Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best 10 year old car, pre-poll research

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Good reading in them actually, I was under the assumption the article I read was correct but am having doubts now.

It's actually a fairly good topic on what costs are associated with the Prius.

In fairness though I wouldnt think it's the moest reliable cost effective car over the last ten years.

Although I never owned one or had much contact with them so it could be true as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Seems to me someone concerned with low costs, isn't going to buy something thats expensive to tax, insure, or repair.

For me that rules out Honda's which in my experience are expensive for parts and repairs. Used to be expensive for insurance too. Dunno if thats changed. Ditto MR2, especially the turbo. Unless someone is doing big mileage, they won't bother with a 2L diesel either. It will be a car with a small engine, for low tax and insurance, 1.0 or 1.2. Unfortunately most of these aren't drivers cars.

Just a thought.

BostonB wrote: »
    Seems to me someone concerned with low costs, isn't going to buy something thats expensive to tax, insure, or repair.

For me that rules out Honda's which in my experience are expensive for parts and repairs. Used to be expensive for insurance too. Dunno if thats changed. Ditto MR2, especially the turbo. Unless someone is doing big mileage, they won't bother with a 2L diesel either. It will be a car with a small engine, for low tax and insurance, 1.0 or 1.2. Unfortunately most of these aren't drivers cars.

Just a thought.

The insurance on my Prelude and Celica was €500 ish, insurance on a 1.4 whatever would be €400 or so. Tax is tax. They are cheap to maintain as they don't give trouble, aside from filter, pads and tyres etc you'll be buying very little parts :)

My Celica was 12 when I bought it, Prelude was 16 :)

I could see myself quite happily driving a sub €1000 Prelude or Celica over the coming years and enjoying the low running costs. They age very very well mechanically.

With motoring, the best way to keep the costs down is to eliminate / reduce depreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Folks, I've kinda abandoned this thread and idea. It turned into a another knowledge debate and I can't be arsed reading through reams of tit for tat trying to decipher peoples nominations. If anyone wants to take it over please feel free.

dnme wrote: »
    Folks, I've kinda abandoned this thread and idea. It turned into a another knowledge debate and I can't be arsed reading through reams of tit for tat trying to decipher peoples nominations. If anyone wants to take it over please feel free.

lol, it's only a thread on a forum :p
    Admittedly it was a fairly poor thread to start with :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

RoverJames wrote: »
    lol, it's only a thread on a forum :p
    Admittedly it was a fairly poor thread to start with :pac:

thanks for that :mad:

thanks for that :mad:

Apologies, that was very tongue in cheek with the intention of winding you up :pac:

Perhaps I'm wrong, but dismissing a couple hundred euro, as insignificant, is kinda missing the point. Tax and insurance on a 1.0 combined could be 300+172. Many of those small 1.0 have very little to go wrong, and are not expensive in parts depending on make. Any car once it gets to 70k ish starts to need some work, discs, shocks, timing belts, exhausts. Items which can be very expensive on some makes and models. A bigger car often has bigger and thus more expensive parts. (All sweeping generalizations I except).

I take the point that a bigger car, bigger engine, might do bigger mileage then a smaller engined car when you get into the 100k+ mileages. Again (Sweeping generalizations etc.) therefore looking over 3 or 5 yrs the bigger car might make more sense. In general I reckon the smaller car, smaller engine might make be cheaper in absolute terms. If you are doing smaller mileages/journeys.

Horses for courses, and all that.

We probably need to define criteria so basically, if you are suggesting a car, bear in mind the the following . . .
    Reliability
    Economics (cost of ownership, running costs, parts costs, insurance, fuel)
    Safety
    Popularity
    Looks
    BostonB wrote: »
    Perhaps I'm wrong, but dismissing a couple hundred euro, as insignificant, is kinda missing the point. ...........
    Horses for courses, and all that.

economics was 1 of 5 of the criteria :)

I thought the criteria had moved on from that.
    Exactly, lets keep Jeremy f'n Clarkson outa this one. The poll is really about whts a good everyday car to buy if you're on a serious budget, unemployed etc.

But it doesn't matter. I think we both explained our logic behind our choices, we're pitching at slight scenario's.

