Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surly Long Haul trucker

Options
  • 10-05-2010 3:24pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thinking of investing in one of these:

FM6858.jpg

Has anyone got one? What are they like finish wise and most importantly, does anyone know where to get them cheap?

Or are there better tourer frames out there in a similar price range?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Owner.

I read that Cycleways sell them, don't know about stock or price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Wiggle have them but the Sterling exchange rate isn't great at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Cycleways or Cyclelogical can order them in. They are distributed here by Ison Distribution.

http://www.ison-distribution.com/ison/english/product.php?part=FMSUL42A

Another option is bike-components.de from Germany. They work out slightly cheaper, but might take a bit longer to get.

As for how they are, as a mid-range touring frame, they have a good reputation. I have two Surly bikes myself (Big Dummy and Cross Check). I would add a LHT or a Pacer if I was going to get another bike. They are a decent brand, very good affordable frames.

There's a google group for LHT and CC that you could check out

http://groups.google.com/group/SurlyLHT/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'd spend a little extra on a Bob Jackson World Tour. Note have never owned one but that would appeal to me more.

World_tour_500jpeg.jpg

I was considering that or a Mercian but ended up getting a Van Nicholas Amazon- much more expensive frame though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The guy with the bike repair place in Temple Bar (down the steps) has a new Mercian frame for sale. I meant to ask him the price.

I think it was this: http://www.merciancycles.co.uk/frame_king_mercia.asp

• Advertisement

Meant to add, I think short circuit on this forum has a LHT if you wanted to PM him. Certainly a Surly of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Karma

A friend travelled around europe on one 3 years ago. Amazing bikes.
    These guys are pretty good.
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/31402/Surly_Long_Haul_Trucker_700c_Frameset_2010
    There is a 26" version as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

blorg wrote: »
    Meant to add, I think short circuit on this forum has a LHT if you wanted to PM him. Certainly a Surly of some sort.

I have a cross check ... was thinking about LHT, but it was out of stock at that time, didn't like the colour and would probably have had to go with 26" wheels in my size ... none of which I fancied.

The cross check is very similar ... probably has a higher BB if someone really went and did cyclo cross with it ... and it also takes fatter tyres than LHT if that is important ... upto 44mm with mudguards.

Built up, it weighs just over 12kg .. so about 4kg over my Orbea, but this includes, rack, full mud guards and 37mm Conti tyres weighing over 500gms each ...

I find that the bike offers me everything I want ... commute, weekend rides and this weekend, I also went all the way from D15 to city centre along the Royal canal .. the first 5kms were still very very muddy or full of lose gravel ... wouldn't have been able to cover that on a road bike ... but the route is very doable after that ... very nice surface actually.

Issues for you ... you won't be able to take front panniers if that is a requirement .. And if you don't want fat tyres, you might as well get a surly pacer, which takes upto 28mm tyres with fenders and can also take caliper brakes rather than the Vs or canti's you would have with LHT or the cross check.

Would I get one again ... absolutely ... but probably a Jamis .. their paint job looks lovely ... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

I don't have one, but I'd like one ;)

DFD*

*DisplacedFrameDesires

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

I'd spend a little extra on a Bob Jackson World Tour. Note have never owned one but that would appeal to me more.

World_tour_500jpeg.jpg

I was considering that or a Mercian but ended up getting a Van Nicholas Amazon- much more expensive frame though.

I wish you wouldn't show me these things...£425 seems all too reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

I've long hankered after one of these too. Great do-it-all versatile bike with a cool image. Surly rarely mess around with their designs from year to year, so they don't date.

UK online retailer Charlie the Bikemonger has them a bit cheaper at 315stg, compared to Wiggle's 349stg. Nice chap.

You could also consider a Thorn Club Tour frame, but its 450, so good bit more expensive than an LHT.

rottenhat wrote: »
    I wish you wouldn't show me these things...£425 seems all too reasonable.
    Lugged Reynolds 631 handbuilt in the UK, 14 sizes to choose from, any colour you want, all those braze-ons and bits, it is very reasonable! The equivalent Mercian is priced at £725. Would certainly jump out at me over the Surly. Part of me wishes I had gone for something like that rather than the Van Nicholas.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

it is very reasonable!

I agree. I have been half thinking of buying a Surly-Not any more though.:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

TBH what I meant was thank you.

Wasn't sure i could afford what I wanted after beng quoted extortionate prices from the dealers in Dublin. I wanted someone to say no, not offer (really good) alternatives.

If only I was recently given a large wad of cash :eek:

Lugged Reynolds 631 handbuilt in the UK, 14 sizes to choose from, any colour you want, all those braze-ons and bits, it is very reasonable! The equivalent Mercian is priced at £725. Would certainly jump out at me over the Surly. Part of me wishes I had gone for something like that rather than the Van Nicholas.

Bob Jackson is a good and very experienced builder, too. Not sure if I'd really get the use out of a tourer but that trip to Wales got me thinking about it. I should probably just get the rack mounts on the Rivendell retapped so I could put a rack back on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I presume you're not considered a "real cyclist" if you thought this thread was going to be about a confrontation between a cyclist and a grumpy truck driver? :o

rottenhat wrote: »
    Bob Jackson is a good and very experienced builder, too. Not sure if I'd really get the use out of a tourer but that trip to Wales got me thinking about it. I should probably just get the rack mounts on the Rivendell retapped so I could put a rack back on it.
    Touring is really great, I often wonder why so many audax heads don't do it. Tyres wider than 700x28 or so are only really necessary if you are going to go off road but there are many cases where you might actually want to do this (Camino de Santiago, even white roads in Italy, etc.)

