Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MGS 1-3 being released in hd?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

On one hand, i don't really like the whole concept of remaking games. One the other hand, Shadow of the Colossus/Ico and MGS 1-3? Yes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I would buy a PS3 if this was true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Remake the Psycho Mantis part to read your HDD/Internet History, would be awesome...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

ANY CHANCE THIS REMAKE WILL BE MULTIPLATFORM?

Highly doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

eugeneious wrote: »
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-21-metal-gear-solid-next-for-hd-revamp

I really would love this to be true! IMO they are three of the best games ever made.

Metal Gear Solid 2 one of the best games ever made? Me arse. It was a load of ****e. I want to play MGS game as Snake...not some freak girly boy.

The first however is a stone cold classic which still plays fine as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

isnt the metal gear franchise coming to the 360 this year? lead character called raiden in the game i think

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

o1s1n wrote: »
    Metal Gear Solid 2 one of the best games ever made? Me arse. It was a load of ****e. I want to play MGS game as Snake...not some freak girly boy.

MGS 2 is still a brilliant game in terms of game play. At the time it came out it was hugely popular and very well received, so i would say lot of people would include it as one of their favourite/best games ever

Yes, but Sony are supplying the tools required to update PS1&2 games to HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

isnt the metal gear franchise coming to the 360 this year? lead character called raiden in the game i think

If thats true they can F'n keep it :(

Have you never played MGS2? Raiden is the "freak girly boy" mentioned earlier and was the sole reason that game sucked!!!!!

• Advertisement

ANY CHANCE THIS REMAKE WILL BE MULTIPLATFORM?

I doubt it as Sony still fully own the rights for the series and it seems that they will only make metal gear rising multi platform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

o1s1n wrote: »

I never understood the Raiden hate brigade tbh... I thoroughly enjoyed MGS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Yea in 4 they actually made the worst part of metal gear 2 the a badass, the 360 games won't be a real metal gear game compare to the others but Raiden won't be a fualt. If it's true they better release the trophies for 4.

Haven't gotten any of the other HD remasters yet but will as soon as i have time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Raiden wasn't that bad in MGS2. People forget that Snake in MGS1 spent a fair bit of time whinging to Meryl and Campbell too.

There's a great analysis of Raiden and MGS2 called 'Driving off the map' which really made me look at MGS2 in another light and makes a lot of sense.

Besides which, the gameplay in MGS2 was fantastic, a great step up from MGS1. First person shooting, more using the environment, more differences in the gameplay.

The worst part of MGS2 was Emma. Nuff said.

Hope this does come out. About time to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Fairly sure the next MGS is multi platform, honeslty cant recall where i seen that but its not a Sony IP anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Barrington wrote: »
    Raiden wasn't that bad in MGS2. People forget that Snake in MGS1 spent a fair bit of time whinging to Meryl and Campbell too.

It was an innocent time.

Besides which, the gameplay in MGS2 was fantastic, a great step up from MGS1. First person shooting, more using the environment, more differences in the gameplay.

No one would say the gameplay was bad and most would say that it was better but it's the character that most have a problem with.
    The worst part of MGS2 was Emma. Nuff said.

they could have toned her down a bit but the similarity to the last game was worth the annoyance, every time something reminded me of 1 was great love going back in 4 and the references to future events in 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

Remake the Psycho Mantis part to read your HDD/Internet History, would be awesome...

Baaaad idea. Imagine Mantis telling you that you've been a filthy boy with your wife/girlfriend/mother in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I loved the original MGS for the PS1. Amazing game from start to finish, and I still play it to this day. Unfortunately, that's as far as my love for the series goes. I wouldn't say no to replaying it in nice crispy HD though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

yes please, what a game(s)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,121 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That'd be brilliant if they brought them out in HD.

I remember seeing Raiden for the first time in MGS2 and thinking ''Christ, he looks a bit girly'' but in MGS4 he was fecking badass!
    Fighting off guards with no arms and using a sword with his teeth = new found respect for character :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The return to Shadow Moses in 4 gave us a taster of what it might be like. Would love to play the first came with non triangular characters!

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

1 and 3 where amazing games. 2 was fine gameplay wise but the story was complete and utter nonesense, Raiden and Rose where beyond awful, boss fights where pretty uninspired too.

Thought 4 was okay but the storyline created by MGS 2 ruined the chances of a decent storyline in 4. And no Raiden was not bad ass in that he was just an ass.

Master of the Universe

eugeneious wrote: »
    MGS 2 is still a brilliant game in terms of game play. At the time it came out it was hugely popular and very well received, so i would say lot of people would include it as one of their favourite/best games ever

50 cent games are popular.