In my youth I ran and old Golf GTI and then a CRX for much the reasons you gave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭MinnyMinor

if you want a car that is low to tax insure, cheap replacement parts and reliable get a fiesta

• Registered Users Posts: 73,412 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A Micra is cheaper to tax and insure than a fiesta though, a yaris is too as well as having better safety and no timing belt....

What a great thread :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

If economy and/or motor tax isn't much of a concern...

...the BMW E39 (1996-2003 5 series) is a great car. And while not much can be done about the motor tax the diesels aren't desastrous on the mpg front. The petrols aren't the most economical car admittedly (you need to have her in good nick to get just under 30mpg combined but it gets considerably better if you're on open roads a lot) but they are a great drive and pretty reliable too.

Def'ny a really good car that had cost a fortune at the time and it can be had for small money now. From the 523i onwards there shouldn't be much of a problem with 100k+ miles on it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ballinakillman

...........Nissan Micra (March Jap import)
    I recently sold a 1999 March 1 litre with 100,000 miles and was still solid and responsive, and suprisingly "nippy". It had electric windows, A/C electric mirrors and upgrade interior (over Irish Micra).
    50 euro to fill up.
    I paid 800 euro for it and sold it for 800 after advertising it for one day on Donedeal.
    Just a good small car!

I had a 1998 VW Passat as well. Different Class and user profile but very comfortable on the motorway. Solid and safe as all VW of this age still are if looked after. Good family car with huge boot.
    1.6 petrol but fairly good on juice and if you are not a mileage muncher would be worth consideration.
    I paid 830 euro for it early in 2012 and sold it after 12 months for 900 euro....shows the VW appeal.

For something left field I would recommend a Saab 9-3 Turbo (185BHP) if your heart and wallet can handle it.
    I had a 2002 in black with full leather etc. This was one of the last proper Saabs'. They are pure luxury and comfort and offer exceptional accelaration for "safe over-taking"! I have never driven anything with such strong mid-range punch. You can drive down the Motorway slip road in 3rd gear and hit 100 within a few seconds...can be scarey and you need to watch out you don't drive into the back of traffic already cruising on motorway!
    If you can afford the petrol it's a performance bargain.
    I paid 950 for it in 2012.

As you have probably guessed already I like swaping cars on a regular basis but due to current economic situation if you have 1000 cash in your hand you have your pick of really good 10 year old cars.
    Looking at a Seat Ibiza for my next purchase.
    Any comments Guys?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Edit - just realised how old this thread is!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

...........Nissan Micra (March Jap import)
    I recently sold a 1999 March 1 litre with 100,000 miles and was still solid and responsive, and suprisingly "nippy". It had electric windows, A/C electric mirrors and upgrade interior (over Irish Micra).
    50 euro to fill up.
    I paid 800 euro for it and sold it for 800 after advertising it for one day on Donedeal.
    Just a good small car!

I had a 1998 VW Passat as well. Different Class and user profile but very comfortable on the motorway. Solid and safe as all VW of this age still are if looked after. Good family car with huge boot.
    1.6 petrol but fairly good on juice and if you are not a mileage muncher would be worth consideration.
    I paid 830 euro for it early in 2012 and sold it after 12 months for 900 euro....shows the VW appeal.

For something left field I would recommend a Saab 9-3 Turbo (185BHP) if your heart and wallet can handle it.
    I had a 2002 in black with full leather etc. This was one of the last proper Saabs'. They are pure luxury and comfort and offer exceptional accelaration for "safe over-taking"! I have never driven anything with such strong mid-range punch. You can drive down the Motorway slip road in 3rd gear and hit 100 within a few seconds...can be scarey and you need to watch out you don't drive into the back of traffic already cruising on motorway!
    If you can afford the petrol it's a performance bargain.
    I paid 950 for it in 2012.

As you have probably guessed already I like swaping cars on a regular basis but due to current economic situation if you have 1000 cash in your hand you have your pick of really good 10 year old cars.
    Looking at a Seat Ibiza for my next purchase.
    Any comments Guys?:)

Welcome to boards, please don't drag up old threads. You're more than welcome to start a new one. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement