Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU multimedia

Options
  • 16-01-2011 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

just wondering if there is anyone on here doing/has done this course B.Sc. in Multimedia, I have researched it but would be nice to hear more from the student side of things..,like what the course involves, thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nekro Man

hi musicloverx

i'm in my final year of Multimedia, any questions you have dont hesitate to ask here on drop me a PM if you fancy

what do you hope to achieve from the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

S'up, I'm a second year
    you'll have to be a bit more specific with questions. What are you interested in?
    what are you looking for in a course?
    Its good that your doing research as dropouts are usually a result of people not knowing what their getting into.
    Lots of questions can be answered on the site, like the list of subjects here

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

I'm a first year! Give us some questions, we'll give you some answers.

Piece of Advice #1 - Don't be one of those people who don't actually do any work. As of last month, our class as a whole has had enough of those, and so far one person did not get their names put on a project in any fashion, as he did no work then failed to turn up for any meetings. As far as I am aware, he will have to repeat the module now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

slasher_65 wrote: »
    I'm a first year! Give us some questions, we'll give you some answers.

Piece of Advice #1 - Don't be one of those people who don't actually do any work. As of last month, our class as a whole has had enough of those, and so far one person did not get their names put on a project in any fashion, as he did no work then failed to turn up for any meetings. As far as I am aware, he will have to repeat the module now.

Meow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭musicloverx

thanks for the advice guys,got some information on the course today from my careers advisor, think journalism is more likey but does sound a good course, if i've any more questions I'll pm:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

Diarmsquid wrote: »
    Meow

Hey, nothing to do with my group. And while I consider it to be a LIIIIIITLE bit... heavy handed on the part of the other group-members, I can understand why they did it, considering he did no work, didn't show up to meetings and didn't even show up on the day that they all agreed they would meet up to sign off on the project.

To the OP; If you are interested in this kind of thing (creating different types of media) then this course will be a joy. I will be working on a project, sit back and have the realization that THIS is what I'm doing for College. It's a lot of work, but it is GREAT fun That happens weekly. If you can find a course that suits you like that, you are a lucky lucky person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I applied for Multimedia next year as well. Is it a very difficult course? Is there lots of projects and/or exams?

i'm in 3rd year and facing into my last semester in DCU, i've had to sit one exam, in 2nd year, and that was it.

there was a module this semester that had an exam but apart from that it's all project work.

Nekro Man wrote: »
    i'm in 3rd year and facing into my last semester in DCU, i've had to sit one exam, in 2nd year, and that was it.

there was a module this semester that had an exam but apart from that it's all project work.

Thanks Nekro Man. What are the projects like?

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Thanks Nekro Man. What are the projects like?

not too bad, depends on the year and the module.

for example in first year imaging we had to use old film cameras and develop them ourselves etc, second year audio I had to record a cover of a song, shoot and edit a music video for it and this year I had to write a 3000-4000 word essay on media theory, they start of easy enough in first year, but as your skill base grows you will be asked to do more and more but once you reach 3rd year 3000-4000 words is a breeze :P

there is a nice mix of group and solo work, that doesn't mean you will always be marked as a group, some group projects have you being marked as an individual and getting results based on what you contributed to the project.

And if all else fails and you find it's too much you can talk to your lecturers, they will always be there to give you a hand if you'r in need of it

• Advertisement

not too bad, depends on the year and the module.

for example in first year imaging we had to use old film cameras and develop them ourselves etc, second year audio I had to record a cover of a song, shoot and edit a music video for it and this year I had to write a 3000-4000 word essay on media theory, they start of easy enough in first year, but as your skill base grows you will be asked to do more and more but once you reach 3rd year 3000-4000 words is a breeze :P

there is a nice mix of group and solo work, that doesn't mean you will always be marked as a group, some group projects have you being marked as an individual and getting results based on what you contributed to the project.

