Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accomodation Query From A 6th Year Student.

Options
  • 19-01-2011 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭

Hey! I've posted in the accom thread but it's pretty dead (I think it just gets missed because it's stickied at the top.). I hope the mods don't mind this, if you do feel free to delete it! But yeah anyway, I'm going to be going to Cork on my own, so I need to live in a student complex. Most of them are opening for bookings this month and next, so I'd like to get it over and done with.

Castlewhite is the only affordable accom on campus, but I hear it's terrible accom. So does anyone have any reccomendations? Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Serbitar

I'm in Castlewhite at the moment, and it's not terrible, but its not great. It's literally a 2 or 3 minute walk from campus so being able to leave at 8:57 and still be on time is a huge plus.

You also have to be willing to retreat to your room every now and then because the kitchen will have more than likely have been ransacked the night before by your housemates and whatever randomers they bring back, and I don't know about you, but I have a 'No cleaning up after idiots' policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭funki_munkee

Well Castlewhite is the closest to college but there are loads of other places to stay nearby and are all similar in price (Between 4,000-5,000 for the year) so I wouldnt limit yourself to Castlewhite! Victoria Mills, University Hall, The Village, Victoria Lodge and Farrenlea Hall are all in roughly the same area as each other and are about 15 mins walk from college. They are also near to the gym,a shop with an off licence, bus stops to get in and out of town and there are loads of other students around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Serbitar wrote: »
    I'm in Castlewhite at the moment, and it's not terrible, but its not great. It's literally a 2 or 3 minute walk from campus so being able to leave at 8:57 and still be on time is a huge plus.

You also have to be willing to retreat to your room every now and then because the kitchen will have more than likely have been ransacked the night before by your housemates and whatever randomers they bring back, and I don't know about you, but I have a 'No cleaning up after idiots' policy.

Thanks! :) Is it true that 6 people have to share a bathroom in Castlewhite? :eek:
    Well Castlewhite is the closest to college but there are loads of other places to stay nearby and are all similar in price (Between 4,000-5,000 for the year) so I wouldnt limit yourself to Castlewhite! Victoria Mills, University Hall, The Village, Victoria Lodge and Farrenlea Hall are all in roughly the same area as each other and are about 15 mins walk from college. They are also near to the gym,a shop with an off licence, bus stops to get in and out of town and there are loads of other students around!

Thanks! :) Yeah I was looking into The Village, it seems like the best off campus student accom!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Thanks! :) Is it true that 6 people have to share a bathroom in Castlewhite? :eek:

I only know of a 3 person apartment who share the one toilet and shower in Castlewhite. Sink in each bedroom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Victoria Lodge is good, rooms are good, apartments are spacious, all en suite bathrooms and they are comfortable. As Serbitar said about Castlewhite about room retreating, it also happens here in Vic Lodge. :p It's nice here though, close to a Subway and Centra and a Tesco Express. 10 to 15 minute walk from UCC as well. Worth the walk for the comfort like. and Vic Lodge is ALWAYS full of craic :D

• Advertisement

Victoria Lodge is good, rooms are good, apartments are spacious, all en suite bathrooms and they are comfortable. As Serbitar said about Castlewhite about room retreating, it also happens here in Vic Lodge. :p It's nice here though, close to a Subway and Centra and a Tesco Express. 10 to 15 minute walk from UCC as well. Worth the walk for the comfort like. and Vic Lodge is ALWAYS full of craic :D

I heard the fire alarms go off every night there.. is that true? :P

I heard the fire alarms go off every night there.. is that true? :P

Every night is exaggeration :p First few weeks yea they go off like crazy but you get used to them. We went a full month without them going off here and when it does happen it can be quite funny watching 4 fire brigades stroll in this tiny gate. :p

Every night is exaggeration :p First few weeks yea they go off like crazy but you get used to them. We went a full month without them going off here and when it does happen it can be quite funny watching 4 fire brigades stroll in this tiny gate. :p

Oh :pac: I'll look in to there so too! :P I'm thinking of Brookefield too, got recommended there!

