Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicknames

Options
  • 22-01-2011 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭

I just realised while out walking my dogs that I rarely called them by their actual name but rather nicknames. The only time I seem to call them by their actual name is if they are misbehaving or I need them to respond to me immediately.
    But otherwise it's usually something like this:

BEN
    Benny
    Benny Boo
    Benjamin Button
    Fluffy Head

CLEO
    Cle
    Chi-c
    Chi Chi
    Little One

BROOK
    Brookie
    Brooklyn
    Pup
    Beady Eyes (anyone who's experienced the Rottie stare will understand:))

Just wonder if I'm on my own here or do other people do the same?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I am so with you in this,

Jazz is generally Jazzy jazz or little one

Boe is boedy or big boy (that one does get me some looks sometimes lol)

Kerry is Kerry Berry or yappy one (she never blinking shuts up) or rabble rouser as she winds the rest up

and finally Minnie is Minnie Moe or sleepy head as she loves her sleep.

My dad thinks I'm mad with all my nick names but he really can't talk as he can never get their names right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

My male rottweiler is known as SNOOZY SUZY, as hes always snoozing at home, lol. He loves his chill out time at home and the name has always stuck. Even my friends call him Suzy sometimes:D

Havent come up for a name for my rottie pup yet. She could be called Speedy as she is so fast and can out run Cooper in a flash!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Strange .. I was thinking about starting a thread on this just the other day! Our two cats variously get called ...

Buffy
    Buffs
    (The) Bufflet
    Buffkins
    Buffy wuffy
    Buffypuss

Holly
    Holls
    Hollycat
    Hollypuss
    Hollykins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

andreac wrote: »
    Havent come up for a name for my rottie pup yet.

I've called all my dogs 'pup' for the first couple of years until the next actual pup has come along and then they've adopted the nickname. I still call Brook pup now as she is the youngest even though she is a year and a half.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Ooh thought it was just us!!

Archie the Dog
    Archo Parcho
    The Archer
    Arch parch
    Fat Boy
    Fat Dog Slim
    Fatty
    Fatsorama
    Stinky Bum Breath
    Poo Poo
    Poopy Pants (he's not incontinent!)
    We also sing 'Fat pups you are beautiful' (like 'big girls you are beautiful'), he's not even that fat and certainly not a pup!!

Babs the Cat
    Miss Babs
    Babsy
    The Babs
    Ginger Ninja
    The Ginge
    Big fat ginger puss face

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭keaves

Max aka Slobodan Miloshevich / slobadan ( because he never fails in wiping his mug on our clothes after gulpping down water :rolleyes: )

and rather sadly maybe :o baby, baba, pudding, woofer and tapper.....i could go on and on and on .... but on a day to day basis he's bubba!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

My youngest dog is 2.5 and she's still the puppy or the baby doggie :D She still acts like a pup a lot of the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

Great thread:D
    I call my husky Leon, 'Burger'. My RR Phoenix I usually call 'Phoenie' and my bf's RR Rua is 'Ruru'.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Awww, hehe

Ripley: Riprip, The Boss
    Deekin: Deeeek!
    Riddick: Fluffmonster, fluffles
    Malak: babyMalak
    Neeshka: babydog, cuddlemonster

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

My/Our 2 cats.

Trixie:
    Trix
    Trixiedoodle
    The Puke
    The Dose
    Cat

Fred:
    Fledlick
    Superstar Fred
    The pup
    Freddie Big Balls (He's was neutered first chance we got.)
    The Big Jessie (When he gets beaten up, first thing he does is on his side, defensive mode)

My Gecko Kif gets:
    Kifster.
    Kiferoonie
    The K Man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

My/Our 2 cats.

Trixie:
    Trix
    Trixiedoodle
    The Puke
    The Dose
    Cat

Our cat is called Cat, I never intended keeping her ( I took her off some kids mistreating her on the street as a kitten) so I never named her but as with cats they somehow manage to hang around so 9 years later she's still here. The vet even has her registered as 'Cat', she is v.prissy though so we often call her 'Miss Kitty' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

lrushe wrote: »
    Our cat is called Cat, I never intended keeping her ( I took her off some kids mistreating her on the street as a kitten) so I never named her but as with cats they somehow manage to hang around so 9 years later she's still here. The vet even has her registered as 'Cat', she is v.prissy though so we often call her 'Miss Kitty' :)

My Mrs' parents have 2 cats. One is Fat Cat. The younger is Kitten Cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭carraghsgem

Pandora

dora
    dizzy dora
    pandy (my mum calls her that)
    poochie (an ex used to call her that to annoy me!)
    dozjeen (cos she is always snoozeing)
    dumpy
    dumpy dora
    piss pot (hubby calls her that)
    little bitcheen (hubby also calls her that!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Far too many to post, but we have a pup here at the moment and he's called Bear, I'm always saying "come on bear", so now he's known as cheese:D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jedstaff

Staff called Elmo. Somehow morphed into "smeller"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

Scamp, Georgie and Daisy are usually referred to respectively as Woof (or Woofer), Mouse (or Georgina Rodent if she's misbehaving very badly) and Brighteyes. Good to know I'm not alone in giving them nicknames :)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Charlie
    Charlie ba ba
    boo boo ba ba
    Charlie baby
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

Obi
    Obels
    Obi-ness
    Obi-Obi

Roly
    Roly-poly
    Roly-poly Puddins
    Puddins
    The Poly-ness

both
    sweetie pies
    cutie pies
    the boys
    sweetheart
    puppies
    pupples
    puppy-wuppy-uppies
    my darlings

...and other general nonsense! :D

the OH goes with sh1theads and other less "cute" terms of endearment...