And if all else fails and you find it's too much you can talk to your lecturers, they will always be there to give you a hand if you'r in need of it

Thanks again Nekro Man. Thanks for giving me an idea how the course is like. Hopefully I'll be accepted and be able to do the course.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Thanks again Nekro Man. Thanks for giving me an idea how the course is like. Hopefully I'll be accepted and be able to do the course.

no worries, any more questions you have drop me a PM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Omega28

Hi all

I'm considering doing this course myself, sounds like a very interesting course. I'll be going through the mature entry route.

Just a few questions to you guys and girls that are doing the course at the moment

1. What do you hope to do when you finish up?

2. What software are you guys using for imaging and audio?

3. Whats the workload like? I'v just done a FETAC full time course since I finished school 6 yrs ago so I'm just trying to see if i'll be able for it.

4. How many hours a week is the course?

5. Do you require any books/materials for the course?

6. Is there many mature students in your class?

7. How many hours studying do you do outside the course? if any :D

thanks for taking the time to answer these questions

:)

Hey, I'll attempt to answer but you probably want to get a few opinions.
    I'm in my second year now.
    1. At the moment I hope to do visual effects / web design, film making, whatever I feel I get best at.
    2. For Imaging 1, in first year they went over the basics of Photoshop (CS4) with us. Most of this people teach themselves though, along with illustrator sometimes. For Audio we used Pro Tools. In most subjects we only get taught the basics of a program mostly, any more we teach ourselves. In second year you choose between Imaging, Audio, and Video to continue, I chose video.
    3. Its quite a workload, but only when the assignments are due. rest of the time I'd say its less than most courses. I did a fetac course in multimedia before this, that was a lot less than this.
    4. In first year I have maybe 15 hours a week. This year both semesters only 12 hours a week. Usually at least one day a week off.
    5. Books, not so much, I bought 1, not one else really has. Lots of people have laptops gotten laptops, particularly a mac.
    6. Theres about 3-4 mature students in mine. They get on fine.
    7. Hmm, study not so much, this isn't about learning things off by heart. I have one exam next week, on TV drama and its probably the only one ill ever have. We research for essays and assignments, learn to use software. Thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Omega28

thanks alot Noodleworm! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my Q's

It seems like its more of a hands on course, rather than a course that's full of theory and tests each week, would that be a correct assumption to make?

I like how you have a choice between imaging, video and audio and the fact you can choose one.

15 hours a week is perfect! and one day a week off is excellent!

Do u do much web design?

Also, Do you do any graphic design?

Yeah, it defiantly hands on, you need to be prepared for this, much less tests, few essays, Lots of group work and you want to be comfortable with spending a long time in front of a computer. (around end of semester assignment due dates I've spent entire days in those mac labs).

We did web as a subject for the second semester of first year, thats the basics, and you go off and learn more to make your own site. It gets integrated into other subjects after that. Same with graphic design, we've covered the history of graphic design, and a bit of theory on graphic design, typography and art, luckily not tested on it.
    Really most people agree you teach yourself the majority of stuff you want to do. You have to want to do this stuff as a hobby / in your free time. You defiantly learn skills to contribute to it, and you'll get opportunity to show off what you teach yourself in your projects, but no ones going to make you do anything.

For example I just made a stop motion animation, no one told me how to, except a 10 mins demo of one of the pieces of software, we just did it.

edit: Oh if you wanna practice graphic design, become PRO of a society, couple people in my class have had that job, with music soc, photo soc etc...

Thanks Noodleworm. I greatly appreciate the information you provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 9887

Hi Guys, I know that this thread is a few years old but if you wouldn't mind telling me about your over all impressions of the course now that I assume you're finished? I'm hoping to attend in September and was just wondering if you think its a good degree and what you made of the course? And realistic possible careers now you've been through it all? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sarahguitar92

9887 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I know that this thread is a few years old but if you wouldn't mind telling me about your over all impressions of the course now that I assume you're finished? I'm hoping to attend in September and was just wondering if you think its a good degree and what you made of the course? And realistic possible careers now you've been through it all? Thanks!

