Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sábháil Ár dTeanga-Save Our Language

Options
  • 18-01-2011 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Dia dhaoibh go léir a chairde.Séasán Ó Riabhaigh is ainm dom.

Yes-I know that this topic seems unimportant compared to the country's economic state and the financial cesspit we are all in now.But I'd just like to touch on something else which is disappearing before our very eyes-our language,Gaeilge.

I've always loved Irish.It is an ancient language,it is a beautiful language,and more importantly,it is OUR language.It says so much about who we are.But sadly,the number of people interested in Irish is dwindling fast,particularly in schools,which in the long run will result in less and less teachers of Gaeilge.

Should we all do our bit to keep this language alive,before it becomes a thing of the past?And should the people who run this country be doing a lot more in order to generate interest?

I'd really like to hear your views and opinions.

Go raibh míle maith agaibh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Preachin' to the choir here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

The numbers aren't dwindling, the language isn't dying. I'm not delusional or anything but Irish is becoming more popular. There are more Gaelscoileanna now than ever. Irish adult classes are packed in Dublin at the moment because more people want to learn it and speak it.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

Seasan wrote: »
    Should we all do our bit to keep this language alive...?

Would you like to make some suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

Tá fadhb mór againn í rith na lae inniú gan dabht leis an dteanga.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Do chuala beirt ban ag caint as Gaeilge ar an traein ó Gabhal Luimnigh go Luimneach inniu. Bhí siad go hiomlán ar a suimhneas agus an comhrá eatarthu chomh nádúrtha is gurb fhéidir a bheith. Níor chuir aon duine isteach orthu. Ach cheapas go raibh sé go deas an teanga a cloisteáil in áit mar sin. Dá ndéanfaimis go léir an rud céanna tá seans go dtarlódh cineál normálú ar an Ghaeilge lasmuigh de na ceantair Ghaeltachta.

I heard two women speaking in Irish on the train from Limerick Junction to Limerick today. They were totally relaxed and the chat between them was as natural as it could possibly be. Nobody bothered them. I just thought it was nice to hear the language in a situation like that. If we all did the same thing, a kind of [noparse]normalization[/noparse] of Irish outside of the Gaeltachts might be possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Leto wrote: »
    Would you like to make some suggestions?

Myself,personally,I speak as Gaeilge as often as I can,especially in the supermarket which I work in with customers and staff who share any little bit of interest.So what I'm saying is I'm hoping that a lot more of us can use as much or as little Irish we have,as often as possible.I'm about to enroll for Irish classes myself in a recently re-opened Conradh na Gaeilge building in my hometown,because I really want to study Irish again and improve;hopefully they will be running evening classes also,for my own convenience.

Have you any other ideas,coz I'm interested in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

Myself,personally,I speak as Gaeilge as often as I can,especially in the supermarket which I work in with customers and staff who share any little bit of interest.So what I'm saying is I'm hoping that a lot more of us can use as much or as little Irish we have,as often as possible.I'm about to enroll for Irish classes myself in a recently re-opened Conradh na Gaeilge building in my hometown,because I really want to study Irish again and improve;hopefully they will be running evening classes also,for my own convenience.

Have you any other ideas,coz I'm interested in all.

I think you've got the right approach - a bit of casual interaction as Gaeilge with anyone who's interested can only help to normalise, as Insect Overlord put it, the use of Irish outside "expected" areas. I'd use it sometimes with a couple of friends who I know have some interest and a willingness to practice, but I can't say I've ever initiated an Irish conversation with anyone I didn't know. Maybe that should be my next step!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

I would love to speak Irish outside of school but none of my friends (with the exception of one or two ) know a lot of it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

I think you've got the right approach - a bit of casual interaction as Gaeilge with anyone who's interested can only help to normalise, as Insect Overlord put it, the use of Irish outside "expected" areas. I'd use it sometimes with a couple of friends who I know have some interest and a willingness to practice, but I can't say I've ever initiated an Irish conversation with anyone I didn't know. Maybe that should be my next step!

Sin an fáth a mba an-smaointe é an fáinne, i mo thuairim féin, ach níl sé á chaitheamh ag daoine níos mó, is mór an trua é sin

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Caithim an fáinne chomh minic agus is féidir liom. :) Nílim ach 22 bhlian d'aois ach an oiread.

• Advertisement

I can't say I've ever initiated an Irish conversation with anyone I didn't know.

I'd be exactly the same,because sadly,nearly 9 times out of 10 they would not understand what we were saying.This is where the problem lies.

But I find it very encouraging in itself the fact that so many of us here are sharing the common interest.

Ar ais leis an fáinne! If it could take over the way the 'Livestrong' Band campaign did cúpla bhlian ó shin, it could help the vitality of the language, in an inexpensive but priceless way...dar liomsa.

Ar ais leis an fáinne! If it could take over the way the 'Livestrong' Band campaign did cúpla bhlian ó shin, it could help the vitality of the language, in an inexpensive but priceless way...dar liomsa.

An ceart agat.

