Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what colour is water(or does it have a colour)?

Options
  • 25-01-2011 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭

Drunk in the pub the other night we ended up debating about the colour of water( I know what you're thinking, "calm down you crazy bastards") and even ended up putting a 10 euro bet on it.

so while im waiting on my email response from stephen fry

do you think water is blue or clear?

also whats the most ridiculous thing you have got into a debate in a pub about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

I thought water was supposed to be brown :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

watercolour.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It's clear.
    The blue is a reflection of the sky.
    Sweet Jesus. Did anyone pay attention to the basics in Primary school?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Pure water is a clear, colourless liquid, read a Science textbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

And you either had way to much alcohol to be debating this, or no-where near enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Pure water is a clear, colourless liquid, look at a glass of water

fyp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

One of the few things I remember from school is that water is a colorless orderless tasteless liquid..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

water appears clear in small amounts, however in larger volumes you can see it's actual colour which is blue - its just that its got such a paltry shade of blue we cant see it unless there are billions of litres of it

the "the sea is blue coz its a reflection of the sky" is absolute turd

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

In Spain it's brown
    In paradise it's blue
    In Ireland it's clear, unless you're in the bath, then it's white.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

This is, without a doubt, the stupidest question I've seen in an awfully long time.

How the fcuk could water be blue? Why didn't one of you just go to the bar and ask for a glass of bloody water?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

*analyses tap water*

its clear with white bits floating...

phasers wrote: »
    This is, without a doubt, the stupidest question I've seen in an awfully long time.

How the fcuk could water be blue? Why didn't one of you just go to the bar and ask for a glass of bloody water?
    The color of water is a subject of both scientific study and popular misconception. While relatively small quantities of water are observed by humans to be colorless, pure water has a slight blue color that becomes a deeper blue as the thickness of the observed sample increases. The blue tint of water is an intrinsic property and is caused by selective absorption and scattering of white light. Impurities dissolved or suspended in water may give water different colored appearances.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_of_water

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

Watch more QI. Fry says all kinds of quite interesting stuff- like the colour of pure water being a very slight blue but this isn't observable in small quantities, like your puny glass or dirty tumbler.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Water has no colour cause its imaginary!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Watch more QI. Fry says all kinds of quite interesting stuff- like the colour of pure water being a very slight blue but this isn't observable in small quantities, like your puny glass or dirty tumbler.
    !

...huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

phasers wrote: »

then why are indoor swimming pools blue?

http://elitechoice.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/biggest-indoor-swimming-pool-1.jpg

and notice how it gets more blue in the deep section? the more amount of the substance the more blue it is...........and thats why one glass does not look blue

Have you ever read a Chemistry text book??????? Water does not absorb light (say in a spectrophotometer) because it's colourless.

What do you blank a spec with? WATER.

Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Helix wrote: »
    The color of water is a subject of both scientific study and popular misconception. While relatively small quantities of water are observed by humans to be colorless, pure water has a slight blue color that becomes a deeper blue as the thickness of the observed sample increases. The blue tint of water is an intrinsic property and is caused by selective absorption and scattering of white light. Impurities dissolved or suspended in water may give water different colored appearances.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_of_water

ta'ra now

Oranage2 wrote: »
    cause its imaginary!

no, that would be your sex life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

wonton wrote: »
    no, that would be your sex life.
    ooooooh, sick burn...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Helix wrote: »
    ta'ra now

Someone needs to rewrite my college notes. Interesting.

On a sidenote, dude, it's wikipedia. If there's published papers, that's one thing. I'm not saying there aren't, but Wiki is hardly reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

It's definitely blue.

actually i should have put this in the popular science forum.

If a mod sees this could he move it please, sorry i wasnt thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

what colour is a fart?

blue

because it blew out of your arse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭thenutflush

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, and then it hit me

... carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Terry wrote: »
    It's clear.
    The blue is a reflection of the sky.
    Sweet Jesus. Did anyone pay attention to the basics in Primary school?
    Pure water is a clear, colourless liquid, read a Science textbook.

Clearly neither of you two did since both your posts are bullis**t.

How about doing your research before belittling others with genuine questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Someone needs to rewrite my college notes. Interesting.

On a sidenote, dude, it's wikipedia. If there's published papers, that's one thing. I'm not saying there aren't, but Wiki is hardly reliable.

Wiki is generally a lot more reliable than people give it credit for.

As with a lot of Wikipedia articles, this one references published papers, which are linked at the bottom of the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

I assume the Journal of Chemical Education will suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Mono... DOH

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Germag

2 old guys staring into their pints for a long time, then one says to the other and I quote " Where do flies go to in the winter?" " Don't know ,where do they go?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

The truth...

Advertisement