I've just finished my final year and overall I really enjoyed it. Yes there were a couple of filler modules which I didn't enjoy, but I think nearly every course is going to have those. The most important thing to know is that if you really put the work in, you'll get a lot out of it. As for careers, it really depends what you're into, but I knew a lot of people who were into the design and video production aspects and seem to be getting jobs in those areas now. I personally am most into audio and will be starting a Masters in Radio soon.

If you're into either audio or video, I'd recommend joining the Media Production Society which has DCUfm and DCUtv. It's a great way to get practical experience outside of the course.

Basically if media production is really what you want to do, it's a great degree to have. There are so many areas to choose from, you can try them all and see what your strengths are.

I hope that helps, if you've any more questions about it feel free to ask!

I personally am most into audio and will be starting a Masters in Radio soon

where are you doing the masters?

• Advertisement

where are you doing the masters?

I'm doing it at Bournemouth University.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 9887

Thanks Sarah! Yeah I think I'd be into the design and video but looking forward to trying it all. CAO is all closed now so here's hoping I get it! Good luck with the masters :)

Thanks, best of luck with your offers!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 DS2

What are the job prospects from the BSc in Multimedia, Is it a requirement to do the masters?

DS2 wrote: »
    What are the job prospects from the BSc in Multimedia, Is it a requirement to do the masters?
    No, The Masters is not required at all. I originally thought I would do it, but If I had I would have started the same subjects all over again, the Masters in basically the same course squished into one year, and in less detail.

There is really no need to do a masters in this field unless you plan on doing something academic. Its a very practical field and your portfolio showcasing whatever you create will be your most important asset when looking for work.

Me:
    I graduated in 2012. I currently work in a large software company helping to create video demo's for specific customer and internal training videos. My classes in script writing and video production, and animation particularly were relevant to this, but I've also found use for graphic design and programming and web design. I'm looking to move internally to do more User Interface Design.

Other people:
    Look through LinkedIn for graduates of courses to know what they did.
    I know one guy from my year who works here too. but he's doing more of a programming/interface design combination. I believe he did programming courses after college. Some people are in Marketing, Some in post production companies, some graphic desogners. Some went and did more computer science based work because that's more lucrative.

Here is the list of subjects currently taught on the course with a description of each and information on where the marks go in each subject, such as if its an exam or a project.

Thanks for that - very helpful
    I will review linkedin as you say

To add about the masters: One problem of this course is that its very broad and there simply are no masters in Ireland on subjects that will help you to narrow it down. With most Arts Subjects you do a bachelors and carry on with a masters, But in Multimedia fields I tend to find they are usually aimed at giving new skills to people in unrelated friends. Thats whats happening in DCU's Multimedia masters.

If you want further study you might be able to go abroad. I did consider some visual effects courses in England.
    But if you already know which are of multimedia you like I would say study that, Not multimedia. Much better to focus in and gain a higher level of skill.

If you really don't know what you want to do and want to experience it all - then this course is good. But realize that you might need to get further training, or spend a lot of time building up your portfolio later.

It took me a good while to get my first job after college (about 2 years), that was in part because I didn't know what area I wanted to go into, and so I was really spreading out all the projects I was working on. I graduated with a first class honors, but I really found experience and portfolio was what I needed. I did a bunch of interviews where I was told I interviewed great but other candidates were more experiences.
    Look for runner positions and internships over the summer if you can.

That's a great help thanks will review the information

• Registered Users Posts: 1 K898

Hi, I just got accepted into the multimedia course and was wondering what kind of laptop (if any) I should buy? Do I need to spend a load of money on a powerful laptop or is an affordable everyday one sufficient? Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Parker19

K898 wrote: »
    Hi, I just got accepted into the multimedia course and was wondering what kind of laptop (if any) I should buy? Do I need to spend a load of money on a powerful laptop or is an affordable everyday one sufficient? Thanks :)

Hey I got accepted too into this years Multimedia course. I myself bought a relativly cheap laptop at €350. 8GB of Ram 1TB HDD. I spoke to a former student who told me the laptop must run Adobe Suite

Advertisement