Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance

Options
  • 21-01-2011 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi,
    I have recently bought an R32 Nissan Skyline, I am 21 and I am not a boy racer nor do I speed, I always obey the rules of the road, I am not driving the car it is parked at my garage and has 6 months tax and 2 years NCT, I have 3 years no claims bonus and I have 0 penalty points.

I have phoned Quinn direct they have told me that I can insure another car and drive this car as long as it has Valid tax and NCT and that car does not need to be insured by another party, the car must not be in my name and can only be driven with the owners consent. they also told me there is no restrictions on the car (Market price, High Litre, how many miles it can be driven per week) to be covered, Is there any holes in this method That I am missing?

Please let me know

I am currently NOT driving this car
    Any negative assumptions WILL be ignored

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

There is a hole yes, the car your insured in must be your daily driver, the third party extension is not for use to be insured permanently on a different car.

Members of the Gardai have confirmed they are now targeting this loophole and impounding cars that are insured this way but being used as the insureds daily driver.

If you are having trouble getting insurance I recommend you contact the IIF or the insurance ombudsman for guidance rather than trying to abuse a loophole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

What you are doing is called "fronting"... expect the insurance company to cancel your policy when they find out. The Gardai take a dim of this too, they would probably prosecute you for having no insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Paudie_Gtst

draffodx wrote: »
    the car your insured in must be your daily driver, the third party extension is not for use to be insured permanently on a different car.

Where does it say you can't?
    If so what is the definition of "daily driver" how many hours can you drive the car before it is claimed to being permanently used?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thread closed as the original post has been deleted. If you want it reopened PM me and i'll put back the original post. Otherwise it stays closed. Deleting your post isn't on.
    Where does it say you can't?
    If so what is the definition of "daily driver" how many hours can you drive the car before it is claimed to being permanently used?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

What about failure to display insurance disc? Or is that just tax. They can do you for not showing the disc and for not having the tax.

• Advertisement

The car will be insured 3rd party only when you are driving it. If you park it up and get out it's not insured at all, so if it goes on fire etc the "owner" won't have any insurance for it. I believe a car on public road etc must be insured. Driving a high powered car like that with no insurance disc will attract a good deal of attention, especially if you are young. Every checkpoint will be a potential ordeal.

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    What about failure to display insurance disc? Or is that just tax. They can do you for not showing the disc and for not having the tax.

The car is taxed, yes i understand that, but they told me the car does not have to be insured at all?

The car is taxed, yes i understand that, but they told me the car does not have to be insured at all?

They told you you will be insured 3rd party while driving it regardless of it being otherwise insured or not. The car does need to be insured while in a public place, so once you are in it that's fine, park it up and get out and the car is not insured.

Yea it doesn't have to be insured. But as James said checkpoints will take about ages to get through every time.

RoverJames wrote: »
    I believe a car on public road etc must be insured.

Thats what I thought? Why would they say you can drive the car with no insurance on it only NCT and Tax?

• Advertisement

Thats what I thought? Why would they say you can drive the car with no insurance on it only NCT and Tax?

It is insured once it has tax and NCT. Policy from your DD insures it once you are in it.

Because you can :)
    As far as they are concerned while you are driving the car you are insured 3rd party, they don't care that the actual car is not otherwise insured, but the car not being insured when you are not in it is a potential big issue should certain things happen. Regardless of things happening an uninsured vehicle cannot be in a public place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

If you carry the insurance cert around in the skyline at all times you're driving it, you'll be alright. Stick it in place of the insurance disc

Also yes, with Quinn the third party extension allows you to drive any car that has NCT/Tax but is also uninsured. Have used it a few times myself, never had to try explain the situation to a traffic corps member though. Considering how badly educated some of them can be, I'd assume it could be a nightmare.

Considering how badly educated some of them can be, I'd assume it could be a nightmare.

That's a tad narrow minded of you, you mustn't be well educated in respect for others coming out with sh1t like that.

Because you can :)
    As far as they are concerned while you are driving the car you are insured 3rd party, they don't care that the actual car is not otherwise insured, but the car not being insured when you are not in it is a potential big issue should certain things happen. Regardless of things happening an uninsured vehicle cannot be in a public place.

