Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: Irish In Calgary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Hey James,

Thanks for all the information. I was expecting upwards of $2000 a month if we wanted the den / extra room but thanks for clearing it up. Probably will be needed and can take that off travel to work expenses etc. When searching on the websites should i just put in "Downtown" or what would you consider downtown in the city in terms of regions or places?

Do you not find renting a car hugely expensive each time or is there discount / cheaper models where its much for a much? Ill check out the prepaid phone plans thanks. I might get a work phone which might help but its yet to be confirmed.

Thanks for the offer to answer the questions as well. Good to have someone that has lived through it. I guess my biggest question to you would be do you like the city? Do you think you are going to stay long term or just to make money then leave? How have you found the winters? Are they an experience that cant really be explained or not as bad as they can be made out to be?

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 JamesTC

Mark,

In and around a $2000 budget should get you what you want, obviously you can pay more than that but that gives you a good option, I know in my building (Condo development, downtown) its $2095 for a 2 bed+den for example.
    When searching on rentfaster you can search by proximity and select downtown or city hall and within 1km. On kijiji under real estate, apartments/condos in Calgary you can filter by distance.

In terms of what is considered downtown I would say 8th Avenue (Stephens Avenue) is the center and you could go 10 Avenues north or south of that (18th Avenue South and 2nd Avenue North) and about the same in Streets East and West from center street, but that would just be my own definition, don't know what is considered to be downtown. Just to note that Calgary like a lot of North American Cities is laid out on a grid pattern, with Avenues running North to South (the Bow River is the divide between north and south) and Streets run East to West.

I have only rented a car 3 times but fond it to be quite reasonable, went for the standard Chevrolet somethingorother or Ford Falcon or whatever else they had in stock, grand for what I wanted which was to get me down to Banff/Lake Louise for a weekend, once you are 25 or older and just having yourself insured there is no extra loading on price. You can rent from a few places downtown so no need to be going out to the airport which is handy.

Well I have not lived in any of the other Cities in Canada but yes I like Calgary, I came here for work and got a good job straight away and just fitted everything else in around that, I have permanent residency so I can stay as long as I want, would be happy to stay here for now and don't plan on moving anywhere else in Canada but I see myself moving back home in the next 5 to 10 years.

The winters are cold, -30c is not unusual, and long, winter is October to April, lots of snow (can snow any time of the year) but manageable, the only thing I still find hard is the dryness of the place, now this is good when it is cold as it does not feel as cold (-5 at home feels way colder than -15 here because of the humidity) but it's just your skin, eyes and nose always feel dry, lots of static shocks too.

Can't say anything is really bad, the first move is hard, short term accommodation is expansive and living out of suitcase is not nice, only being able to move in at the start of the month puts you on a deadline to find the right place or else it's another month of short term renting at sky high prices (hotels are no better) and when you move in you don't even have a bed to sleep in so the first few months can be costly even with the help of Ikea and Kijiji (in case you don't know already kijiji is like a local ebay, everything can be bought from there, some free stuff too, always worth checking out)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

JamesTC wrote: »

Phone: Better off not getting a contract whoever you go with, better value in prepaid plans, bit of a rip off all round though, for coverage the big 3 (TELUS, Rogers & Bell) would have you covered but are more expensive, the others have good plans but check there coverage and roaming rates

Prepaid plans are terrible here. You pay to send AND receive texts and it's an absolute rip off. Better off bringing your own phone and going on a month to month plan. Good advice otherwise. :P

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »
    Prepaid plans are terrible here. You pay to send AND receive texts and it's an absolute rip off. Better off bringing your own phone and going on a month to month plan. Good advice otherwise. :P

Not necessarily, any decent pre paid plan includes incoming texts, voice messages and a set amount of minuets and data, the data being the only real difference in the plans, without a data plan you are looking at $25 a month to cover texts and calls, include (a pretty crappy it has to be said) 250MB of data and it is $40 a month, still way better than the standard $75 a month (no better data allowance) on contract, paying month to month can be better but it depends on how you use the phone. I can fit all I need within a $40 pre paid plan (use wifi most of the time to stay within the 250mb)

The issue with bringing your own phone from Ireland is that the LTE (or 4G) won't work here, different frequencies, so 3G is the best speed you can get now that is fine for when you first move, I did it myself but eventually you want decent speeds when out and about without wifi.

