Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nutcracker

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

And a stunning bird it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

:D:D So who has seen the Birdwatch Ireland facebook whoami today? :D

For the record from me, and for the benefit of the OP and... well everyone really, I'd just like to say that there's nothing wrong with getting it wrong sometimes. I can say that easily since it happens to me on an almost daily basis :p

Anyway.... now we all know what a nutcracker looks like (and doesn't look like), we also know that we're not likely to see one in Ireland, we also know what a partial albino blackbird looks like and that there is one in UCD. I've never seen one myself. So the whole journey of this thread has been informative and got people thinking and looking and that's never a bad thing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭TM RACING

Hi, me again. Sorry I have been of the radar for so long. I saw the picture and now I realise that what I saw was not a Nutcracker:o. It was of course the pictured albino blackbird. I regret causing so much hype over nothing, you see if I had known they were so rare I would have taught twice before posting it. Well at least I now know what a Nutcracker does look like and what an albino balckbird does. Appologies again, Tm Racing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

TM RACING wrote: »
    Hi, me again. Sorry I have been of the radar for so long. I saw the picture and now I realise that what I saw was not a Nutcracker:o. It was of course the pictured albino blackbird. I regret causing so much hype over nothing, you see if I had known they were so rare I would have taught twice before posting it. Well at least I now know what a Nutcracker does look like and what an albino balckbird does. Appologies again, Tm Racing.

Many years ago I was travelling through Tyrone with some birders from England. One of them insisted he had seen a Green Woodpecker (of course he hadn't) but his comment afterwards was: "If I'd known you didn't have any here I certainly would not have thought I saw one". Sums it up for me. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 tomahawk101

Please read the posts. People made it clear the sighting was improbable and gave reasons for it. He wasn't shot down as such, but the air was slowly released from the balloon.

As for Snowy Owls, Osprey etc. These are not classed as Mega birds here and I have see each on several occasions. Escapees are a different story and don't count as vagrants.

I agree it was improbable from the start and have to agree it was also unlikely. I again state the fact that a belted kingfisher was shot here on probably it's first and only visit by a narrow minded person. All i wanted to say was that wouldn't it have been nice if it had been true and it is always a possibility that a nutcracker can visit Ireland at any time, now or in the future. Egrets visited and have since become one of our own.
    I never mentioned "Mega Birds".. I wouldn't.
    I have no doubt you have "see" Snowy owls and ospreys on many occasions.
    Israel Tangy Cuttlefish...Please re-read my original post with kinder eyes.
    Thanks, Tom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No problem Tom. I probably read your post in a tone other than the one you wrote it in. Likewise my tone, I fear, was not the one you read my reply with. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

That blackbird which appears to have caused the confusion has been around for three years at least. I am surprised he has lasted this long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

boneless wrote: »
    That blackbird which appears to have caused the confusion has been around for three years at least. I am surprised he has lasted this long!
    I'm going in tomorrow to try and catch him for my garden, the little beauty.

Advertisement