Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Megadeth Appreciation Thread

Options
  • 23-01-2011 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

A band almost as famous for it's co-founder's bright red hair and alcohol abuse as for it's revolving line up, Megadeth are still a Thrash Metal band who have written some of the best material possible, and managed to do a complete 360 in terms of reviving their otherwise fledging career. But more of that later.

The 'Deth was formed in 1983 by former Metallica lead guitarist Dave Mustaine along with bassist Dave Ellefson, guitarist Greg Handevidt, and drummer Dijon Carruthers, in 1983. Mustaine had been sacked from Metallica in late March 83 (just before they were due to record their debut album Kill Em All) and, still fuming from this expulsion, Mustaine wanted recognition and also his former bandmates blood.

Line up's changed pretty quickly (with the exception of Mustaine and Ellefson), Slayer's Kerry King even joined them for a few gigs, but the most well known early line up of Megadeth featured guitarist Chris Poland and drummer Gar Samuelson - this being the band who recorded the debut Killing Is My Business and Business Is Good (released in June 1985)

220px-500px_Killing%28Remastered%29.jpg

By this time of course, most people had already learned of Mustaine through Metallica, since his writing credits appeared on Metallica's first two albums despite Mustaine claiming he had asked the band not to include his material.

Ironically released the same year as Metallica's magnum opus Master of Puppets (something that would plague Mustaine for years) the bands second effort Peace Sells... but Who's Buying was an incredible step forward for both Thrash and in the band's own personal production. In popular culture, the track 'Peace Sells' would become more identifiable with the band then most of the material they were going to release for the next 20 years.

Keeping the same Mustaine/Ellefson/Poland/Samuelson line up had proved difficult, not least of all due to substance abuse within the band (Gar Samuelson would die of liver failure in 1999) and Poland and Samuelson were replaced with Chuck Behler and Jeff Young for the bands next release, So Far So Good So What - which only built upon their already expansive following. Chuck Behler and Jeff Young were fired after the subsequent tour in support of this album, and as such the line up had little time to solidify, once again in searching for a guitarist and drummer who could join Mustaine and Ellefson.

Having cancelled tours and rescheduled dates due to all members personal substance problems, Mustaine hired drummer Nick Menza and guitarist Marty Friedman to join the band in 1989. Without knowing it at the time, and turning down Dimebag Darrell and Vinnie Paul at the same time, Mustaine had created the bands most iconic line up to date.

The 90's started with a phenomenal run for Megadeth, and saw the release of two breakthrough albums, the Thrash anthem pumping Rust In Peace and the down tuned Countdown to Extinction. Both albums earned Grammy Nominations, both albums had hit singles, and both albums sold in multi platinum numbers - making Megadeth not only a household name, but a true contender to the Metallica etched throne that heralded the genre.

220px-Megadeth-RustInPeace.jpg

220px-Countdown.jpg

As good as Countdown to Extinction was, however, it came with a huge price - fame and mainstream recognition - which even Dave Mustaine later admitted, in 2004, was the cause of the bands creative lull in his own eyes and their chasing of commercial and capitalist goals as opposed to musically creative ones. Thrash Metal had taken a beating in the early 90's, and asides from a few stalwarts remaining by it's anchors, the genre was slowly drifting to a more down tuned approach - Metallica, Megadeth and Anthrax being prime examples of bands who changed their sound to appeal more radio friendly.

In November 1994 Megadeth released Countdown to Extinction, an album driven towards more melodic, hard rock AOR and even featuring some distinctive ballads. The line up remained the same, and as with Countdown for Extinction, the entire band had begun collaborating on material (whereas before it had been Mustaine who had been solely responsible for a large proportion of the musical output)

220px-Megadeth-Youthanasia.jpg

2 years passed, with Megadeth producing successful tours, but still chasing the commercial peaks of mainstream radio and chart success. Cryptic Writings in 1997 was a good, if not great, rock album - but it wasn't a Metal album and asides from a few highlights was a pretty substandard album. It was around this time that the band's most stable line up began fighting over direction, music and style and saw the departure of Nick Menza shortly after it's release.

Sadly, guitarist Marty Friedman, who announced his departure from the group in March 2000 was next to follow - coming some time after the release of another disappointing studio release in Risk. Where Cryptic Writings had glimmers of hope, Risk had little to nothing to substantially call itself a viable Megadeth record.

