Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Touring bikes.

Options
  • 26-01-2011 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Evening all,

Am thinking of changing my bike to something with a little more relaxed geometry. Just wondering if anyone has any thought on this Cannondale? It's around €1,500. Any other bike in that price range (might be able to go to 2k) I should consider?
    I don't really need all the racks. Will be used for spins of 4 - 5 hours max. I'm finding the position on the current bike a bit too agressive. I don't race so don't really need a racing bike as such.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I've always liked the Surly Long Haul Trucker. Friend of mine got one and he can't praise it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

I've always liked the Surly Long Haul Trucker. Friend of mine got one and he can't praise it enough.

You don't happen to have any idea of what he paid for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

This is a good review of a good looking bike:

http://road.cc/content/review/24541-kona-sutra

€1200 delivered from Wiggle.

This is a good review of a good looking bike:

http://road.cc/content/review/24541-kona-sutra

€1200 delivered from Wiggle.

Thanks DFD,

I had actually looked at these but their a bit more then I'm after. Something a little lighter is what I'm looking for.

• Advertisement

snollup wrote: »
    Thanks DFD,

I had actually looked at these but their a bit more then I'm after. Something a little lighter is what I'm looking for.

Would a Spesh TriCross work?

DFD

Seriously considering bob jackson now. Going to ring tomorrow & get a price on complete bike if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

You don't happen to have any idea of what he paid for it?

Cant remember exactly, think he said something like £600. He bought it through his LBS in England.

Seriously considering bob jackson now. Going to ring tomorrow & get a price on complete bike if possible.

Very nice. Search online for 'randonneur'. They're bikes for long distances but not carrying as much as a tourer.

DFD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

LHTs are pretty good. I got a Kona Honky Tonk instead on the same principles as you (plus a smaller budget)... but then ended up kitting it out with a back rack rack, mudguards, dynamos, a bigger rear cogs and more tour-y wheels anyway. So, you know, I might as well have bought an LHT.

Go to your local shop and try some out... I'm glad I did because I discovered that many of the bikes I was considering were a lot heavier and more lethargic than what I wanted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

try the thorn 700c wheel tourer
    van nicholas ti bike class,
    spa cycles have there own ti tourer ..
    my own thorn sherpa is a bit on the heavy side but a class bike all day comfort well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If you don't need the racks and wide tyres it would make no sense whatsoever to get a tourer. A tourer is substantially heavier and more sluggish than a road bike. If you only want relaxed geometry consider a relaxed geometry road bike such as a Specialized Roubaix or the many other alternatives, or otherwise, an audax bike.

An audax bike will have relaxed geometry, space for slightly wider tyres (typically up to 28c with mudguards) albeit not as wide as a full tourer, and should be suitable for carrying moderate loads for light touring. A good day bike and that is primarily what it is used for.

Don't get a cyclocross bike unless you want/need the wide tyres (>28c.) The Tricross is very heavy compared to a road bike although some other cross bikes don't have as much of a penalty. Cross bikes also tend to be very relaxed compared to a road bike.

Braking on cross and touring bikes is generally awful compared to road bikes.

Honestly, looking at an "expedition tourer" for unloaded spins of 4-5 hours max? Are you insane?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Lumen just took the words out of my mouth. You're almost suggesting the equivalent of buying a humvee for a Sunday drive.

Mmm, point taken. Something along these lines may be more suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lumen just took the words out of my mouth. You're almost suggesting the equivalent of buying a humvee for a Sunday drive.

Wait, what? I what what? Huh?

Lumen wrote: »
    Wait, what? I what what? Huh?

no as in the OP is suggesting buying a humvee for a Sunday drive, not you. That make more sense :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

no as in the OP is suggesting buying a humvee for a Sunday drive, not you. That make more sense :)

No. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Lumen Blorg just took the words out of my mouth. You're almost suggesting the equivalent of buying a humvee for a Sunday drive.
    FYP

FYP

Oh for 'petes' sake :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Mmm, point taken. Something along these lines may be more suitable?

Yes... but seriously expensive! Are you really going to do that much touring? Wouldn't you just be better with something like this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=35560 that's all set up and ready to go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Blorgs back posting:D
    Nothing like a touring bike thread to get him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

@Scien, I got a Dawes Horizon in Little Sport in Fairview for €999. I'm sure you could get it for less if you shopped around.

It's listed here for £674.99:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/dawes/horizon-2009-touring-bike-ec018623

I'm very happy with it. Braking isn't as good as on my old hybrid would be my only complaint; the Horizon is superior in every other way. I haven't used it for touring, but I do carry heavy loads on it frequently, especially now my trailer is out of action.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    @Scien, I got a Dawes Horizon in Little Sport in Fairview for €999. I'm sure you could get it for less if you shopped around.

It's listed here for £674.99:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/dawes/horizon-2009-touring-bike-ec018623

I'm very happy with it. Braking isn't as good as on my old hybrid would be my only complaint; the Horizon is superior in every other way. I haven't used it for touring, but I do carry heavy loads on it frequently, especially now my trailer is out of action.

I've read in touring sites that the Dawes Sardar is also a nice cheap tourer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Yes... but seriously expensive! Are you really going to do that much touring? Wouldn't you just be better with something like this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=35560 that's all set up and ready to go?

Well, the OP was talking about a budget of €1500, possibly stretching to €2000 if necessary - I think he'd get a Mercian or a Bob Jackson frame very nicely built up for that. And it did emerge (s)he wasn't really going to be touring at all, but doing 4-5 hour spins, presumably on a fairly regular basis.

I wouldn't dispute that you could get something off-the-peg cheaper but I don't think that Tifosi is going to be quite as nice a bike. The Specialized Roubaix that Blorg mentioned is supposed to be an excellent bike, but maybe a bit more than the OP wants to pay:

http://www.spokes.ie/specialized-roubaix-elite.html

rottenhat wrote: »
    Well, the OP was talking about a budget of €1500, possibly stretching to €2000 if necessary - I think he'd get a Mercian or a Bob Jackson frame very nicely built up for that. And it did emerge (s)he wasn't really going to be touring at all, but doing 4-5 hour spins, presumably on a fairly regular basis.

I wouldn't dispute that you could get something off-the-peg cheaper but I don't think that Tifosi is going to be quite as nice a bike. The Specialized Roubaix that Blorg mentioned is supposed to be an excellent bike, but maybe a bit more than the OP wants to pay:

http://www.spokes.ie/specialized-roubaix-elite.html

Hey rottenhat, been looking at the Mercian site, beautiful bikes indeed! I hope to eventually build up to heading out with your mob. Hope to attend your get-together in early Feb. Not a big fan of Specialized, rather go for something a little less mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭RoubX

For what it's worth, I 'd recommend Justin Burls, he's sound and does custom builds for about the same price as the other two builders. You can get it in Ti for £950.

I also, like the look of the ranges that Mosquito Bikes do. The Salsa Casserroll always looked like a bike you could really relax and tour with. They also have a sale on some incredible dream bikes like the Independent Fabrication XS frame for a mere £3395. Bargin!

Advertisement