tyres in 28 form lasted me 6 months of skidding and mega millage as a courier,cant recomend them enough.Even when the black has worn tru the red rubber inner layer was still puncture resistant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Just thought I'd ask this here, rather than starting a new thread.

I've had a Giant FCR for about a year now, and have spent most of that time with it punctured. Every time I get it repaired or get new tubes it happens again within a day or two. I'm not heavy at all, so I assume its the tyres. If you don't know the model it has road tyres/weight, but flat handlebars.

Are there better/thicker tyres I could get to avoid this, and if so what would be recommended. I cycle every day when I have a bike available, so it would help if they could put up with a decent amount of punishment.

Cheers

Dear, oh dear. This is really sad, because it's so unnecessary. The most likely cause of your punctures is underinflation and the thinner your tyres the more likely this is. For example, a 23c tyre needs to be at 110psi to support the same weight as a 32c at 60psi. If you inflate a road tyre with a normal hand pump you almost certainly will stop long before you get anywhere near 110psi. Punctures caused by underinflation will usually have two holes, one on each side, where tube is pinched between road and rim.

Now there are other reasons so you need to check for patterns e.g. is it the same wheel, same place on wheel, same place on tyre, cut on inside of tube, outside, etc. to identify exact cause.

Advertisement