Mustaine tried desperately and in 2001 released the almost entirely self composed The World Needs A Hero, Ellefson remained, joined by drummer Jimmy DeGrasso (who had also appeared on Risk) and guitarist Al Pitrelli. But fate must have had it in for Mustaine, as it didn't matter how good the album was (a slight return to form but nothing memorable) it just wasn't good enough to claw back the fans Mustaine himself had attacked with the song 'When'

220px-Megadeth_-_The_World_Needs_a_Hero.jpg

Depending on whose story you believe, Mustaine had an accident, and when he awoke he was unable to play guitar. Needing to learn again he officially disbanded Megadeth in 2002 and decided to look elsewhere for musical products. This wasn't to last, since Capitol still required another album from the band, and rather then get sued Mustaine released a solo effort (in the style of Megadeth) under the band name - but without Ellefson for the first time - in 2004

Surprisingly, The System Has Failed was a true return to Thrash routes, an album that helped Megadeth finally reach a point where they'd released material their contemporaries were struggling too. A return to routes and a record of self reflection for Mustaine, inspired by his recent conversion to Christianity, this album did see the return (in studio) of guitarist Chris Poland who laid down several solo pieces.

Deciding to tour the album, Mustaine then wanted to restart the band, and announced his decision to do so at a performance in Argentina. Revolving line up's once again, Mustaine hired drummer Shawn Drover in 2004 (who has been consistent ever since) alongside his brother Glen - later replaced by Chris Boderick.

Bassist wise, James LaMenzo and James MacDonagh helped the band through the next two albums, United Abominations and Endgame, but it was the return of co-founder David Ellefson in 2010 which allowed Megadeth to add another solidifying piece to their comeback.

220px-United_Abominations.jpg

Albums wise Megadeth hasn't put a foot wrong since their rebirth, their last 3 studio albums have all been Thrash-tastic and really shone through as their best work since 1992...the band are now working on another album for 2011

220px-Endgame_album_art.jpg

I personally salute Megadeth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Fantastic post. Huge influence on me as a teenage guitarist, Tornado of Souls is still one of my all time favourite solos, and was thrilled to see them play the Marquee in Cork right next to my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

Amazing band! Gonna see them for the fifth time this summer at sonisphere!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Gotta love em alright, remember killing is my business so well but not the cover you have shown motley? Is that the original release?
    Remember putting far too much money into the juke box in Bolton street to expose the masses to holy wars the punishment due!!

Amazed Marty lasted so long, he must have his own issues and so bonded with the ever strange mustaine, biography worth a read btw!

Nice post yet again op;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Gotta love em alright, remember killing is my business so well but not the cover you have shown motley? Is that the original release?

Megadeth-Killing-Is-My-Bus-431612.jpg

This is the original low budget cover used, the one Mustaine absolutely hated but the label used because all the money had been spent

1984-last+rites+fc.jpg

This was Mustaine's original drawing design for the front cover, used for the 1984 Last Rites Demo tape that circulated and then later adopted in 2004 for the remasters

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I'm a massive Metallica fan. They are the biggest influence on me as a guitarist and song writer, bar none. I definitely think that they ahve put together a better body of work than Megadeth.

However.

I have always felt, if it came down to a Metallica greatest hits, Vs a Megadeth greatest hits, Megadeth would probably get my vote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Metallergy

thought they were the best thing on the Big 4 DVD. maybe was swayed by the flash set bedecked in Rust In Peace motifs, n mustaine had his guitar done with the album front too, n his megadeth sweatbands, n gettin pissed on from the almighty god above but they sounded the part too. if i remember the rain played havoc with the sound at that event.. or maybe i just got a bad rip :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Metallergy wrote: »
    thought they were the best thing on the Big 4 DVD. maybe was swayed by the flash set bedecked in Rust In Peace motifs, n mustaine had his guitar done with the album front too, n his megadeth sweatbands, n gettin pissed on from the almighty god above but they sounded the part too. if i remember the rain played havoc with the sound at that event.. or maybe i just got a bad rip :o

EASILY the best performance on the DVD...

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Whiskeyjack

My first listen to them was the world needs a hero, which I thought was ****e, but since you mentioned it was one of their lesser albums I might give them a re listen. Still think he's a dreadful singer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

My first listen to them was the world needs a hero, which I thought was ****e, but since you mentioned it was one of their lesser albums I might give them a re listen. Still think he's a dreadful singer though.

Do yourself a favour and pick up Rust In Peace and Peace Sells. My two favourite albums. Daves vocals may not appeal to everyone but that snarl perfectly suits the Megadeth sound. I honestly couldn't imagine anyone else doing vocals and pulling it off better.

Without a doubt one of their best performances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Love Megadeth myself but as alluded to in other posts,Mustaines vocals can strain the ears somewhat. I find myself mentally tuning out the vocals sometimes. That being said,most bands would kill to have a back catalogue like Megadeths. Peace Sells and Rust In Peace are classics and easily stand shoulder to shoulder with other genre classics such as Master of Puppets and Reign In Blood.