As I said in my original post all things phones are a rip off whichever way you look at it

Pre paid plans must've changed a lot since I last checked. I found it to be extortionate.

I get a decent month by month plan for $50 (+ tax) with 1 GB data on the LTE network. Unlimited local calls, 500 minutes long distance calls, unlimited SMS and MMS (international included) and 1 GB data.

• Advertisement

I like the sound of the data allowance, which network are you on?

JamesTC wrote: »
    I like the sound of the data allowance, which network are you on?

I'm with Fido.

Hey James. Thanks again for that information. Sorry for the late reply had a manic weekend had a lot of paper work and documents to get through.. Spent a bit of time researching and there are some nice buildings out there.. People say that accom gets snapped up really fast and that if possible i should try have something organised before going out as i dont want to be in short term accom to long.

Looking at SW just outside the Downtown area as an option. Spruce Grove / Road seems to have 3 good apartment buildings that look nice and overlooking Shaganappi part and a few minutes from a mall / walmart and the IRT station. Overall about 10-15 mins from downtown. Might be more ideal if i am going to be driving around to not be based in the heart of downtown but both have their merits.

Would you say it is worthwhile contacting specific buildings if we like the look of them but cant find any rooms available would they know if there is anything coming up and do they actually look after alot of the lettings on behalf of the owners? Whats the name of your building if you dont mind saying James?

Also thanks for the phone info El Diablo will check out Fido. I like the international calls part. If im lucky however i might get a work phone which would be a huge saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Durag

Hoping to end up in Calgary myself but i didnt think rents would be that expensive.

I dont mind been a bit outside downtown (be nice to be withing walking distance - i currently live about a 20 minute walk to Sligo town and dont mind it) i just dont want to be ripped off for a tiny apartment - condo. It would be just me and my girlfriend so a condo with one bedroom / kitchen + living area would be fine.

What areas outside downtown are good i.e. safe + cheap accommodation?

Any good recommendations of sites to find accommodation?

One other question, we were hoping to come over in June / July, but its looking like September now, in terms of weather are we entering into about 4-5 months of cold and snow? Or is it a bit over exaggerated and September / October not that bad?

• Advertisement

Hey Durag,

They arent all that expensive but that was within the budget that i was looking to spend. As im going to be remotely working I didnt mind paying a bit more per month for an additional room or den as the way i see it i wont have travel to work expenses :)

NW sounds like it would be a good option for you but depends how much you want to spend. You would get a nice 2 bed place about 15-20 mins outside downtown for about $1500~ id say. Check on rentfaster or Kijiji and search in the NW areas. SW is also a good option but iv never been just the general advice iv been given and it lines up nicely with the little research iv done. There is a good Facebook group called "Irish In Calgary" load of great people there giving advice.

Durag wrote: »
    One other question, we were hoping to come over in June / July, but its looking like September now, in terms of weather are we entering into about 4-5 months of cold and snow? Or is it a bit over exaggerated and September / October not that bad?

From what i have read you should be ok for September and possibly some of October but im sure the other guys will let you know. What i have been told is that Calgary is just coming out one of the worst winters they have had in a long time. Good 6-7 months.

MarkJD wrote: »
    Hey Durag,

They arent all that expensive but that was within the budget that i was looking to spend. As im going to be remotely working I didnt mind paying a bit more per month for an additional room or den as the way i see it i wont have travel to work expenses :)

NW sounds like it would be a good option for you but depends how much you want to spend. You would get a nice 2 bed place about 15-20 mins outside downtown for about $1500~ id say. Check on rentfaster or Kijiji and search in the NW areas. SW is also a good option but iv never been just the general advice iv been given and it lines up nicely with the little research iv done. There is a good Facebook group called "Irish In Calgary" load of great people there giving advice.

Thanks for the advice, yes ill definitely check out those places. i would love to live somewhere downtown but i want to make money while i am there as well. I suppose i will see what kind of work is available and make my mind up then.

