Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian Bombers in British Airspace

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

Zillah wrote: »
    I'd imagine that a fabric body and tree-top flight level are far more relevant to dodging radar than the low speed.

Without a doubt it has a lot to do with it, I am not a expert by any means on pulse doppler radar. but have a look at this;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-Doppler_radar

The last paragraph reads as follows;

Stationary targets such as earth ground clutter (land, buildings, etc.) will be dominant in the low doppler frequencies, while moving targets will produce much higher doppler shifts. The radar processor can be designed to mask out clutter by the use of doppler filters (digital or analogue) around the main spectral line (called the clutter-notch), which will result in the display of moving targets only (in relation to the radar). If the radar itself is moving, such as on a fighter aircraft, or a surveillance aircraft, then much more processing will be required, as the clutter in the filters will be based on platform speed, terrain under the radar, antenna depression angle, and antenna rotation/steered angle.

I wonder if it is something to do with filters being used to remove the stationary objects. Also I noticed that in one of the wiki links posted in the last post, the minimum speed for controlled flight was 30kph!
    Maybe a aircraft travelling this slowly would be seen as a stationay object?

Advertisement