Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog won't eat dry food

Options
2»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

To be honest, I dont see how one can claim that all dry dog foods are bad without pausing to consider what might be in the food you are feeding. There are a lot of growth hormones being given to farm animals nowadays, which your dog may in turn be eating from the meat you are giving it. So unless you feed completely organic meat, you can never be sure.
    I feed dry food only, a completely natural brand with absolutely no preservatives or additives, or chemicals in it and I'm perfectly happy with it. And I have studied canine and feline nutrition so I know that my dog is getting everything he needs. And yes, dogs were fed table scraps many generations ago, yet you cannot say that those dogs are the same as the ones of today. As far as i can see, the dogs of today are in no way as hardy.

Anywho, like AJ said, getting off topic. OP, any luck getting the dog to eat yet? Though I wont blame you if you haven't read this far into the thread:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Shanao wrote: »
    To be honest, I dont see how one can claim that all dry dog foods are bad without pausing to consider what might be in the food you are feeding. There are a lot of growth hormones being given to farm animals nowadays, which your dog may in turn be eating from the meat you are giving it. So unless you feed completely organic meat, you can never be sure.
    I feed dry food only, a completely natural brand with absolutely no preservatives or additives, or chemicals in it and I'm perfectly happy with it. And I have studied canine and feline nutrition so I know that my dog is getting everything he needs. And yes, dogs were fed table scraps many generations ago, yet you cannot say that those dogs are the same as the ones of today. As far as i can see, the dogs of today are in no way as hardy.

Anywho, like AJ said, getting off topic. OP, any luck getting the dog to eat yet? Though I wont blame you if you haven't read this far into the thread:D

Ditto to your last comment! But can I ask what food you are giving your dogs. I would really appreciate a brand name. Thanks:)

I'm feeding my guy a food called Real Nature. It has Black angus beef, Barbary duck and Atlantic herring and like i said, no preservatives.

Thanks for that - can I ask where you get it and is it very expensive - compared to Royal Canin, which my two are on?

I get it from Maxi Zoo. Pricewise, it is 50cent dearer than the royal canin but you feed less of it so it works out cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jets799

try burns dog food and nothing else....
    i allways say if thay are hungry thay will eat...
    only leave the food down for 20min twice a day and within the week he will be eating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

I have adopted and fostered rescued dogs cats too. First dont leave the food out all day, give him the food and if not eaten within 20 mins say then take it back until later. How often are you feeding. Alot of rescues may only of fed once a day and if you are feeding more fact is he may just be full. did the rescue not inform you what diet he was on, its highly unlikely he was on anything but dry food. Aldi dog food is pretty good it has a lower protein content than most and so good nutrients and less pooping. Anything higher than 20percent could have your dog bonceing off walls depending on its breed and how active it is... He will be used to routine and so if you keep doing this he will soon realise this is it. He is only settling too, he may of gulped it all down cos he was stresed and doesnt know if you will feed him again later... once he is used to you and the routine he should be ok for you.

All the best and well done for adopting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pageturner

LadyBliss..the frozen food name is Natures Menu. We are in West Cork and get it online from Food for Pets.They have a delivery service. Sometimes, we get it from Sullys in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

OP back again. Thought we had a breakthrough the other day. He wolfed down a mixture of one can of pedigree & 300g of dry for two days in a row. Literally inhaled it. Tonight though he barely touched it.

Back to square one :/

God love you! I know how it feels! Keep the patience going:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Just stick with it, you need to keep the routine going, if you change it now, he realises you give in too easy and change it to suit him.

You need to be tough and stick with it and he will realise its all he gets. Dont give in now and change and give him something different as he knows he can get around you then if he stops eating.
    Offer him exactly what you have been the last 2 days at every mealtime, if he doesnt eat, then tough, he gets nothing until next meal.

Advertisement