Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gameathon in aid of The Meningitis Trust

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

ill be reliving 1993 doing that challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Considering all the reccomendations from people here , and that it starts tonight, the lack of donations is quite dissappointing at present.

Ill tune in tonight anyways @ 9 or so and have a look :)

Also, is there a timeline or order as to what games will be being played, So i know if there's a certain game I wanna see gettin done I can check in with relation to what is currently being played.

GL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Yeah I to want to know the timeline and game line-up for the Gameathon.
    So it starts at 9pm tonight? I will donate then!
    Thanks for the bump/reminder SeantheMan!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Im not too worried.

I didn't want to start a spam offensive until near the event. The facebook/email spamming is only starting now. We are supposedly getting this thread on the homepage on boards during the event, so that would get us a huge amount of exposure. It also randomly turns out I am doing a show with one of the founders/editors of thegamingliberty.com and they are going to advertise it on their home page and facebook page.

Regarding the timeline. We havent set out anything yet, but I will be starting on link to the past, then I might move the feed over to jazzy playing Chrono Trigger (I imagine) then move it back to me for cybernator. The group of people playing has grown quite a lot (more on that later) so it could be a bit random.

I will put up a time for Jazzy doing his speed run of Super Metroid as it will definitely be worth watching. I was a witness to his 100% under 3 hours!

If anyone wants to watch anything specific on the list, let me know and we will try and set a time for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Interested in watching A Link to the Past. How long will it take to complete?

I'll tune in for Mario World too.

i'll be donating also.

• Advertisement

quarryman wrote: »
    Interested in watching A Link to the Past. How long will it take to complete?

I'll tune in for Mario World too.

i'll be donating also.

Im aiming for about 3-4 hours. Its not a speed run and I will be doing side stuff like getting all the bottles.

My Mario World speed run will be using star road so it really depends on if/how often I die at the end.

One of the girls has said she will be playing mario and zelda whenever she is around, but im not sure what ones she is talking about yet.

Im probably gonna do Mario 64 on the saturday/sunday. This will probably replace resident evil 2 as I did not get a chance to do a practice run, but we will see.

If anyone wants to watch anything specific on the list, let me know and we will try and set a time for it.

Is it a static camera, or can someone move it about teh room ?

I'd be interested in seeing the setup, introducing the people, see their facial expressions whilst playing (as opposed to just watching a screen) as people do thing they don't realise when playing games and have a look at the general banter going on.
    Maybe you could rotate with regards to cameramen, have someone go around at each hourly interval and give an update/interview or something (and these parts you could record and upload to the site for progress reports)

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Is it a static camera, or can someone move it about teh room ?

I'd be interested in seeing the setup, introducing the people, see their facial expressions whilst playing (as opposed to just watching a screen) as people do thing they don't realise when playing games and have a look at the general banter going on.
    Maybe you could rotate with regards to cameramen, have someone go around at each hourly interval and give an update/interview or something (and these parts you could record and upload to the site for progress reports)

I really like that idea.

We wont have a webcam, just a stream. Im starting to get a bit worried about the bandwidth usage at this stage.

I was going to have everyone take pictures throughout the event and put them up in the gallery on the site. We could take videos (probably just phone quality) and see how it works out. When I meet everyone in a few hours we will sort something out. I will take a few pics of the collections and setup before the event starts.

Rite, so a lot has happened since the last big update. It was originally going to be myself and Jazzy for the whole thing, with a number of people dropping in for a bit every now and then, has turned into about 6-8 people there for the whole thing and god knows how many people dropping in. This is why im a bit worried about the bandwidth, as there could be a number of different online games being played at the same time.

Once I meet everyone I will get a close to complete list of games that will be played.

Also, the stream has been tested and is working!! I will put it on the home page of the site around half 8. This will also have a chat feature, but you will need a ustream account.

The previous charity gaming marathons I had seen were 2-3 people, one game at a time with one screen. They'd take turns playing/sleeping. It was torture towards the end.

This sounds like it's turning more into a bunch of mates playing games rather than an endurance challenge for 2 people doing a tag system, which is what people want to donate to.

Best of luck with it, i'll tune in, but just giving my 2c.

When it was mainly just me and jazzy we were still gonna be playing different games at the same time. Our plan has not changed. Loads more people doesnt really change it as they are doing their own things. We were never going for the 1 game endurance type of thing.

And who is to say we cant have a bit of fun :p

• Advertisement

Here's one that was on in December that i donated to. Just as a reference:

http://6rupees.com/212/game-over-game-over-school/

I donated , not for the quality of toughness of the challenges, but for the fact that it's going to charity and a good cause.

The fact that it may not compare to a degree of another similar challenge should not stop anyone from donating to a worthy cause.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    The fact that it may not compare to a degree of another similar challenge should not stop anyone from donating to a worthy cause.

dead right.

fair play lads and best of luck.

we were talking about doing skies of arcadia.... but just no... there is only so much "ALPHA STOOOOORRRRRRRMMMM" i can take :p

I have been thinking about your point quarryman, and I get you.

There was a game I was going to do but everyone convinced me not to. Mario Sunshine.

Playing the later levels sleep deprived will be a nightmare. Im going to put this high on my list and get to the other games if I have time.

Keep in mind that you can suggest challenges and we will see if we can accommodate them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Just donated.

Wanna see Jazzy battered at SF lads :D

Were off.

You can see who is currently playing on the website.

Having a problem setting up the stream but it should be up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Cool, keep us all posted! Wanna see what I donated for!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

doom want blood stream :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

45 min update courtisy of your friendly neighberhood Wazdakka.

Eóin.--> Playing Wow, (Starting a level 1 Character and seeing how far he can get in one sitting)
    Phil Collins.-->Prince of pearsa, sands of time. (TBC in one sitting)
    Damien.--> Deamon Souls (TBC in one sitting)
    Néill.--> Fable 1 ( All Three TBC in one sitting)
    Wiggs.--> Road rash 2
    Cunning_Alias.-->Zelda link to the past <-- Being streamed live Here
    Jazzy.--> Faffing about
    Wazdakka.--> Regretting having a job and needing to be up early in the morning.

• Advertisement

Stream working great.

Link to the Past, what a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Jazzy... Still faffing about.

i am not!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

appears zelda is finished and mega man is on...:p

ha! hes beside me and hes doing awful he says. i think he underestimated the evil of megaman.

im going strong in crono trigger. there will be a stream of that after... but i dont think watching crono is as good as playing it :o

Stream off air?

quarryman wrote: »
    Stream off air?

yeah :s cunning_alias is sleeping while i hold the fort and he left it on crono trigger before he went.... then i think i did something and cant get it back :/ ill tinker a bit more but it may be beyond my realm of technical experise :(
    all you'll be missing is me pegging it through crono trigger :p aim to have it completed by tonight

Still down.....

Rite, The stream is back up. Cybernator is up next. This is worth even listening to for the savage music.

After Cybernator I will be putting up a bunch of photos.

Cunning Alias:
    Zelda: Link to the past (Complete)
    Megaman X: Last Boss (going back later)
    Mario Sunshine: 10 Shines
    Cybernator: Starting

Postal:
    Wow: lvl 40

Jazzy:
    Chrono Trigger: 50% done

Disco Damo:
    Demons Souls: 5 bosses down

N:
    Fable 1 (Complete)
    Fable 2 (50% done)

The Real Phil Collins:
    Prince of Persia: 50% done

• Advertisement

im more then 50 done i think. time has no meaning to me atm...

Advertisement