God we're all nuts really aren't we! :D

I blame the cute-ness...gets me every time

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

Jellybean
    JB
    Jellybaby
    Pixie Ears
    or when shes naughty "Oi"
    loads of others im sure are not repeatable and anyone who owns a bully knows my pain:P

Zeus
    Fatboy
    Fatty fatty
    Mexican
    and once again Oi:)
    both get bubba or smelly:P

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

Excellent thread btw!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

Sheeba is always called sheeba due too no shorter version, ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Harley
    Harley baby
    H
    pup
    Harls
    We also sing songs to him, main three being "hey hey wait a minute mr harley", "if you like it then you should have put a harley on it (all the single bitches)" and "I like big butts" EDIT: when you sing I like big butts he stick his ass in the air

Miller
    Milly
    Milly poo
    Mill
    Handsome man

Willow
    Willie
    Will
    Little Lady
    Sweetie

Husband
    :pac: nah only joking

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

Oscar is:

Ozzy
    Oz
    Wuzza Wuzza
    Ozzy Wazzy
    Osk

and Oh for god's sake, I thought I put you out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Thank God this is anonymous:D (At least I hope it is:o)

Millie

Mills,
    Milipede,
    Pedo (that causes raised eye-brows!)
    Mommy's dit gurl (translates in human speak to Mommy's little girl!)
    Mommy's baby

Max

Macko
    Maxo
    Blunder Bus
    Mommy's dit boy (see above for translation!)
    Christy Brown(may cause offence with this one by his left foot it a bit dodgy!)
    Peter Piss Can (due to excessive urination!!)
    And one I honestly cant write as I'm too embarrassed but it implies that he has three "urinary outlets" instead of one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I've too many to have loads of nicknames for each one but here's mine

Phantom - Phanty, Phant, The teleporter (her ability to escape from any enclosed garden

Oscar - Fatboy, Okish, Oker (thanks to my 3 year old cousin)

Little Dude - Dude, ****head (according to the hubby, at least 5 times a day)

Ellie - Mad Ellie, The Freak

Wiley - Wiles, Famishus famishus, Mutton head

Púca - The Púca, Púca pants, Deafo, Púca Face (sung to Lady Gaga's Poker face ..... P-p-p-p-p-púca face, p-p-púca face, Can't hear sh1t, can't hear sh1t, no she can't hear it cos she's the Púca face.....)

We got Phantom first and mainly called her Phant so when we got the second dog hubby got to name her, that's the rule in our house, if I'm allowed to get another animal then he gets to name them. So he named our second dog Ellie, cos he thought it'd be hilarious if we were on the beach yelling for an Ellie-Phant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Shazanne wrote: »
    And one I honestly cant write as I'm too embarrassed but it implies that he has three "urinary outlets" instead of one!!!
    pleeeeeease

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I always say "yo dog" How original!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

One of my friends is fantastic at naming dogs, some include

Tipsy - cos she was found by gardai and locked into a cell, they said for being drunk and disorderly

Oi - As in Oi You!

Deefer - As in D for Dog

GB - Grumpy B!tch

Willy - Cos his mammy nibbled off more than the umbilical cord :eek:

Cinderella - cos she was found outside The Slipper pub

Rabbit - her cat!

Blanket brigade - tamed feral cat that wrapped itself in a blanket and wouldnt get out for the first 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Jasper - didn't name him - but he was a stray kitten that we took in and my son named him - he's been known as Jasper, Jas, Jasper Carrot and Carrot Sticks :D 'Tis ok - he'll answer to all of them.

Angel - now she's mine - she was a little kitten rescued from the vets. A pure ball of white fluff. Her days were numbered - we had 24hrs to collect her, I didn't need them, she came home with me straight away. She'd have been an Angel if I hadn't taken her -so that was her name - granted she too has variants of her name - Angel, Ang, Gabby from Angel Gabriel)

Flint - our 10mth old ESS. Can't remember where his name came from - I say I thought it up - other half says he did..... he's been known as Flint, Flintstone oh and ****ehawk when he gets up to no good :rolleyes:

Oh and when I was a youngster growing up - my mother rescued this grey thick coated cat - she was called Squatter mainly 'cause she used to just come into the kitchen and plonk herself down on dad's chair and wouldn't budge. She went on to have two lovely kittens, dad got to name them - Black & Decker :D

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Murphy-
    Murffles
    Murph
    Smurf
    Smurfy
    Murphy-moo
    Long Cat
    Slinky

Yoshi-
    Fat Cat
    Fatman
    Yoshman
    Yosh-Yosh
    Fatty-fatty two by four, cant fit through the kitchen door (so inspirationally thought up by the OH)
    Bigman
    Big Fella
    Saddlecap
    (He's a big chunky white and black cat who's mostly white with a black saddle and a black cap)

Kiba-
    Puppy
    Kibbles
    Keebs
    Keebo
    Hairy Moose
    The Heap
    Furbag

Izzy and Stig then are in turn called either Izzwald and Stigbert, or Izzbert and Stigwald. No idea why.

Advertisement