Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

Schwanz wrote:
    How's life for ya bud?

Day 3. Still hanging in there. Let's get through today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Day 3. Still hanging in there. Let's get through today

Good for fcuking you.

Do it all for yourself and those around you will benefit from it so much.

I'm 2 weeks off it & I'm enjoying things I haven't in years.

Too much alcohol just blocks out the good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Spencer Winterbotham

6 years

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

Day one for me,actually looking forward to it 1/7/19

Decided to kick the drink to the curb again, find I am depressed for a week after it

Off it now 6 weeks, its definitely the first 3-4 weeks are the hardest, between week 3 and 4 you def get the itch and think you can only go for a few, never works out that way though

Going to aim to not go back on it so have set a 6 month milestone first which will get me close to xmas, then take it from there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I know there's loads of helpful YouTube videos but this struck a chord. https://youtu.be/qXKPSTjl-Ho just watching the video is an insight

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

2 years and 8 months. Got to 2.5 years the last time.

Went back to old habits in 2015. Wasn't long remembering why I'd quit in the first place.

Best of luck to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Decided to kick the drink to the curb again, find I am depressed for a week after it

Off it now 6 weeks, its definitely the first 3-4 weeks are the hardest, between week 3 and 4 you def get the itch and think you can only go for a few, never works out that way though

Going to aim to not go back on it so have set a 6 month milestone first which will get me close to xmas, then take it from there

I recall some of your previous postings and am glad you are back.
    However, might be helpful to consider you were having "alcohol free" drinks last time, and although you may not quite believe it, that may have kicked off a "phenomenon of craving" some of us deal with ,once we start to drink any alcohol at all.

I suggest a read of this, see if any of it resonates. Although written in the 30's it's incredible how accurate it remains to this day.

http://silkworth.net/gsowatch/litbook.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

10 weeks now for me :)

I never had any dependency on alcohol and could always easily stay away from it, but an unrelated health scare in the past year has changed my attitude somewhat.

I had a few drinks in May on my holidays and will again when my friends come home from abroad next month, but I've given up having a beer at home watching a match or going for pints on a saturday night because that's what you're supposed to do at my age - and I must say I don't miss it at all. It's good to have the extra cash in my wallet too.

I'm just reading back through the thread - well done to all the awesome people here on your efforts and reaching your milestones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

16 odd years or so when I was expecting a bouncing baby boy. Now a grumpy teenager. Hoping he won't drink for a good while yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Clever Username

2 years, 257 days, 16 hours, 42 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

2 years, 257 days, 16 hours, 42 mins

Fair play.

Amazingfun wrote: »
    I recall some of your previous postings and am glad you are back.
    However, might be helpful to consider you were having "alcohol free" drinks last time, and although you may not quite believe it, that may have kicked off a "phenomenon of craving" some of us deal with ,once we start to drink any alcohol at all.

I suggest a read of this, see if any of it resonates. Although written in the 30's it's incredible how accurate it remains to this day.

http://silkworth.net/gsowatch/litbook.pdf

Hi amazing fun

Thanks for the positive message, I have significantly changed my diet and embraced the low carb approach and surprisingly ever my biscuit cravings are gone lol

Well I am at 9 weeks now and not really thinking about it. Life is busy enough as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Hi amazing fun

Thanks for the positive message, I have significantly changed my diet and embraced the low carb approach and surprisingly ever my biscuit cravings are gone lol

Well I am at 9 weeks now and not really thinking about it. Life is busy enough as it is

If you read the Dr.'s Opinion and see where the "allergy theory" is posited, I have long thought that the current research citing insulin resistance (due in large measure to many of us ingesting too many carbs , too often) as playing a starring role in many modern chronic illnesses, is exactly what he was referring to---the " I take the drink, the drink takes me" effect that alcoholics know all too well. So bravo on the low-carb, many people forget alcohol is in fact a foodstuff, fermented sugar with a boatload of calories to boot!

In short, glad to hear yer back on the path, maybe consider too taking heed of those of us who have been badly mangled over the years, for sometimes just knowing this info is simply not enough. We tend to experience periods of forgetting the most incredible beatings from the bottle, only to find ourselves baffled as to why we tried it on yet AGAIN :eek:. After all these years sober I am still in awe at how many continue to die of this illness; there is a reason its described as ' cunning, baffling and powerful'.

Permanent freedom from active alcoholism is on offer to anyone who wants it, yet as with most things in life, we get out of it what we put into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

9 days:( Was on a bender for a couple of weeks before getting very sick , not able to keep food or liquid down for a week. Have to knock it on the head...its slowly killing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭tinpib

Very sorry to hear that TheRepentent, how are you feeling now? Did you go to the doctor?

tinpib wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear that TheRepentent, how are you feeling now? Did you go to the doctor?
    Thanks tinpib..yeah and got some tablets for the nausea. Working nights for the next while so the weekend will be a test to see if I can stay off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drydub

18 months for me today. Delighted.

