Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter - the thread

Options
  • 13-09-2010 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

See how this goes - tis the season for queries.

Not least mine.
    Tights - needed. Willing to spend, but won't if I don't have to. Assos vs. Rapha; is that the only decision?
    Slane Cycles have a number of tights discounted here from previous years. Assos 2011 have been launched. Worth going for this years? Rapha have also just launched their new winter line. Lovely looking stuff.
    A quick google suggests this debate runs deep! Rapha jacket in particular looks lovely - and is a much lower price than Assos from a quick glance.

Tyres - continental ultra gator skins unless I'm told otherwise. 28mm ideally, but I'm probably restricted to running 25mm with my mudguards.

As questions are asked and answered I (and my fellow mods) may try and edit this original post to provide links to recommendations at particular price points for different categories

Clothing
    Tights
    Jackets
    Gloves
    Base layer
    overshoes

Lights
    Tyres

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Good idea for a thread.

I've Assos tights, which are fabulously comfortable. However, if I was buying again, I'd only get one pair and focus on shorts + leg warmers. I guess it depends on how much you feel the cold, but leg warmers work for me on all but the coldest days. One good pair of tights though might be worth an investment.

I just got 25mm Gatorskins myself for the winter too. Decided that I wanted to get a decent amount of mileage in over the next few months and there was no need for fast tyres at this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

On tights, I got a pair of these last year and found them pretty good. Much cheaper than Assos but I can't compare quality cos I don't have any Assos, but I'd give these a good thumbs up on their own merits. Good enough weight for anything last winter threw at me (though I didn't cycle when snow was lying).
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_Merston_Padded_Bib_Tights/5360045075/

Most useful, imo, is the zip at the heel that makes getting out of them on a wet morning much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I was thinking of a decent pair of fleece lined bibs plus a few pairs of dhb padded undershorts so I can avoid the horrendous cost of buying enough winter bibs without having to do a wash after each ride (I tend to let clothing pile up for a few days and do a big wash).

Failing that, I like the look of the PBK tights, I was considering a pair of the cheaper ones and then the more expensive ones, total cost comes to the same as a pair of campag tights. I might just buy the cheaper ones first to make sure sizing is correct and there are no major quality issues.

I really want these though, I have a pair of 3/4s and they are super comfy, nice fit too:

C1486.jpg

The lack of foot straps on a lot of bib tights is a real deal breaker for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

noob question on thermal layer. I saw Aldi had these on offer this thur.

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_14431.htm

are they necessary for cycling here? lets assume if the roads are iced up I wont be out

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

On tights, I got a pair of these last year and found them pretty good. Much cheaper than Assos but I can't compare quality cos I don't have any Assos, but I'd give these a good thumbs up on their own merits. Good enough weight for anything last winter threw at me (though I didn't cycle when snow was lying).
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_Merston_Padded_Bib_Tights/5360045075/

Most useful, imo, is the zip at the heel that makes getting out of them on a wet morning much easier.

Just got a pair of these in the post today from Wiggle. Reviews seemed good, cash was fairly tight so reckoned I'd give them a go.

As for tyres, as this will be my first winter on the road am not to sure what's the norm. What advantages are there to changing to wider tyres?

• Advertisement

snollup wrote: »
    Just got a pair of these in the post today from Wiggle. Reviews seemed good, cash was fairly tight so reckoned I'd give them a go.

As for tyres, as this will be my first winter on the road am not to sure what's the norm. What advantages are there to changing to wider tyres?

More grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

snollup wrote: »

I changed tyres for three reasons in my racing days. Increased Puncture resistance, increased rolling resistance, & increased weight. The first alone is worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    More grip.

DOH!!! I didn't really think that question through.

Is that the only reason to change them?

See above. I guess no one wants to be standing around in the freezing cold changing a puncture. I'm going to stick with 23s, I have 25 gatorskins on my commuter and in wet weather I have never noticed much of a difference, gatorskins are puncture resistant but they are still quite slippy in the wet.

If you only have a race tyre it might be worth getting a set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Tights. Assos Airblock. But great value and good quality in the DHB (wiggle) range.
    Rapha 3/4 length good.

Jacket. For cold weather. Assos 851 airjack. Accept no substitutes.

Overshoes. Pro H20. But on freezing cold do Rapha neoprene overshoe.

Merino baselayers.
    Merino socks.

Wet days - sealskinz

Merino beanie.

Buff

Gloves. Prendas. Campagnola TGS Winter glove.

Tyres. Conti GP 4000s.
    Rear light. Blackburn.
    Front light. Cateye and Fenix.

Mudguards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

but they are still quite slippy in the wet.

This is worrying me at the moment. Had a gator on the front when I crashed the other week. I don't remember them being as slippy as this, but it is a few years since I rode on them last.