Oh :pac: I'll look in to there so too! :P I'm thinking of Brookefield too, got recommended there!

Brookfield...think Castlewhite only bigger :D and messier :D Victoria Lodge is class and Gregg (Manager) is dead on and always around for help. and the place has security and is locked at night with gate codes so it's safe :D

Brookfield...think Castlewhite only bigger :D and messier :D Victoria Lodge is class and Gregg (Manager) is dead on and always around for help. and the place has security and is locked at night with gate codes so it's safe :D

Isn't it really dear though? :P

• Advertisement

Isn't it really dear though? :P

5200 BUT if you want comfort tis worth it :p

5200 BUT if you want comfort tis worth it :p

>_>

Their site is very.. odd :P

Electricity Deposit* €300
    Utilities (electricity, refuse and T.V. license) €150

.. Awkward :P

>_>

Their site is very.. odd :P

Electricity Deposit* €300
    Utilities (electricity, refuse and T.V. license) €150

.. Awkward :P

What? I'm kinda confused :confused::p

What? I'm kinda confused :confused::p

They charge for electricity on it's own.. and then they charge for it again! :P

They charge for electricity on it's own.. and then they charge for it again! :P

Nah thats just the general deposit you put down when you confirm and book etc... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Hey Noel2k9, what course are you planning on doing? I'm asking ( not cause I'm nosy! ) because if it's something sciency you might spend more time in the Western Gate building and then that means the village, vic lodge, farranlea and Vic station are all within 5 minutes walk.

But if you're planning to do arts ( which will means a lot of time on main campus) these places are quite far away, and castle white and a few places round the glasheen/barrack street area will be better. Obviously you could have lectures in all of these places, But from what I know arts tend to be on main campus 75% of the time and then maths science, CS, biochem and some others are mostly in the Western Gate buidling.

Might be something to consider!

Hey Ricky! Im hoping to do BIS so Im not really sure how it'll be split between the Computing and Business side, but I'd imagine it'd mainly all be computing for first year!

First year BIS timetable:

http://timetable.ucc.ie:8010/reporting/individual?objectclass=programme+of+study&idtype=id&identifier=BSCI1%0D%0A&t=programme+of+study+individual&days=1-7&weeks=5-16;20-31&periods=1-20&template=programme+of+study+individual

Looks like they are on campus for everything. It's 6 a 1 half a dozen of the other to where you go like. Go where you feel comfortable and where you like. If you've time come down to Cork and even drive by the places to see what you feel best with. Ring up places and ask can you look at apts cos they will lets you. Go where you feel safe and where you feel like its a place you can call home for first year cos your gonna be scared enough as it is moving down here on your own. But quality accom comes with the extra price of walking further but tis worth it!

First year BIS timetable:

http://timetable.ucc.ie:8010/reporting/individual?objectclass=programme+of+study&idtype=id&identifier=BSCI1%0D%0A&t=programme+of+study+individual&days=1-7&weeks=5-16;20-31&periods=1-20&template=programme+of+study+individual

Looks like they are on campus for everything. It's 6 a 1 half a dozen of the other to where you go like. Go where you feel comfortable and where you like. If you've time come down to Cork and even drive by the places to see what you feel best with. Ring up places and ask can you look at apts cos they will lets you. Go where you feel safe and where you feel like its a place you can call home for first year cos your gonna be scared enough as it is moving down here on your own. But quality accom comes with the extra price of walking further but tis worth it!

Thanks! Youre a ledge. :) Yeah I must try and book viewings after the mocks, it'll probably make the choice a lot easier!

Thanks! Youre a ledge. :) Yeah I must try and book viewings after the mocks, it'll probably make the choice a lot easier!

If your seriously considering Vic Lodge mail me and I'll get pics of the apartments to you. and wherever you decide to go you'll have great fun anyway :D and bring Mom and Dad with you, parents always know best when it comes to accom.