From what i have read you should be ok for September and possibly some of October but im sure the other guys will let you know. What i have been told is that Calgary is just coming out one of the worst winters they have had in a long time. Good 6-7 months.

6-7 months of winter?! Damn, that is long... A holiday to Mexico before i go to Canada is sounding even more appealing after hearing that before hearing that

Hey James. Thanks again for that information. Sorry for the late reply had a manic weekend had a lot of paper work and documents to get through.. Spent a bit of time researching and there are some nice buildings out there.. People say that accom gets snapped up really fast and that if possible i should try have something organised before going out as i dont want to be in short term accom to long.

Looking at SW just outside the Downtown area as an option. Spruce Grove / Road seems to have 3 good apartment buildings that look nice and overlooking Shaganappi part and a few minutes from a mall / walmart and the IRT station. Overall about 10-15 mins from downtown. Might be more ideal if i am going to be driving around to not be based in the heart of downtown but both have their merits.

Would you say it is worthwhile contacting specific buildings if we like the look of them but cant find any rooms available would they know if there is anything coming up and do they actually look after alot of the lettings on behalf of the owners? Whats the name of your building if you dont mind saying James?

Also thanks for the phone info El Diablo will check out Fido. I like the international calls part. If im lucky however i might get a work phone which would be a huge saving.

Mark,

No harm in having a shortlist and maybe have viewing arranged, but I would not be getting a place based on a few pictures on a website, saw some real dumps that looked good on the website but not in real life, not cheap places either.

My building (there is two towers) is called Riverfront Pointe. If they are available chances are they are on Kijiji as its free to advertise on.

Cheers ill try check it out. If we find a building we like do you think there is much point contact them about rentals? Is the building management etc involved much in that side of things?

Cheers ill try check it out. If we find a building we like do you think there is much point contact them about rentals? Is the building management etc involved much in that side of things?

For condos probably not, as I said most of the condos are owner occupier so the management company would only talk to the owners, if they are looking to rent the owner would advertise it on the usual websites and as a tenant you would have no contact with the management company even after you move in.

For buildings that are entirely owned by rental companies (mostly the older buildings) then yes you can contact them and see what they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Absolutely right. I'm slightly further north in Edmonton and it has been a terrible winter - We were still getting some snowstorms in early May.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭pilgrim pat

Hi did you lads get your jobs before you moved to Canada ?

I didn't, but I sent my CV to every office in my industry in the city, when I arrived I got my Social Insurance number and called in to each of the offices I had sent my CV to, did a few interviews and got a my job within a week.

You can contact employers and maybe do a Skype interview but I think most will want to do a face to face interview. Depends on what industry you are working in really

• Advertisement

Hey. I have. im getting a promotion and a move with work so kind of working out the best of both worlds for me. The wife doesnt though and will be looking. Seems like there is plenty of opportunity in Calgary at the moment though. You should check out the Irish In Calgary Facebook page. Really good. James also has given me some good advice so far. Good luck with your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

Montanas out by the cinema near Sunridge do the best ribs. The steaks are pretty good too. Also the Cat 'n Fiddle on 16th Ave NE does a good burger.
    There is a Chinese restaurant / take away on 16th further east near Denny's (around 19th street) is pretty good. I'll find out the name of it tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

Phoenix wrote: »
    Speaking of burgers is peters really that good?I have Canadian friends that rave about it!

I haven't tried it yet but the line outside on a sunny day makes me think it must be good. I've read reviews saying they're not as good as they used to be but are still good.

Right now sitting in Tim Horton's on the corner of 5th av & 6th st.

Hope I find a room before Friday, otherwise I'm our in a tent! :O

Have you checked on the Irish in Calgary facebook page? There is often people putting up houses with rooms for rent etc.

Right now sitting in Tim Horton's on the corner of 5th av & 6th st.

Hope I find a room before Friday, otherwise I'm our in a tent! :O

www.kijiji.ca

or

www.rentfaster.ca are your friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mossy14

Have you checked on the Irish in Calgary facebook page? There is often people putting up houses with rooms for rent etc.

How do you get into this group? When I tried it said something about membership being closed.

Advertisement