Agus nach mór an trua é nach mbíonn Seachtain na Gaeilge ar siúl gach seachtain,nó gach coicís ar a laghad.

an-smaointe, bheadh banda go hiontach, bheadh sé saor agus faiseanta agus is féidir an t-airgead a dhul chun gaelscoileanna cosúil le Rath Tó nó aon ceann eile nach bhfuil aon mhaoiniú ón rialtas aige

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I have been trying to get back into it. I picked up a book called Teach Yourself Irish which seems to be decent, particularly at explaining the grammar, which I always struggled with. I have been reading it and doing exercises for an hour or so each night. My progress is slow but I want to learn. I think I need to take up a class or join a group because I really struggle at trying to construct sentences naturally but I hope I can get there eventually.

I have been trying to get back into it. I picked up a book called Teach Yourself Irish which seems to be decent, particularly at explaining the grammar, which I always struggled with. I have been reading it and doing exercises for an hour or so each night. My progress is slow but I want to learn. I think I need to take up a class or join a group because I really struggle at trying to construct sentences naturally but I hope I can get there eventually.

Have you checked this thread out
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056150613

I've used TYI and it's quite good and easy to follow.
    Don't be afraid to write in Irish here, people will help and correct it if you want them to

Perhaps a Band idea as a 21st Century alternative to the Fáinne would be a good initiative. I wonder has it ever been put to 'Foras na Gaeilge' or whatever organization is in charge of the promotion of the theanga!

Ceist bheag agam daoibh.

Can anybody tell me how I can have the fadas included in my username,because it really should be "Séasán".I have tried logging in using the fadas,but all that shows in my posts is "Seasan".

Míle buíochas libh.

Ceist bheag agam daoibh.

Can anybody tell me how I can have the fadas included in my username,because it really should be "Séasán".I have tried logging in using the fadas,but all that shows in my posts is "Seasan".

Míle buíochas libh.

I believe that changes to the site's data-base have resulted in "special characters" no longer being available for use in user-names.
    For example, I believe a former admin called Hullabaloo used to go by Hullabalú, but had to change it due to technical difficulties in how the site works.

In short, ní obróidh an síniú fada id ainm. Tá brón orm!

I believe that changes to the site's data-base have resulted in "special characters" no longer being available for use in user-names.
    For example, I believe a former admin called Hullabaloo used to go by Hullabalú, but had to change it due to technical difficulties in how the site works.

Á,is mór an trua é sin mar bhreathnódh sé alán níos fearr leis an litriú a bheadh i gceart.

Ach ar aon nós,go raibh míle maith agat as do fhreagairt.

• Advertisement

tá fadanna agamsa i m'ainm

Crosáidí wrote: »
    tá fadanna agamsa i m'ainm

B'fhéidir gur tharla an t-athrú tar éis an lá a phioc tú d'ainm.
    An bhfuil tú páirteach in aon "private forums"? Ná tabhair an ainm dom má tá! :p
    Ach, ceapaim go mbíonn deacrachtaí "access permissions" a thabhairt do dhaoine atá carachtair speisialta ina nainmneacha fós.

As well as the methods mentioned,i.e. the Teach Yourself Irish book and also the suggestions mentioned by Crosáidí,you should also avail of any Irish classes which might be taking place in your area.These classes should cover all levels of Irish,and it will always help to be part of a class or group who are learning the same thing.I've signed up for Irish classes in my hometown because I want to greatly improve on what I have also.

I've signed up for Irish classes in my hometown because I want to greatly improve on what I have also.

But the bad news is that now I can only hope and pray that a significant number of other people will also join up-in order for it to be possible for these classes to actually go ahead.

B'fhéidir gur tharla an t-athrú tar éis an lá a phioc tú d'ainm.
    An bhfuil tú páirteach in aon "private forums"? Ná tabhair an ainm dom má tá! :p
    Ach, ceapaim go mbíonn deacrachtaí "access permissions" a thabhairt do dhaoine atá carachtair speisialta ina nainmneacha fós.

Más féidir liom m'ainm a úsáid ins an private forums, ní scriobhfaidh mé iontu
    Is aoibhinn liom an síneadh fada, Is rí é an fada, fada abú. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Deas liom an smaoineamh faoin mbanda. Bhíodh fáinne agam thart fá deich mbliain ó shin, ach maraon le gach duine eile tá sé caillte agam anois. Bheadh banda níos oiriúiní, agus ní bheadh sé chomh fiddly-áilte! An mbíonn costas ard orthú de ghnáth? Sílim gur chosain fáinne 5 euro nó mar sin de.

Sílim go bhfuil fadhb bheag ann í rith na lae inniú faoi an fáinne, Tá sé sean fhaiseanta do dhaoine óige.. Ag an am, Bhí rud maith é agus thug sé cabhair leis an dteanga a labhairt.
    AnOis, Ceapaim go bhfuil rud éigean (mar shampla an band) ar bhfad níos fearr do na laethanta atá againn anseo.. An bhfuil Comhairle ag éinne chun rud seó a dheanamh? Smaointe ar bith, inis duinn!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Cá háit ar an chorp a bhfeicfeá an banda?

caol na láimhe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Go raibh maith agat.
    Tá sin siosmaideach agus furast a láimhseáil.

Advertisement