Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist killed (but not dangerously)

Options
  • 21-01-2011 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭

Following on from the recently obliterated thread (for good legal reasons!)

"But Judge Moran also advised the jury the defence case had showed three key elements to prove a charge of dangerous driving were absent — drink, defective vehicle and speed."
    Examiner

It would appear that making risky manoeuvres despite only a few half hours practice in the local GAA car park is not dangerous. So reading between the lines here, acting like a chimp in control of a vehicle is not dangerous driving in Ireland, and those damn cyclists should stay off the road...

I would say speed was present - he couldn't safely stop in the amount of road that he could see.

Very sad for the family involved, the "not guilty of dangerous driving" for the driver implies that the woman out for a cycle was somehow in the wrong. Adds insult to the loss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

"But Judge Moran also advised the jury the defence case had showed three key elements to prove a charge of dangerous driving were absent — drink, defective vehicle and speed."

That is possibly the most retarded thing I've ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Sounds insane from the way they've put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ccmp

Crazy call.

Now, I don't know whether the "2007" aspect makes this redundant, but...
    Dangerous driving.

53.— (1) A person shall not drive a vehicle in a public place in a manner (including speed) which having regard to all the circumstances of the case (including the condition of the vehicle, the nature, condition and use of the place and the amount of traffic which then actually is or might reasonably be expected then to be in it) is or is likely to be dangerous to the public.

(2) A person who contravenes subsection (1) commits an offence and—

(a) in case the contravention causes death or serious bodily harm to another person, he or she is liable on conviction on indictment to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years or to a fine not exceeding €20,000 or to both, and

(b) in any other case, he or she is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding €5,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to both.

(3) In a prosecution for an offence under this section or section 52, it is not a defence to show that the speed at which the accused person was driving was not in excess of a speed limit applying in relation to the vehicle or the road, whichever is the lower, under Part 2 of the Road Traffic Act 2004 .

(4) Where, when a person is tried on indictment or summarily for an offence under this section, the jury, or, in the case of a summary trial, the District Court, is of the opinion that he or she had not committed an offence under this section but had committed an offence under section 52, the jury or court may find him or her guilty of an offence under section 52, and he or she may be sentenced accordingly.

From here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Sickening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Very sad, it seems the law really is an ass in almost any case where someone (cyclist/pedestrian/driver) was going about their business as usual then next minute blown out of it by a reckless/incompetent/inattentive/etc driver.

Unfortunately part of the problem is that driving is seen as a right, not an entitlement to be earned and maintained by always driving responsibly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Am I right in saying, he's just walked away scott free? Well that's a real deterrent for other learner drivers to always drive accompanied :rolleyes:

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

I notice the judge has a very suitable surname for such a verdict , absolutely shocking . We've all been in this situation , opposite side of the road when a vehicle overtakes blatantly disregarding our presence , missing us by a matter of feet . Disgraceful decision , but the way this country is run at the minute is it really surprising that the judicial system is also corrupt to the core as well ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

Am I right in saying, he's just walked away scott free? Well that's a real deterrent for other learner drivers to always drive accompanied :rolleyes:
    Yep. A jury of his peers acquited him based on the evidence that was presented. Welcome to the Irish Legal System.
    Deisetrek wrote:
    Disgraceful decision , but the way this country is run at the minute is it really surprising that the judicial system is also corrupt to the core as well ?

Well in fairness it was the juries decision. Perhaps if you don't have confidence in your peers, you should propose a new judicial system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Hard to believe, but certainly within the realms of possibility unfortunately. If anyone comes across a suggestion that this will be retried with a less serious charge then mods should zap this thread too perhaps? It wasn't even charged at the more serious level of "dangerous driving causing death" was it, just dangerous driving?

• Advertisement

ILA wrote: »
    Yep. A jury of his peers acquited him based on the evidence that was presented. Welcome to the Irish Legal System.

Well in fairness it was the juries decision. Perhaps if you don't have confidence in your peers, you should propose a new judicial system?

No, the judge steered the jury towards the verdict. That's normal.

What I don't understand is why. His comments as reported defy all sense, and seem to directly contradict the current law I quoted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

It is sickening that our legal process is so utterly ineffective. It's also sickening that we have unprepared learner drivers being unleashed on our roads, each one in command of what is effectively a deadly weapon.

There is a systemic failure in our driver education system- the sooner we have obligatory minimum hours of driving lessons and a basic competence pre-test off-road before a learner is even allowed drive on the road, the better.

There also need to be enforced severe sanctions for learner drivers who drive unaccompanied.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Lumen, I don't know if that section of the 2010 Act has been enacted yet. However, the wording of that section hasn't changed from the previous Act.

Definitely seems like a ridiculous call from the judge. The guy drove without due regard for the traffic which which was on the road at the time. A clear case of dangerous driving according to the road traffic act.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

A learner's permit is not a driving licence. You are not allowed to drive with it, you are supposed to use it to learn accompanied of a full licence holder. This man should not have been driving in the 1st place. He could have been a 16 years old, what would have happened then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Just to put up a counter argument here...I was young and stupid once, driving since I was 18 etc..

He acted stupidly no doubt and with a terrible outcome, something he will have to live with forever. But what good will come of sending him to prison?

He overtook a slow moving vehicle, he wasn't speeding, he wasn't drunk. How visable was the cyclist? Every night I see ninjas out, dressed in black, no lights, not even a magical high-viz vest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

mloc123 wrote: »
    Just to put up a counter argument here...I was young and stupid once, driving since I was 18 etc..

He acted stupidly no doubt and with a terrible outcome, something he will have to live with forever. But what good will come of sending him to prison?