Again recommending this - get a balaclava! Aldi/Lidl usually do the motorbike stuff at times, and it's incredibly handy during the winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

gatorskins are puncture resistant but they are still quite slippy in the wet.
    el tonto wrote: »
    This is worrying me at the moment. Had a gator on the front when I crashed the other week. I don't remember them being as slippy as this, but it is a few years since I rode on them last.

my cornering has gone to sh 1 t. I will need to boost my confidence over the winter if I'm racing more next year, so grip is a big factor for me. What out there beats the Conti's for grip?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,891 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I had Gatorskins on over last winter and only crashed the once!

For now I'm leaving the Conti GP 4000s on - I've not had a puncture using them all summer (although I do occasionally find small stones or pieces of glass embedded in them)

If I start getting punctures, I'll put Gatorskins back on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

My last 2 winters have been ended prematurely by crashes (ice). Nontheless, prior to that, I did get a decent amount of quality mileage in and I did learn a couple of things however in the process... I had far,far fewer punctures and noticeably more grip with the GP4000 and GP4000S than I had with the Gatorskins. The GP4000 wore pretty well too, I had expected them to disintegrate but they held up well...

It galls me to say it, being a brand snob...Assos make the best kit, but winter is a crashy time and I found that the Wiggle DHB stuff was perfectly functional and I didn't spend so much on it that I felt I should give them a full christian burial when I inevitably wiped myself and my kit out. The DHB leggings are surprisingly very warm and their baselayers get the job done too, in addition the heavy rain jackets work as well as anything else out there (although I personally found the jackets sized a little large).

uberwolf wrote: »
    my cornering has gone to sh 1 t. I will need to boost my confidence over the winter if I'm racing more next year, so grip is a big factor for me. What out there beats the Conti's for grip?

Well, Continental GP4000s are great and offer a decent level of puncture protection, but wouldn't wear as well as the Gatorskins.

The thing that mystifies me a little is that I never noticed it before. And the likes of Diarmuid was racing on Gatorskins all year.

I can empathise. Any time I crash my cornering goes to pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭English Bob

Conti Gp 4000s seem great so far in wet. Mudguards are a must, cateye lights stay on bike at all times. Buff, flourescent waterproof jacket, dhb full length fleece lined bib tights, fleeced lined arm warmers, extra pair of socks & overshoes!
    I can't wait to get some decent winter training in!!
    Just sorted winter bike today so have planned to get serious this week.
    Is it just me or does anyone else realise just how much they've missed their winter steed!!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Cycling on a cold dry bright winter day is one of the most pleasurable experiences you can get on a bike.
    A good 2-3 hard hours followed by a steaming bowl of soup and bread when you get home.
    Bliss.
    Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

I've just put on some Vittoria Open Pave CG, wicked grip, really smooth ride and dont feel slower either.

Not cheap though :

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y0105

Murph100 wrote: »
    I've just put on some Vittoria Open Pave CG, wicked grip, really smooth ride and dont feel slower either.

Not cheap though :

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y0105

I've been using them all summer. Fantastic tyres. Nicest clinchers I've ever ridden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Have ordered these after a few recommendations. I don't feel the cold too badly and just commute bare-legged through the winter but I wanted something for longer training spins. After some of the arctic explorer stuff I have seen on threads here, I am beginning to worry that my few inches of exposed calf might be a problem. I will have a good merino base layer, a winter training jacket and decent socks and gloves - I should be alright, no?

And you took them off for the winter ?
    I've been using them all summer. Fantastic tyres. Nicest clinchers I've ever ridden.

Murph100 wrote: »
    And you took them off for the winter ?

God yeah. Those things are expensive and they don't last half as long as even GP4000s.

Ah crap ... well if you thought the Paves were fast wearing, try a pair of Veloflex Corsa 22s, beautiful tyre, the best I've ever tried, but you'll wear them out just by looking at them.

Actually the Veloflexes were doing ok until I brought the bike to Nice for a week, dont know if it was the heat ( 30 C ) or the type of road debris there. but they seemed to pick up everything like bloody flypaper, and they defintely wore at a much faster rate. Maybe there is some advantage to our crap climate ;)
    God yeah. Those things are expensive and they don't last half as long as even GP4000s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

The lack of foot straps on a lot of bib tights is a real deal breaker for me!

I've never had footstraps on tights - the tightness or sticky elastic bit on the inside of the cuff does the trick just fine for me. Maybe you've got skinny ankles! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

127495.png

What timing !!! :)

Storm blowing outside here all day long, putting the turbo trainer on the Ark !! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    ......I had far,far fewer punctures and noticeably more grip with the GP4000 and GP4000S than I had with the Gatorskins. The GP4000 wore pretty well too, I had expected them to disintegrate but they held up well...
    +1 on that. Gatorskins are fine in dry but I've crashed twice on wet corners due to poor grip. Never use them again. I can deal with the few extra punctures!

PS Quigs great commentary on the B race yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

25c tyres are a very good idea in winter. I rode Maxxis Columbiere all last winter and they still have plenty of life in them yet. Nice feeling tyre too, more like a GP4000 or Ultremo than a Gatorskin. Cheap from CRC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

If Halfords have what you want get it while you can with their promotion error which is giving 2 for the price of 1. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement