Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭nerd69

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Fergie had other reasons to dislike him aside from being successful, tbf. He was also a bully and a very sore loser at times. Brady is a class act in comparison (at least how he conducts himself in public). Likewise, A-Rod has been popped for cheating how many times now?

Brady and James seem on their own for drawing ire purely on the back of their success (though I don't follow NBA too closely, James has only ever appeared very classy when I've seen him).

I even remember talking to a Pats fan a few years ago (around the time he had that knee injury) and he hated Brady; thought Bledsoe should never have been thrown out, and loathed how Brady rehabbed his injury in California with, as he put it, "the broad"

to be fair that fan is just a ****ing idiot.

ya i see what you mean about fergie but i think people would look at him the same regardless

the fact stands though i dont think anyone bar the odd idiot actually hates brady there just jealous of his success.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,093 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

nerd69 wrote: »
    to be fair that fan is just a ****ing idiot.

ya i see what you mean about fergie but i think people would look at him the same regardless

the fact stands though i dont think anyone bar the odd idiot actually hates brady there just jealous of his success.

Oh there's no doubt he was a curious Bean towner indeed. Said he'd also support the Falcons against the Pats because of 'Matty Ice' (his words).

Jealousy is certainly the only logical explanation to dislike Brady on anything I've ever seen or read of the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

TO might as well be reading my mind on Manning and Brady, because he sums it up perfectly for me. Maybe not so much from the media, but I often think some of the jealously/hate from some quarters stems from basic human nature. Let's face Brady puts most male models to shame, he happens to have a supermodel wife on his arm, who is also a Billionairess btw. And they live in multiple mansions. And a lot of people are just simple jealous of success.

The hate overlooks the fact that Brady was an after thought, a 199th draft pick. A kid who made himself into a legend by a sheer will to win. If you read 'The Blueprint', there's a part in it from Robert Kraft speaking about a brief meeting he had with the 22 year old Brady....
    “I still have the image of Tom Brady coming down the old Foxboro stadium steps with that pizza box under his arm, a skinny beanpole, and when he introduced himself to me and said ‘Hi Mr. Kraft,’ he was about to say who he was, but I said ‘I know who you are, you’re Tom Brady. You’re our sixth round draft choice,’” recalled Kraft. “And he looked me in the eye and said ‘I’m the best decision this organization has ever made.’ It looks like he could be right.”

The belief, the confidence, the will and hunger to win. People often forget where he came and how he earned greatness. As nerd69 pointed out, people often just simply hate successful teams. Man United being a prime example that he mentioned in his post. The Pats ran out as a team after 9/11 and were the darling boys of America. They snubbed individual superstar call outs like most teams do and they came out as one. But people are fickle and quickly forget.

They forgot how the Pats were once pitied and were for a long time regarded as the unluckiest team in the NFL. Christ they couldn't even get the toilets working properly in the old Foxboro even by the time it closed. A joke of a franchise in the waning Sullivan years, became the model franchise when our beloved Mr. Kraft took over. Thankfully the haters are vastly outnumbered by the admirers out there. But all the haters do for me is, tell me Brady and the Pats are continuing to do something right.

im pretty sure kraft thought he was kyle brady if i remember correctly

im pretty sure kraft thought he was kyle brady if i remember correctly

You are right and it was Brady who mentioned the 'Kyle' part in this video....

The quote I gave came directly from page 192 of 'The Blueprint' which was published in 2007. Robert didn't mention the 'Kyle' part when recalling that meeting.

• Advertisement

hehe im proud of that one :D not even my team

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UZTGJKnwIu8#

Hope the above video works. Think it shows what a sound guy brady is. Even turtle out of entourage liked brady when he met him!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

The way I look at Brady and Manning is that if you were having a draft of all available players these would still be the first two guys off the board. Manning's post-season body of work obviously leaves something to be desired but his consistency in getting his teams to 12 wins pretty much every year speaks for itself. Brady has always found a way to win whether it was with defence early in his career, a strong running game or the explosive Moss/Welker offence and recently the twin TE system. His adaptability is fantastic but both guys are total grinders who work 24/7 on their craft. I love the likes of Luck and Wilson but I wish the media would give them time to grow before they anoint them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Brady and James seem on their own for drawing ire purely on the back of their success (though I don't follow NBA too closely, James has only ever appeared very classy when I've seen him).

I know this is ot but James did have "The Decision" which was kinda bad (think he even admitted that he regretted it) and iirc there was a time where he tried to embrace his role as a villain (at least I vaguely remember a PTI piece about some of his tweets to that effect). But you're right, the fact that he is ****ing awesome has really shown in the last few years (this in particular).

Lads it truly is the end of an era, our beloved and legendary Scar is retiring.:(

What Bill said..
    "Dante Scarnecchia is a Patriot and NFL legend who defied the phrase 'not for long,'" Patriots coach Bill Belichick said in a statement Wednesday. "In an industry of constant change, Dante remained a fixture here for the simple reason that he helped every player reach his highest potential, regardless of whom he was, how he was acquired or how much raw talent he had.