I see, so it would be illegal to park the car in a public place other than my property?

Respect is earned, but that's another arguement.

My point is, I've heard more than enough issues with things when they're black and white, getting into grey areas isn't going to improve things.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The car will be insured 3rd party only when you are driving it. If you park it up and get out it's not insured at all, so if it goes on fire etc the "owner" won't have any insurance for it. I believe a car on public road etc must be insured. Driving a high powered car like that with no insurance disc will attract a good deal of attention, especially if you are young. Every checkpoint will be a potential ordeal.

Just being curious here, but given that the third party cover is to insure the driver who does not own the car, would the fire/theft/third party element of the owner not apply when the car was parked up and not being driven by a non owner? Genuinely being curious, not having a swipe at you at all :)

I see, so it would be illegal to park the car in a public place other than my property?

Yep. Also strictly speaking when you go to a service station to pay for petrol etc the car will also be uninsured while you are out of it.

Stheno wrote: »
    Just being curious here, but given that the third party cover is to insure the driver who does not own the car, would the fire/theft/third party element of the owner not apply when the car was parked up and not being driven by a non owner? Genuinely being curious, not having a swipe at you at all :)

We're discussing a situation where the car is NOT insured by it's owner, so there is no actual insurance policy associated with the car :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

We're discussing a situation where the car is NOT insured by it's owner, so there is no actual insurance policy associated with the car :)

DUH! Had a brainfart reading the OP :)

Thanks for that!

• Advertisement

:D

What the Garda hater said :pac:

Yep. Also strictly speaking when you go to a service station to pay for petrol etc the car will also be uninsured while you are out of it.

So if god forbid a crash occurred in a public place in which my parked car was hit by another car, could the owner be prosecuted due to the car being illegally parked uninsured?

And would the penalty for having a car parked with no insurance in a public place be as much as driving with no insurance?

The only situation you could feasibly be confident of that being ok would be if you were to pick up a new car prior to transfer of ownership and drive it straight home?

Certainly wouldn't apply day to day unless you never parked in a public place.

Never knew that scenario existed ref the sort of cover being discussed, amazing what you can learn on here :)

So if god forbid a crash occurred in a public place in which my parked car was hit by another car, could the owner be prosecuted due to the car being illegally parked uninsured?

From what the lads are saying yes. Even worse, imagine if you forgot to put the handbrake on, or it suffered a failure and you damaged another car!
    And would the penalty for having a car parked with no insurance in a public place be as much as driving with no insurance?

Yep the car is on a public road/area with no insurance. (IMO)

Just make sure wherever you're driving to/from has a multistory garage or private car park... :p

edit: also, on a side-note, it's possibly worth a mention that with third party extension, your OWN car that is insured cannot be being driven at the same time. An example being, you and your mate cannot jump into eachothers cars for a bit...

I dunno, the car was in a public place uninsured so I would think yes. I don't know what the penalties would be. Wouldn't be as bad as actually driving without insurance anyway. Wouldn't like to be the owner if the car went on fire while parked up.

I dunno, the car was in a public place uninsured so I would think yes. I don't know what the penalties would be. Wouldn't be as bad as actually driving without insurance anyway. Wouldn't like to be the owner if the car went on fire while parked up.

Going by the posts on here where people get done for parking in a public place with no tax, and face the same penalties, potentially it might be the same?

And just imagine the guard having a bad day who spots said uninsured car, and decides to lie in wait! Or use the CCTV to lie in wait!

Stheno wrote: »
    The only situation you could feasibly be confident of that being ok would be if you were to pick up a new car prior to transfer of ownership and drive it straight home?

Do you mean get another car? (Apologies if I read you wrong)

If I could have the owner of the car to insure the skyline themselves would this bypass the illegally parked car issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

im lost!

will quinn not insure you on the skyline?

• Advertisement

If I could have the owner of the car to insure the skyline themselves would this bypass the illegally parked car issue?

Yep.
    But if they have another car it may cost a fair few €€€s.

Of course, as you have bought the car and are the owner and will only be transferring ownership to enable you to drive it using your 3rd party extension facility of your own insurance policy it is more or less fraud.
    (let the games begin)

Advertisement