Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Climate Denier"

Options
  • 23-01-2011 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

After watching the Late Late Show the other night and seeing the Green Supporter call the guest a "climate denier" I couldn't believe what I was hearing... :mad:

Now, I don't agree humans are causing climate change like many other people, but to come up with such a term to categorise people of such views is a disgrace imo... what's your view and do you take offence to that made up term?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭bazzer86

Withdraw!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Most terms are made up to be fair. I don't think people should take offence, personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

bazzer86 wrote: »
    Withdraw!!!

Withdraw!!! Withdraw!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Withdraw!!! Withdraw!!!!

The sad thing was jim corr copying him about 30 seconds later . . .:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

That Green supporter didn't do their cause much good with that statement - "Climate Denier" what a ridiculous label. When Jim Corr is on the show and still still come across as the dumbest then you know its time to call it a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 baux

Lord Monckton denies that humans are responsible for climate change. He has been paid by an insurance company (I don't know what company) to research the claims made by the IPCC. His conclusions are that they exaggerated the predictions of climate change and that the CO2 that humans produce has little to do with climate change.

I found it very funny because he's not denying the climate. I thought that woman was a bit silly, extremely emotional and absolutely no match to Lord Monckton. Calling him a climate denier was pointing that out perfectly because getting personal showed that she had no real rebuttals. Poor woman.

Lord Monckton is a very controversial person, I love him. I don't agree with everything he says and I certainly would not like to engage in a debate with him but he reminds me a bit of Stephen Fry. And he always has very strong points that can make you very uncomfortable.

I found what was said to Jim Corr more offensive;
    The man in the public said;
    "I've spend some time on his website over the last couple of days and ...the history of conspiracy theory in North America and Europe over the last century....and what he calls the Anglo-American shadow government... has its roots in...frankly in antisemitism.'

He goes on to say that he doesn't think that this is where Jim Corr is coming from. But the damage was done.

To me, this sort of name calling and associations kills a debate.
    Call Jim Corr a conspiracy theorist all you like but his heart lies with the people of Ireland. They didn't allow him to talk about the economy!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

There is no climate!

Seriously though, when I heard the term used on Friday night I assumed De Burca just made it up, but after looking into it; it appears that the old term of climate change skeptics isn't used much any more, at least within 'skeptic' circles. I guess they don't want the term skeptic to be muddied by those who question the validity of anthropomorphic climate change studies. Seems a bit ironic to me tbh

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

If that's the term, then fair enough but does this mean the word denier is now automatically associated with "holocaust denier" and makes you on par with David Irving for denying whatever you choose to not believe in? That's just plain stupid, if someone called me a denier of whatever, I wouldn't see me being on the same level as a holocaust denier and wouldn't take offense.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I thought this was a thread about climate controlled tights! :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Just to add, I think Lord Monckton played that one to his advantage.

• Advertisement

which are?
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

If that's the term, then fair enough but does this mean the word denier is now automatically associated with "holocaust denier" and makes you on par with David Irving for denying whatever you choose to not believe in? That's just plain stupid, if someone called me a denier of whatever, I wouldn't see me being on the same level as a holocaust denier and wouldn't take offense.

I think it's the idea that it's viewed as a form of Denialism that irks people, it's a pretty negative label to have attached to your ideas even though they may be empirically based.

I wasn't aware of Denialism, thanks for adding reason to that, I thought it was Godwin fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

which are?
    :confused:

Tights which regulate the temperature so your legs don't get too hot or too cold. They can be 7, 10 or 40 dernier so you can see why I was slightly confused. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭srocliffe

I thought exactly the same thing when reading the thread title, that it was about tights :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The term "denier" is being used to cover a range of positions from outright deniers to moderate skeptics. The AGW lobby insists on full acceptance of their scenario of catastrophic climate change. Anyone whose opinion is "won't be so bad" to "nothing really is happening" gets labelled as a "denier" by the AGW/CC lobby.

In my own case, I've always believed that AGW was a faint background signal that was confused with natural warming cycles at times in the late 1980s and 1990s to about 2006. Clearly those natural warming cycles have faded and we're into a colder (natural) climate. I do accept that greenhouse gases are adding a signal of perhaps 0.5 C deg to the complex reality.

This makes me a "denier" to some, but I've run into people in the debate who insist there is no signal and even some who claim that all the excess carbon dioxide comes from the natural warming cycles. That part I don't accept, I see the evidence for man-made increases in greenhouse gases since the early 20th century.