Touring is really great, I often wonder why so many audax heads don't do it.

A long-standing dislike of camping is the main reason in my case but there are ways around that, of course. Some of the other irish audax heads are into touring though - Paul and Eddie did a six week tour in Argentina earlier this year, and of course Dave Mc famously tried to ride the length of Africa. In the UK there's a big crossover between AUK and the CTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Touring is really great, I often wonder why so many audax heads don't do it. Tyres wider than 700x28 or so are only really necessary if you are going to go off road but there are many cases where you might actually want to do this (Camino de Santiago, even white roads in Italy, etc.)
    And I'd like to put a good word in for touring bikes themselves. Very versatile, great all-round bike. I'm sorry I didn't get one earlier for my utility cycing.

If my wife could cycle I'd love to go on a touring holiday. I've a friend that cycled to Iran. Quite a trip!

Bluefoam wrote: »
    The guy with the bike repair place in Temple Bar (down the steps) has a new Mercian frame for sale. I meant to ask him the price.

I think it was this: http://www.merciancycles.co.uk/frame_king_mercia.asp

I went into him (the guy near the music centre, I presume). Nice guy but alas the mercian you saw belongs to a customer who brought it in for a bit of work. Had a nice chat with him and he may have some touring frames at a later point in the year but to be honest it's unlikely as it's just not a popular choice, said he'd call me if something caught his eye though.

Anyway back to far more important matters, I am thinking the Surly LHT due to financial restrictions, I think it is the closest to what I want for the best price and there seems to be no actual negative reviews (except one but that was a minor fault).

The last thing is an appearance choice, Black/Blue/Sandy. So far this is the only thing that makes me want to break the bank and get a different bike as none are great in my personal opinion.

Any recommendations on where I'd get a decent paintjob to make my purchase loveable?

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Any recommendations on where I'd get a decent paintjob to make my purchase loveable?
    That would probably cost enough to make it uneconomical. I've seen €90-120 for powdercoating, and I'm not even sure that turns out as well as the stock paintjob the thing comes with. For the price of a LHT+paintjob you could just get a Bob Jackson in any colour you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

http://surlybikes.com/frames/long_haul_trucker_frame/

Black is always a safe option. I don't see the sand colour on their site.

Tallaght Powder Coating do bikes. I've heard of a number of mountainbikers who've had good results.

That would probably cost enough to make it uneconomical. I've seen €90-120 for powdercoating, and I'm not even sure that turns out as well as the stock paintjob the thing comes with. For the price of a LHT+paintjob you could just get a Bob Jackson in any colour you like.

I know they do that for most frames but they weren't clear about the world tourer, have sent them an e-mail to confirm, as its not an option when you go to purchase.
    Bluefoam wrote: »
    http://surlybikes.com/frames/long_haul_trucker_frame/

Black is always a safe option. I don't see the sand colour on their site.

Tallaght Powder Coating do bikes. I've heard of a number of mountainbikers who've had good results.

The sand colour is the 2008 model but it is the same frame:

item_121493.jpg

just got a quote of 130euro all in from tallaght powdercoating.

All in all it would only be 10euro cheaper to get the LHT in whatever colour I wanted if Bob Jackson do not charge for a different colour in the world tour.

The prices are as follows including delivery:

LHT = 380euro to my door + paintjob

Bob Jackson = 520euro to my door (unsure about paintjob yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

LHT = 380euro to my door + paintjob

Bob Jackson = 520euro to my door (unsure about paintjob yet)

You are obviously the best judge of you own finances but I would find the extra few bob for the Bob.
    I'd scrimp somewhere else on the bike to have that lovely handmade/lugged reynolds over a tig welded brand x tubed frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

papac wrote: »
    You are obviously the best judge of you own finances but I would find the extra few bob for the Bob.
    I'd scrimp somewhere else on the bike to have that lovely handmade/lugged reynolds over a tig welded brand x tubed frame.

+1, Bob Jackson makes nice frames

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

tomasrojo wrote: »
    If my wife could cycle I'd love to go on a touring holiday.

Pity you missed out on http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055904733 so... ;)

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I have something rather similar, a Cougar Chariot. However, the wife does weigh more than the recommended maximum, since she's an adult!

Can you get trailers for ferrying adults? I actually would consider buying one until I finally can afford to live in a car with a garage and get a Christiania bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Can you get trailers for ferrying adults?
    You need one of these.

franksidecarF.jpg
    I actually would consider buying one until I finally can afford to live in a car with a garage and get a Christiania bike.
    Why aspire to living in a car, when you could live in one of these:

13-17-340.jpg

DFD*

*DoingForDoubles

How strange! No idea why I typed "living in a car".

• Advertisement

Why aspire to living in a car, when you could live in one of these:

13-17-340.jpg

DFD*

*DoingForDoubles

My rent problems are over, how much for one of those?

Advertisement