He overtook a slow moving vehicle, he wasn't speeding, he wasn't drunk. How visable was the cyclist? Every night I see ninjas out, dressed in black, no lights, not even a magical high-viz vest.

True. The only good that might come from this is we might see some actual enforcement of the provisional license rules and requirements for a minimum number of hours driving under instruction before being allowed to take your test. Far too many learner drivers just take off their L plates and start driving, I mean there is zero enforcement. In 10 years driving I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have been stopped and asked to present my license.

"I need it for a job" is not an excuse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Because not sending him to prison has sent a message to all learner drivers that nothing will happen you if you have an accident. It has also set a precedent in law so no one else will get done for this either.

It was daylight, so ninja theory is out.

Lumen wrote: »
    No, the judge steered the jury towards the verdict. That's normal.

What I don't understand is why. His comments as reported defy all sense, and seem to directly contradict the current law I quoted above.

The law can't be applied retrospectively, thats one thing I always took out of my lectures.

It's just a bad situation, which happened due to the laughable enforcement of the road traffic legislation, a absolute lack of driver training, and the fact that someone thought after a few hours practice they could overtake a vehicle.

I know when I started out with my few hours practice, there was no way I would consider driving on the road, and certainly wouldn't dream of overtaking.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    True. The only good that might come from this is we might see some actual enforcement of the provisional license rules and requirements for a minimum number of hours driving under instruction before being allowed to take your test.
    Dream on, I'm afraid.

It was daylight, so ninja theory is out.

6.50am? I was out at 6.50 this morning, pitch dark. Even in the summer its 'muggy' at that time.
    Edit: http://www.galway.net/about/daylight.html, August at 6.50 would be dawn and visability would be poor IMO

The provisional licence mess has gone on for years. The fact you drive to your test with a L plate on and 30 minutes later you are magically transformed into a safe driver is nonsense too... but thats what it is.

Also, was he on a first or second licence? It was 2007, he may well have had his second licence from 2005 where it would have fallen under the old 'no supervision' on a second rule?

Point is, we don't know all the facts.

• Advertisement

ILA wrote: »
    The law can't be applied retrospectively, thats one thing I always took out of my lectures.

Seamus indicated above that the wording of the law has not changed w.r.t dangerous driving.

That's an issue for sentencing, not verdict.

The point is, a badly driven car is a dangerous thing. You'd think judging by the recent fuss over mandatory lessons that driving was a human right. It isn't. If you can't do it responsibly, don't do it at all.

I also drove like an arse when I was younger, but if I killed someone I'd still expect to go to jail.

Obviously we only have two newspaper reports to go on, so this all at face value.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Was you man allowed to drive during these 4 years before the trial? Was he allowed to sit his exam?
    Would a learner doctor who accidentally kills a patient by admistering regulated drugs, on his own to a patient when he's not allowed to practice medicine yet get away with it? I know it's a far fetched comparison ....

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    True. The only good that might come from this is we might see some actual enforcement of the provisional license rules.... Far too many learner drivers just take off their L plates and start driving, I mean there is zero enforcement.

"The only good that might come from this is we might see some actual enforcement of the bike light rules... far too many cyclists just do not cycle with lights and there is zero enforcement."

Just offering a counter point, just because we all cycle do not presume the cyclist is always right and the driver is always wrong etc..

6.50am? I was out at 6.50 this morning, pitch dark. Even in the summer its 'muggy' at that time.
    Edit: http://www.galway.net/about/daylight.html, August at 6.50 would be dawn and visability would be poor IMO

We did this in the deleted thread yesterday. It wasn't dawn, it was 30-45 minutes after sunrise, so broad daylight.

Besides which, safe driving means driving to the conditions. When driving is not safe, it's dangerous. If you can't see clearly, don't overtake.

The provisional licence mess has gone on for years. The fact you drive to your test with a L plate on and 30 minutes later you are magically transformed into a safe driver is nonsense too... but thats what it is.

Also, was he on a first or second licence? It was 2007, he may well have had his second licence from 2005 where it would have fallen under the old 'no supervision' on a second rule?

Point is, we don't know all the facts.

It had been daylight for 30-40mins

We are transformed into safe drivers before our tests, not everyone on an L plate is unsafe. The test proves that we are competent drivers.

He got his first learner permit a few weeks before.

The point is, a badly driven car is a dangerous thing. You'd think judging by the recent fuss over mandatory lessons that driving was a human right. It isn't. If you can't do it responsibly, don't do it at all.

My point is, who is to say the car was badly driven? We don't know both sides of the story.

My point is, who is to say the car was badly driven? We don't know both sides of the story.

I think the point is, it shouldn't have been driven at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would say that a car crashing into oncoming traffic has been badly driven.

It's an easy thing to avoid doing.

No, we don't. However, the judges comments as reported suggest that the if you're not speeding or drinking and your vehicle is well-maintained, any deaths you cause by inept driving are not your fault.

Which is utterly indefensible horseshít, even ignoring the fact that he wasn't accompanied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

No, we don't. However, the judges comments as reported suggest that the if you're not speeding or drinking and your vehicle is well-maintained, any deaths you cause by inept driving are not your fault.

Which is utterly indefensible horseshít, even ignoring the fact that he wasn't accompanied.

Absolutely. The lesson here is clear. You can make any sort of dangerous or ill-judged manoeuvre in a car and kill someone as long as you're not drunk, speeding or have a defective vehicle and the victim is a cyclist.

By this standard, the lunatic bus driver who tried to kill me the other day would probably have gotten off scot-free if he'd succeeded.

Advertisement