Stronger terms are also used, such as "climate holocaust" which can involve predictions of rapid extinction of the human species -- all of which seem highly speculative and worst-case-scenario to me. There is really not that much evidence that a 7-metre sea level rise would be much more than a manageable inconvenience on the scale of the human race, of course it would be catastrophic in some limited areas, but one supposes that technology might provide solutions in the time scale of the more likely appearance of this problem (which I rate as being only moderately likely at worst).

I firmly believe that the whole scenario is politically motivated by scientists who are placing their politics ahead of science, and trying to stampede governments and voters into radical economic changes. So far the evidence is that these changes have harmful effects on a scale perhaps thousands of times greater than the climatic problems that are supposed to be fixed, and also no evidence that these really are problems or that they could be fixed.

In other words, they want a green stampede to a utopian green future that might not even make slight economic sense, as we can see in the vastly inefficient performance of wind energy in its developing stages. A certain amount of this green agenda probably makes sense, but the whole agenda when based on fictitious warnings of impending doom might actually bring on that doom through economic collapse. Anyway, asking people who can't predict the weather to predict the economy is asking for trouble. The question is, do we already have the trouble, or can we shake these people off before they scare people into making decisions that cannot be easily reversed, and that cause dramatic collapses of national economies? One notes that a certain group of countries want us to make these changes, but not themselves. Is this not really just a sort of economic war being fought on false scientific premises?

One perfect example of changes that shouldn't be made in M.T'S post is the climate change bill the green party wanted to bring in. He it had good through it would have absolutely destroyed irish agriculture, ruined our food exports, massively increased our reliance on imports and resulted in thousands unemployed. The most ironic rape is that other countries would produce more to make up for us, and as we are far more efficient in agriculture in ireland than a lot of countries, it would actually have increased carbon emissions. :rolleyes: green logic. . . :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It is soooooo much simpler if you go along with it.

Here is an example of how it works.

1. Scientists explain how global warming makes the north atlantic less salty
    2. Scientists explain how global warming makes the north atlantic more salty

Can't lose :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

The term "denier" is being used to cover a range of positions from outright deniers to moderate skeptics. The AGW lobby insists on full acceptance of their scenario of catastrophic climate change. Anyone whose opinion is "won't be so bad" to "nothing really is happening" gets labelled as a "denier" by the AGW/CC lobby.

In my own case, I've always believed that AGW was a faint background signal that was confused with natural warming cycles at times in the late 1980s and 1990s to about 2006. Clearly those natural warming cycles have faded and we're into a colder (natural) climate. I do accept that greenhouse gases are adding a signal of perhaps 0.5 C deg to the complex reality.

This makes me a "denier" to some, but I've run into people in the debate who insist there is no signal and even some who claim that all the excess carbon dioxide comes from the natural warming cycles. That part I don't accept, I see the evidence for man-made increases in greenhouse gases since the early 20th century.

Stronger terms are also used, such as "climate holocaust" which can involve predictions of rapid extinction of the human species -- all of which seem highly speculative and worst-case-scenario to me. There is really not that much evidence that a 7-metre sea level rise would be much more than a manageable inconvenience on the scale of the human race, of course it would be catastrophic in some limited areas, but one supposes that technology might provide solutions in the time scale of the more likely appearance of this problem (which I rate as being only moderately likely at worst).

I firmly believe that the whole scenario is politically motivated by scientists who are placing their politics ahead of science, and trying to stampede governments and voters into radical economic changes. So far the evidence is that these changes have harmful effects on a scale perhaps thousands of times greater than the climatic problems that are supposed to be fixed, and also no evidence that these really are problems or that they could be fixed.

In other words, they want a green stampede to a utopian green future that might not even make slight economic sense, as we can see in the vastly inefficient performance of wind energy in its developing stages. A certain amount of this green agenda probably makes sense, but the whole agenda when based on fictitious warnings of impending doom might actually bring on that doom through economic collapse. Anyway, asking people who can't predict the weather to predict the economy is asking for trouble. The question is, do we already have the trouble, or can we shake these people off before they scare people into making decisions that cannot be easily reversed, and that cause dramatic collapses of national economies? One notes that a certain group of countries want us to make these changes, but not themselves. Is this not really just a sort of economic war being fought on false scientific premises?

MT, "Climate Denier" label is actually used implicitly and on purpose to equate with deniers of far more violent things. It's a disgrace of a term in my view. A label to shut down debate. People talk about facism - well listening to Duncan Stewart saying our voice does not count because it has been proven and we should be taken off the air...that is what he said. Now to me that is facism. Not that I have truck with the Lord Brit in the OP. He is as anti Irish as he is anti human climate change.

