Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How fit should a man be?

Options
  • 22-01-2011 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Weird title I know, but having embarked on a bid to be fitter, I was wondering what men in general feel should be the standard in order to be considered physically fit. I am putting this in tGC as I am looking for normal men's opinions and not fitness junkies.

Eg, I feel you should be able to run a 10k in <50mins, do 100 sit ups and 50 press ups, each without breaks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭omniscient_toad

Being able to run a certain distance and possibly the pressups I agree with but I think situps are one of the most pointless measurements/exercises around, a reasonable number of pullups would be a much better test, maybe 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Situps are easy. I'm not fit at all but can do 500 easy without stopping (well I say 'easy' but I'd probably get bored during).
    I would assume a better indication of one's physical fitness would be how long they can sustain a pacey jog/slowish run for.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

I can run 10k in about 39 mins (or I used to :P it's the off season right now) but I couldn't do 50 pushups. I think a man should be fit enough so that it doesn't negatively impact his health.

Apart from that, it's pretty academic in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

And yeah sit ups are piss, crunches are a much tougher test of the stomach muscles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Used to be a good runner, 10k in about 42 minutes but you know, I wasn't fit overall.
    No way could I do 50 pushups, weak as a kitten.
    So I could do 13 mile runs every week but put me on a site labouring and I'd be useless. So not a fit man

I think you'll have to include pullups in that list, a good test of fitness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Josh_Calvert

Ultimately only two measures count:

1: Your self esteem and self satisfaction

2: Whatever encourages women to let you have sex with them

Generally one leads to the other :)

I can't run very far or do even one push up but I can do static strength stuff easy as pie.

It only matters that you help your dna give you the best it has, not measuring up against other men or abstract standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

That's it. I'm heading back to the BGRH forum!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

A man should be able to carry all the shopping in from the car boot in one go, including the spuds.

Beefcake! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

I think running is a pretty bad indication of physical fitness, as well as outdated and terrible in the long run for your joints.
    Think about it this way, have a look at an olympic sprinter and an olympic 5k runner. Who would you honestly prefer to look like?

I think a much better indication would be to take several different base exercises such as push-ups, pull-ups, rows, squats etc and see how many sets of 10 each you can do in 20 minutes.

As for the actual question I think as someone said above its all about how you feel. I've been up and down the fitness ladder quite a bit (never too far down thankfully) and can say that after a certain level up that ladder you just simply start to feel great. Hard to put a finger on it but you just have more energy, you look at yourself in the mirror and smile, your gf/wife or maybe other women will start to look at you differently. The best part is once you start to feel that way working out goes from, something that has to be done, to something that you look forward to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

One-arm Pushups x 10 each side
    One-leg squats x 10 each side
    Pullups x 10
    Hanging Leg Raises x 20
    Bridges x 20
    Handstand Pushups x 15

If you can do this you are a real man.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Rycn wrote: »
    Pullups x 10
    Hanging Leg Raises x 20
    Bridges x 20
    Handstand Pushups x 15

You found this where, Teamtest?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Not very, isn't there help available for that sort of thing ?

No, my brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

I think you should be strong and fit, id be embarrassed and ashamed if i wasnt. Shocking how many people cant do a single pushup...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Well, this reply is not going to be popular,
    But, honestly speaking fit enough to be on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Ha, I dont think Im fit but I can easily do 60/70 press ups without a break and easily 150 sit ups(so boring!!) dunno bout 10k though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Eg, I feel you should be able to run a 10k in <50mins, do 100 sit ups and 50 press ups, each without breaks.

You can't really look at it in such a simplistic way. You can only judge your personnel fitness levels relative to the sport/s you're training in.
    For example, Pro cyclists are cycling fit but wouldn't be able to run for sh!t & vice versa.
    I think situps are one of the most pointless measurements/exercises around

Again, it's all relative. I've trained in submission wrestling and strengthening the core area was a fundamental part of training as the benefits are big for that specific sport.

Fill me in on the secret joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

as fit as you want to be? Who are you doing it for OP, you or someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I think guys should be able to benchpress their own weight for 10 reps. I'm workin toward it - can do 10 reps for 80% of my current weight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

You can't really look at it in such a simplistic way. You can only judge your personnel fitness levels relative to the sport/s you're training in.
    For example, Pro cyclists are cycling fit but wouldn't be able to run for sh!t & vice versa.

Again, it's all relative. I've trained in submission wrestling and strengthening the core area was a fundamental part of training as the benefits are big for that specific sport.

Situps are very bad for your spine, theres alot of better core exercises out there that dont stress the spine as much.

situps should not be as easy as people here claim them to be if you are doing them right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

To all @ what age

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

--LOS-- wrote: »
    situps should not be as easy as people here claim them to be if you are doing them right
    This. If you're capable of 50+ pressups and 100 + situps, then you're a) pretty fit, b) doing them incorrectly or c) a fantasist/lying. Delete as applicable. My take anyway.
    Darlughda wrote:
    Well, this reply is not going to be popular,
    But, honestly speaking fit enough to be on top.
    Funny enough I'd agree with that. If you're able for vigorous sex in the oul missionary it's a good sign of fitness I reckon. For a start you can get and keep it up, so your endocrine system and blood vessels would appear to be tip top. You'll need pretty good core strength for thrusting and enough upper body strength to take some of your weight. If you are able to sustain it for as long as it takes then you've got pretty good cardio fitness too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Pullups x 10
    Hanging Leg Raises x 20
    Bridges x 20
    Handstand Pushups x 15

if you can do that you're either a gymnast or weigh 60kg

what's that supposed to mean?

if you can do that you're either a gymnast or weigh 60kg
    I can't do it, but i'm working up to it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Would echo people not doing situps right finding it easy. Also I really would recommend crunches over them for your back, and as I've started back at them recently heh.

For some reason I can only run on treadmills or my knee is incredibly sore, have an old sports injury, I would have thought that they would be more harsh on your joints?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Pullups x 10
    Hanging Leg Raises x 20
    Bridges x 20
    Handstand Pushups x 15

Ah here, don't be dragging us into this! If someone came along and said he could do all of that I'd boot him off the site and back to ilovejustinbieber.com

General rule is: lots of bodyweight exercises = he must be a skinny bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

pajunior wrote: »
    I think running is a pretty bad indication of physical fitness, as well as outdated and terrible in the long run for your joints.
    Think about it this way, have a look at an olympic sprinter and an olympic 5k runner. Who would you honestly prefer to look like?

I think a much better indication would be to take several different base exercises such as push-ups, pull-ups, rows, squats etc and see how many sets of 10 each you can do in 20 minutes.

As for the actual question I think as someone said above its all about how you feel. I've been up and down the fitness ladder quite a bit (never too far down thankfully) and can say that after a certain level up that ladder you just simply start to feel great. Hard to put a finger on it but you just have more energy, you look at yourself in the mirror and smile, your gf/wife or maybe other women will start to look at you differently. The best part is once you start to feel that way working out goes from, something that has to be done, to something that you look forward to.
    olympic 5k runner wtf???

• Advertisement

Would echo people not doing situps right finding it easy. Also I really would recommend crunches over them for your back, and as I've started back at them recently heh.

For some reason I can only run on treadmills or my knee is incredibly sore, have an old sports injury, I would have thought that they would be more harsh on your joints?

oh I've actually mixed up sit-ups for crunches.

Advertisement