Halo games are popular and well received and they're generic space marine fps rubbish.

Mortal Kombat games are popular.

Popularity does not a good game make.

I would imagine very few people would include Metal Gear Solid 2 as one of the best games ever made. The original? of course. Not that though. Some of the gameplay was fun, but the whole thing just got very silly about half way through.
    I never understood the Raiden hate brigade tbh... I thoroughly enjoyed MGS2.

It's pretty simple - if I go to a concert for example, I want to hear the band I'm paying for. I don't want 5 minutes of the band I paid for and then two hours of some band I've never heard of.

Raiden as a character would have been fine in his own game. But I bought Metal Gear Solid 2 after loving the original and being super excited about playing as Snake on my new shiny PS2. As did many other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

lol!

" you were a nought boy visiting these websites snake! NOW DIE! "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I'm a huge fan of the Metal Gear Solid franchise and while I agree Kojima did take a chance with making Raiden the main playable character for most of Metal Gear Solid 2, I think it's stupid that people in this thread write off the entire game as a whole just because they weren't playing with a different character model. The game itself was fantastic. Everything from the story (Area of contention here but I can follow it fine since I payed attention), character development (Raiden especially, Snake seems a bit more one-dimensional in this game for the most part until towards the end), gameplay, soundtrack, boss fights and level design. All just top notch.

That being said I don't really want to derail the thread and pull it into a Raiden bashing spectacle. Just throwing my two cents in. And to answer the question, YES! I'd love to have all three remade in HD, although with the way the first one was made on the PS1 I don't think it'd make the character models look better at all. I still laugh when I look at how the faces were produced.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Fairly sure the next MGS is multi platform, honeslty cant recall where i seen that but its not a Sony IP anymore.

As far as i know MGS 5 would probably be multi platform IF it went into development but if the original 3 were remade they'd be ps3 exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'd love to play MGS3 with a more streamlined camouflage system (like in MGS4).

That or I should stop trying to be invisible every 5 meters :rolleyes:

Master of the Universe

while I agree Kojima did take a chance with making Raiden the main playable character for most of Metal Gear Solid 2, I think it's stupid that people in this thread write off the entire game as a whole just because they weren't playing with a different character model.

You're straw manning this to a degree here. I never said that was the only reason. And it's more than just being a different character model. The style of gameplay felt off to me following on from the original. The first section on the tanker as Snake was absolutely great...it built up my expectations so much..and then it suddenly changed dramatically. What resulted didn't really feel like a Metal Gear Solid game.
    The game itself was fantastic.

No it wasn't. :p
    Everything from the story (Area of contention here but I can follow it fine since I payed attention),

I paid attention too and you know what? the story was absolute pretentious rubbish. I bought it in the first game as some of the bigger concepts were only really hinted at, but it just went all out here and for me, ruined the franchise.
    character development (Raiden especially, Snake seems a bit more one-dimensional in this game for the most part until towards the end),

Really? For me Raiden had no character at all. This is my problem. Snake has a rich history and character, he's almost like a toned down version of Duke Nukem (I say that in the nicest way possible!). You feel like a bit of bad ass playing as him. I didn't get anything from Raiden at all. He seemed like he'd be more suited in a Final Fantasy game.
    gameplay
    soundtrack, boss fights and level design. All just top notch.

I agree with you on some of these, the gameplay was nice (even if it didn't feel like a MGS game - could have been a spin off), as were some of the boss fights and certain areas did feature great level design.

The soundtrack though? Sleezy cheesy saxaphone? No thanks.
    That being said I don't really want to derail the thread and pull it into a Raiden bashing spectacle. Just throwing my two cents in. And to answer the question, YES! I'd love to have all three remade in HD, although with the way the first one was made on the PS1 I don't think it'd make the character models look better at all. I still laugh when I look at how the faces were produced.

It's not a Raiden bashing spectacle. I just find it quite frustrating when people say it 'AM BESTEST GAME EVAR!' when in fact it was very silly story wise, had an annoying lead character and ultimately could have been so much more.

Anyway you're right, derailing to the max here. Sorry OP! To do a HD version of the original, you'd need to redo everything, character models, everything. Or even use the Twin Snakes engine. Part of the character of that game is how everything looks anyway. Silly facial animations? I wouldn't have it any other way! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

MGS 2 was pretty crap from a neutral perspective. Many will enjoy anything with Metal Gear as the title and snake as featured character though.

Good for them.

Advertisement