They don't like a critical point of view clearly....

As for "a small minority" - tell us "madam" what percentage of the population voted for the Green Party last election!?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 hplp

The other big thing to remember is the vast amount of money that scientists have been able to secure to 'research' into it. If you were in a position that if you deviated the course of your research slightly to be gauranteed far more money or even funding in the first place, what would you do?

Ive seen this tons of times when at university.

H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Oh when will they realise? When it's too late? When our pockets are raped in the name of climate change? Please, please stop this madness. Windmills can't turn in the ice, it's not our fault that somebody put our oil under their sand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

was that De Burca who said this ?

I saw it and thought it was hilarious , what a dumb Bint .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I'm a Green Denier, I've denied them my vote!

I call on every one to do the same. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Watch Horizon tonight on BBC2.

Science under attack

I don't think we'll have any problems denying the greens votes this time round. . . After the last 3 years anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hevsuit

d155be9c-5691-4599-900b-67f66bee7f70.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

How can you deny climate? Climate is all around for everyone to see. Climate Denier is just a stupid term - It'd be almost like calling somebody a weather denier! Presumably Climate change denier is what was meant, which obviously a lot of people are? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

hplp wrote: »
    The other big thing to remember is the vast amount of money that scientists have been able to secure to 'research' into it. If you were in a position that if you deviated the course of your research slightly to be gauranteed far more money or even funding in the first place, what would you do?

Ive seen this tons of times when at university.

H

yes but this carry on wouldn't be exclusive to either side of the divide in fairness. I must say when Thatcher's ex adviser mentioned he is a paid researcher made me suspicious. Afterall we know that big companies have paid people to skew their research in the past.
    Personally, I think there is no doubt we have some influence on the climate warming, but from what i've read it would seem what's occurring is mainly down to natural cycles.

Anyway, if James Lovelock is to be believed Ireland could be the place to be in a 100 years time.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I must say when Thatcher's ex adviser mentioned he is a paid researcher made me suspicious. Afterall we know that big companies have paid people to skew their research in the past.

Well said Nacho Libre.

(interview starts at 6.30 mins)

'Lord' (:p) Christopher Monckton is a member of the UK Independence Party which supports increased military spending, zero tolerance on crime and a scraping of the 1998 Human Rights Act and who also gives a Union Jack painted finger up to the ECHR. It is really a struggle to take someone who supports Boot Camps seriously!

I just laughed my way through that 'debate' to be perfectly honest. Deidra de Burca reminded me of a robot that was just repeating what she just read somewhere else a few minutes earlier.

Having two 4th rate politicians arguing on this issue is not good chi. De Burka, go back to growing your low fat lettuce; Monckton, go back to whipping your slaves and leave the science to the scientists please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I can see you have the same frustration about this issue being denied a chance for real discussion and debate, as we feel here in Canada.

While we suspect that our government is not very keen on climate change, they refuse to criticize it on the public stage, and with all other parties in our political system very keen on it, this gives the voter who identifies this as a major issue with no options other than hoping their suspicions are right about the Conservative Party. In any case, it's hardly a democratic triumph to have this very contentious issue under a code of official silence in most of the large countries of the "free" world -- they are much more forthright about it in other places.

We clearly need a breakthrough in the political realm to get any change to happen, otherwise I feel that our economies will come under increasing strain to support the harebrained economics of the green agenda. These wind farms are underproducing by unit of investment on a standard rate of 10 to 100 times all other alternatives. If we increase the percentage of the grids given to wind generated electricity, it could bankrupt consumers and businesses. Here in Canada we have seen various increases depending on which province you're in, but Ontario in particular which has a very green oriented government is seeing massive electricity rate increases. This of course just drives industry away to more competitive places, or puts them out of business (which I suspect is the real green agenda).

As Darkman2 says, the censorship aspect is also very troubling. We are only one step away from legal sanctions coming into play against so-called climate deniers. In Canada we already have very contentious free speech limitation laws that prevent people from speaking out on various issues in the social realm, but so far the climate lobby hasn't tried to use these laws on climate skeptics. I think they are holding back because they don't want to inflame public opinion, but if they see their position weakened, I have no doubt that they would use these laws -- and I understand that European countries have similar if not identical laws in place for potential use.

Anyway, the one good thing about the situation is that people are much more alert to cold weather now than they might have been otherwise, due to the surprise factor. :cool:

Advertisement