Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

New Navy ship LE Samuel Beckett on way after sea trials

Sails into Cork Harbour tomorrow morning. Great news, about time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Horse84

Any idea what time? I'm in passage in the morning might be able to get some pics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Showing up on AIS as approaching Roches Point doing 22 knots. Hope shes got good brakes:D. Weather very poor, rain and low clouds. Won't be ang good pictures of her today.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

BmdRW4XIYAArWU1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Shes berthed on the deep jetty on the NW corner of the base, should be a good view from the Lower Road in Cobh now, weather permitting!

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

10288748_10152321473996166_8315246931807862849_n.jpg

BmdUNrWIAAATd7C.jpg:large

10177448_10152321474066166_8942145359753289409_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

That middle photo is great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

looks great. Nice and new:)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jim from Cork

She/He seems to be well appointed below deck!
    There's some nice below deck pictures on the Naval Photo Section Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/IrishNavyPhotoSection/photos/np.68665638.1164647011/10152358759220944/?type=1&theater

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

She/He seems to be well appointed below deck!
    There's some nice below deck pictures on the Naval Photo Section Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/IrishNavyPhotoSection/photos/np.68665638.1164647011/10152358759220944/?type=1&theater

The cabins look nice.

Im too used to the submarine accomodation on the peacocks :D

Can't see those photos...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

beauf wrote: »
    Can't see those photos...

Try this -

https://www.facebook.com/irishnavalservice/photos_stream

An odd question, but is there no magnetic compass?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Wheelsonthebus

Any idea when we can expect the announcement on the option for the third? Will it be at the commissioning ceremony?

Anyone with any inside knowledge- are they going to go ahead with a third PV90?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭sparky42

Any idea when we can expect the announcement on the option for the third? Will it be at the commissioning ceremony?

I doubt we'll hear anything about that for a while at best, from what I remember reading even best case it would be closer to the Joyce being handed over before any decision is made, suggestions being to see how Beckett preforms first. I know that before Christmas there was no talk from one of the Naval Engineers on the project about the third one, but they were only starting to cut steel for Joyce at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭nowecant

The closed in mast really does look a lot better and i assume it will make it safer for crew going up there as well.

Any word on when/where the commissioning ceremony is?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭a/tel

nowecant wrote: »
    The closed in mast really does look a lot better and i assume it will make it safer for crew going up there as well.

Any word on when/where the commissioning ceremony is?

Saturday 17th May - @ Samuel Beckett Bridge, John Rogersons Quay, Dublin

a/tel wrote: »
    Saturday 17th May - @ Samuel Beckett Bridge, John Rogersons Quay, Dublin

Cool. do you know the arrival/departure time or even timetable for the event. Busy on sat but would like to go and look at the ship at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

Well done to all for the photos, seems a nice ship and hopefully she will provide a good home to all the crew.

One question, the radars, is there any air surveillance radar sets provided, or will they be added later?

I think the LE Eithne has one.

ABC101 wrote: »
    Well done to all for the photos, seems a nice ship and hopefully she will provide a good home to all the crew.

One question, the radars, is there any air surveillance radar sets provided, or will they be added later?

I think it comes under the heading of "fitted for, not with". The mast could take it but they haven't speced it with one.

See that she's already been supporting the RNLI in Kinsale according to the Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

ABC101 wrote: »

There was one on the Eithne but AFAIK it has been removed in recent years, more than likely when the Dauphins were stood down.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I wonder might the British government throw on a few schillings to get a third ship made at the ship yard. Three ships rather than two would really add to its portfolio and help them attract other buisness thus providing jobs over there.

Edit: forgot about the 6bn they already gave.

ted1 wrote: »
    I wonder might the British government throw on a few schillings to get a third ship made at the ship yard. Three ships rather than two would really add to its portfolio and help them attract other buisness thus providing jobs over there.

Edit: forgot about the 6bn they already gave.

I doubt it, I think they'd have more interest in getting more business for the Clyde yards that have been building the Rivers and the 3 new ones.

roundymac wrote: »
    There was one on the Eithne but AFAIK it has been removed in recent years, more than likely when the Dauphins were stood down.

Has not been removed, upgraded a few years ago actually.

The P60s have been futureproofed for the system, i presume its a money issue why they are not installed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

a/tel wrote: »
    Has not been removed, upgraded a few years ago actually.

The P60s have been futureproofed for the system, i presume its a money issue why they are not installed.

What version of Air Surveillance Radar has she got now?

Morpheus wrote: »
    What version of Air Surveillance Radar has she got now?

Even if someone knows the specs, should they be telling?

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Even if someone knows the specs, should they be telling?

Good point. Even if i knew, wouldnt be putting it in a public forum :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭pilatus

I may be wrong but I don't think she has a dedicated air search radar unit. OPSEC is no issue here I dont believe, as the tenders were released long ago for the radar unit she had installed. Without giving away the specific model or any specs, Beckett is fitted with a Kelvin Hughes unit, which is in use on many commercial vessel's.

Remember dedicated air surveillance radars are expensive and for an OPV operating off Ireland, it's just another gucci accessory that will suck up funds to keep it detecting flocks of seagulls and migrating swallows.

Advertisement