• Advertisement

If your seriously considering Vic Lodge mail me and I'll get pics of the apartments to you. and wherever you decide to go you'll have great fun anyway :D and bring Mom and Dad with you, parents always know best when it comes to accom.

I don't think I'd apply for Vic Lodge, its just a bit too expensive for me! Thanks a million for the offer though! :) Yeah Ill make sure to bring my mam along anyway! :P

I don't think I'd apply for Vic Lodge, its just a bit too expensive for me! Thanks a million for the offer though! :) Yeah Ill make sure to bring my mam along anyway! :P

Yea no worries and good luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Hey guys!
    Just wondering does anyone know anything about victoria mills?
    Is it nice, worth money?
    Been planning on doing BIS for a good while now,also is there any accomodation complex that has a particularly high number of first year students each year,wouldn't mind paying the exta fo a year if I was in a nice place?
    I thought I heard a few people saying Brookfield is 96 a week would this be right or is it completely off?

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    Hey guys!
    Just wondering does anyone know anything about victoria mills?
    Is it nice, worth money?
    Been planning on doing BIS for a good while now,also is there any accomodation complex that has a particularly high number of first year students each year,wouldn't mind paying the exta fo a year if I was in a nice place?
    I thought I heard a few people saying Brookfield is 96 a week would this be right or is it completely off?

http://www.victoriamills.ie/

http://www.brookfieldstudentaccommodation.ie/

Brookfield and Vic Mills websites for you. All apt complexes are full of first years, just depends on how much your willing to pay and how much comfort you want etc.

Thanks man,
    Both look good especially victoria mills.
    Soory about all the questions,but do you know any places that offer free car parking,or would it be better to have a more luxurious accomodation minus the car for the year?
    Thanks for the help!

Thanks man,
    Both look good especially victoria mills.
    Soory about all the questions,but do you know any places that offer free car parking,or would it be better to have a more luxurious accomodation minus the car for the year?
    Thanks for the help!

Free car parking? Well I can tell you UCC campus accom defo don't have free car parking. Not sure about the other accom but your best bet is to ring them during the week and ask and get prices. It's really up to you about the parking but UCC will charge €300 for the year to park your car in Vic Lodge. and Vic Mills is at the ''posher'' end of the scale for student accom. Really all depends on what your looking for and how much space and comfort you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

Check out Deans Hall, I live here now. About ten mins walk up to college and a few mins into town. Beside all the bars and clubs so its good for first years!! Its really clean here and bedrooms have lots of storage space. Security is really good here too, you have a key card to get into the building and a bedroom key and there's security guards on who are fairly sound when it comes to parties and stuff. I paid 3250 for a single room in a 5 bed apartment, its more expensive for a double ensuite room or for a 3 bed apartment. Internet, rubbish collection and all that is included.

Ye, so I think i'll leave the car & put money towards nicer accomodation,
    asked around,hear the complexes charge high rates for car parking too.
    Basically,then i've an estimated 5000 max budget for accomodation next year any suggestions?

In relation to the dean's hall suggestion, I heard first year's aren't allowed unless speak fluent Irish,basically,then they may as-well have just put up a sign saying you're not alowed here!

Basically,then i've an estimated 5000 max budget for accomodation next year any suggestions?

In relation to the dean's hall suggestion, I heard first year's aren't allowed unless speak fluent Irish,basically,then they may as-well have just put up a sign saying you're not alowed here!

Victoria Lodge is 5200 for the year. The Student Village is nice, very big apartments and nice inside and top notch security (which can be a pain for parties etc :p) is under 5000. Vic Mills is expensive enough I've heard but the apartments are HUGE. Farranlea is alright from what I've heard, dont know much about it tbh. Castlewhite isnt the greatest student accom in the world. Brookfield is like Castlewhite from rumours I've heard.

Check all these websites out and any more questions you know where to find me :D

• Advertisement

Thats University Hall, not Deans Hall. Afaik Deans Hall is supposed to be very bleak..

Advertisement