Had doubts as to whether Mustaine could still cut it but Endgame was excellent and am really excited by what they'll bring out next.

For anyone wishing to see a softer side to Megadeth (having watched all the unplugged videos they really are just as suited to this type of playing as they are to the full on sonic assault)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I have to say the one thing thats always but me off Megadeth is the vocal style, it just does not do it for me. However I do plan on getting Peace Sells and Rust in Peace ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

One of my all time top 2 favorite bands. Always full of top talented musicians and regardless of the bull**** along the way have stayed consistently good(If you think the stuff they wrote in the 90ies weren't good commercial rock albums your nuts).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I like peace sells and so far so good and countdown but, absolutely love rust in peace, their peak! Not a massive fan of youthanisa, and never listened to anythind of theirs after that. Any recommendations on what's good after countdown?

If anyone has any doubts about how good megadeth were, listen to Rust in Peace, not one of the best metal albums of all time, but one of the best albums of all time!
    Tornado of Souls, marty friedman solo at 3:09! The only peace of music that you can masturbate to!
    7cxlpFSCUYc

I think 5 Magics is the most under rated song of all time:

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭MaidenSlayer

The best band I have seen live so far. Saw them play all of "Rust In Peace" live with Ellefson down in The Marquee were absolutely insane! Were definitely the best band on the Big Four DVD and will be again come Sonisphere in the UK. You never get tired of listening to the first 5 albums all are pure gold! And granted Dave hasn't got the best voice in the world but he still has the snarl and some of the aggression he had from back in the day, unlike Hetfield who continuously sings like a country singer (Big Four DVD will confirm this).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Ei still have some of their tapes lying around somewhere.

My favourite band ever and the best gig i have been to (been to 100 odd gigs), Dave is a genius and long live the king.

Awesome live video, dual solo's and drum solo!

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I wouldn't say I'm the biggest fan of Megadeth, but I've always loved both 'Countdown to Extinction' and 'Youthanasia' the most. The other old albums are very good, but for the most part I just can't get into all the songs, and I find myself only liking certain songs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I'll always remember how i got into megadeth.

A mate of mine gave me a lend of KIMB, i gave it a listen. When I heard Mechanix-or"the four horsemen" (unaware of the metallica-megadeth history at this point) i thought to myself - wow they are ripping off metallica, and they sound better!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

New artwork from the upcoming Megadeth album 'Super Collider" released on 4 June.

megacov_zpsb2fb600d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

The best band I have seen live so far. Saw them play all of "Rust In Peace" live with Ellefson down in The Marquee were absolutely insane! Were definitely the best band on the Big Four DVD and will be again come Sonisphere in the UK. You never get tired of listening to the first 5 albums all are pure gold! And granted Dave hasn't got the best voice in the world but he still has the snarl and some of the aggression he had from back in the day, unlike Hetfield who continuously sings like a country singer (Big Four DVD will confirm this).

I actually caught a few tracks last night of this, is it's from Sofia? If so the vocals are dubbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Disturbed's David Draiman has been confirmed to sing on 2 of the songs on Super Collider

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Disturbed's David Draiman has been confirmed to sing on 2 of the songs on Super Collider

Unusual collaborative choice indeed. Just like yer wan from Lacuna Coil dueting with Mustaine on the cringe-inducing re-recording of A Toute le Monde.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Lithium93_ wrote: »

That's because he is meant to have co written two or three tracks on the album.

Going by the amount of guest singers he has on his new band's debut album, he seems to be a team up kind of guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Very good band and enjoyable live. I prefer Rust In Peace and Killing is my Business to any of their other albums.

I will never forget how bad Mustaines vocals were during the Big 4 stream when they were showing it in the cinema, this was before they overdubbed his vocals for the DVD release. I could not stop laughing. I wish i could find a video of it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Actually from watching it last night the whole thing sounds dubbed to fock, I feckin love Megadeth by the way. Peace sells is where its at for me, Samuelson's drumming on that album can't be topped. Not the typical metal drumming, drums sound killer on that album.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Actually from watching it last night the whole thing sounds dubbed to fock

Its hard to hide such blatant overdubbing. Pity because Mustaine can still sound good when he's on form but all too often his live vocals descend into "cat strangling" territory. This is also coming from a die hard Megadeth fan!

• Advertisement

Actually speaking of live Megadeth this seems like somewhat of an unusual choice of song for an unplugged rendition

The solos are cringey as they dont translate to acoustic very well but apart from that it sounds pretty good.

Advertisement