Was out last night, drove, drank mi wadi and up bright and fresh this morning.
    Not drinking is something important in my life now and always worth protecting.

I drop on here often to read up on how everyone is doing and it's a great sounding board.

I posted before this sober period and I can tell I was worried about my drinking but not strong enough to stop.

ok so got through the weekend...wasn't easy(had to do food shopping and give cash cards to a friend who lives miles away). Spent it having argruments with myself. One day at a time. Not sleeping well and sweating buckets and pretty much every 2nd thought is about getting drink.

Is this your first time giving up 'permanently'? Also I know the good angel/bad angel arguments all too well myself. Well done for getting through the weekend, it really is just one day, or even one hour, at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭eamor

I haven’t been here for a long time. I logged in today and found some of my old posts.
    Like this one ‘

*Into day 8- Cannot quite believe it. I feel excited, scared, full of energy/knackered tired.... Weepy, happy, sad, giddy..... I have been hovering and lurking here for a long time, but your words have resonated with me... Thank you all... x*

Happy to report that I’m still sober and will be 3 years, please god in September. Xx

tinpib wrote: »
    Is this your first time giving up 'permanently'? Also I know the good angel/bad angel arguments all too well myself. Well done for getting through the weekend, it really is just one day, or even one hour, at a time.
    Well its my first attempt that has lasted longer than 3 days.

And yeah its a pain rowing with myself over it...got the SMART book so reading through that now.

From reading this thread I know it can be done and even if I fall off the wagon I can also pick myself up and try again.

eamor wrote: »
    I haven’t been here for a long time. I logged in today and found some of my old posts.
    Like this one ‘

*Into day 8- Cannot quite believe it. I feel excited, scared, full of energy/knackered tired.... Weepy, happy, sad, giddy..... I have been hovering and lurking here for a long time, but your words have resonated with me... Thank you all... x*

Happy to report that I’m still sober and will be 3 years, please god in September. Xx
    Thanks for posting that Eamor.Best of luck

Well its my first attempt that has lasted longer than 3 days.

And yeah its a pain rowing with myself over it...got the SMART book so reading through that now.

From reading this thread I know it can be done and even if I fall off the wagon I can also pick myself up and try again.

Persistence is key, this is my 4th time giving up 'permanently', 3.5 years now and fingers crossed I'll never go back. Have zero desire to, but it was a long road.

Ive posted in here off and on for years so my previous attempts are in here too.

You are changing the habit of a lifetime so often with me it was 2 steps forward one step back, but I was learning how to be sober through experience and time. Best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

Haven’t had a drink since Saturday. Had a hard month of it sandwiched by two weddings. Already my mood has lifted and I’m gonna try for a really long spell. There’s no doubt alcohol is a serious depressant so my date is 25 08 2019. Find this thread really helps

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Diablo Verde

More or less 8 months now. It's the norm now, and I'm happy with that.

21 days now

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

21 days now
    21 days for me also today.
    I became reliant on booze to help me through some difficult times and it took my partner to point out that i was making things worse rather than better by drinking. I didn't want to listen for a couple of months but I eventually decided something had to change.
    Feel much better already. I didn't drink every day but would take to drinking neat spirits to make my mind go quiet.
    I have decided that I wont drink again as my life is better without it.
    Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

squire1 wrote: »
    21 days for me also today.
    I became reliant on booze to help me through some difficult times and it took my partner to point out that i was making things worse rather than better by drinking. I didn't want to listen for a couple of months but I eventually decided something had to change.
    Feel much better already. I didn't drink every day but would take to drinking neat spirits to make my mind go quiet.
    I have decided that I wont drink again as my life is better without it.
    Fingers crossed.

Excellent. Your line 'I have decided that I wont drink again...' sums it up for me. I am fortunate in that I am off the drink for quite a while now and I appreciate that many are struggling trying to give it up as I did also but the bottom line is it comes down to making a decision and sticking to it.
    If the booze is taking over then dump it end of story. Make that decision cause the kid I saw yesterday in a wheelchair doesn't have that option to make a decision that will change his life around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Etc

I'm off it 38 days now and have been doing great, but for various reasons I have the house to myself for the next 4 days and I'm sitting here tonight fighting with myself about opening a bottle of white wine.

I've been keeping myself busy but I'm feeling very anxious. I'm aiming to go to bed soon hoping that I'll sleep and wake up and the craving will be gone.

This is the first bad craving I've had since I stopped.

Advertisement