In whatever category a coach can be assessed -- evaluator, teacher, motivator, problem solver, disciplinarian, team player, winner -- Dante is as good as it gets. As many games as he helped us win and as much as we would like to work with Dante forever, we are blessed with the opportunity to have been with him as long as we were."

What Rob said...
    "Dante Scarnecchia has been the only coaching constant since I purchased the team in 1994," Patriots chairman and CEO Robert Kraft said in a statement. "Not coincidentally, he retires as the only coach to have been a part of all seven Super Bowl teams in Patriots franchise history. I want to thank Dante for his leadership, professionalism and always putting the team first.

"For as long as I have known him, he was always the first to arrive in the morning and among the last to leave. He didn't demand respect from his players. He earned it. I loved watching Dante lead by example, especially when he would run stride for stride with his players during their conditioning runs. He was a coach who always stressed technique and fundamentals and helped players reach their full potential. At training camp, his colorful, constructive, coaching critiques made him a fan favorite. His presence on the Patriots sidelines will be missed by our coaches, players and fans alike."

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/10334546/dante-scarnecchia-long-new-england-patriots-offensive-line-coach-retiring?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Dante coached our legendary John Hannah, that's how long he's been coaching with us. Truly a sad day for the franchise and us fans. Coach Scarnecchia was a gifted OL Coach. A man that could not only turn sand into gold, but he did it for 30 years.

• Advertisement

And the new OL Coach is Dave DeGuglielmo, wait for it......a guy who was named as the Jets OL Coach in 2012 and was fired by them 2013. Personally I know nothing about him but this is his CV summary.......

6he3R5.jpg

So basically he was the Jets OL Coach when this happened......

5tBays.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

And the new OL Coach is Dave DeGuglielmo, wait for it......a guy who was named as the Jets OL Coach in 2012 and was fired by them 2013. Personally I know nothing about him but this is his CV summary.......

Well he thought Wayne Hunter was class, should I leave it at that!

Havin said that the Jets o-line was ranked 3rd in the league according to PFF in 2012

Some more details on the new OL Coach Dave DeGuglielmo..

DeGuglielmo joined the Giants in 2004 as the assistant offensive line/quality control coach before being elevated to assistant offensive line coach in 2005. During his tenure, the Giants were one of only four NFL teams to have put together a 4.0-yard average per rush attempt or better in each of those four seasons. In 2008, the Giants led the league and established a franchise record with 2,518 rushing yards and 5.0 yards per carry.

He joined the Miami Dolphins staff on Jan. 15, 2009 and served three seasons as the offensive line coach. Under DeGuglielmo's guidance, the Dolphins' offensive line blocked for a running game that gained 1,987 yards in 2011 and produced Reggie Bush's first career 1,000-yard season. Following three seasons in Miami, Deguglielmo spent the 2012 season as the offensive line coach for the New York Jets.

Before entering the NFL coaching ranks, DeGuglielmo spent five seasons (1999-2003) under Hall of Fame coach Lou Holtz at the University of South Carolina working with the offensive line and tight ends. He began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Boston College (1991-92) before moving to his alma mater, Boston University (1993-96) and then the University of Connecticut (1997-98). A native of Lexington, Mass., DeGuglielmo was a four-year letter-winning offensive lineman at Boston University (1987-90), while playing both guard and center

http://www.patriots.com/news/article-1/Dante-Scarnecchia-to-retire-Dave-DeGuglielmo-named-new-Offensive-Line-Coach/367f62a4-b7e3-40e7-b840-85b92291231a

Scar retiring is seismic for me, in fact the only thing bigger would be Bill stepping down. I don't think anyone could possibly fill his shoes, but I sure hope this new guy can do a good job trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Some more details on the new OL Coach Dave DeGuglielmo..

http://www.patriots.com/news/article-1/Dante-Scarnecchia-to-retire-Dave-DeGuglielmo-named-new-Offensive-Line-Coach/367f62a4-b7e3-40e7-b840-85b92291231a

Scar retiring is seismic for me, in fact the only thing bigger would be Bill stepping down. I don't think anyone could possibly fill his shoes, but I sure hope this new guy can do a good job trying.

One of my neighbors and friends here who is a local college HC was in school with DeGuglielmo and I am sure he still knows and talks to him. I must ask him what he is like as a coach next time I talk to him.

TO. wrote: »
    One of my neighbors and friends here who is a local college HC was in school with DeGuglielmo and I am sure he still knows and talks to him. I must ask him what he is like as a coach next time I talk to him.

Nice one and keep us posted. I'm glad to see he also played at Guard and Center himself. I know being a former player is not a prerequisite to being a successful Coach, but it's something that I always like to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Fergie had other reasons to dislike him aside from being successful, tbf. He was also a bully and a very sore loser at times. Brady is a class act in comparison (at least how he conducts himself in public). Likewise, A-Rod has been popped for cheating how many times now?

I even remember talking to a Pats fan a few years ago (around the time he had that knee injury) and he hated Brady; thought Bledsoe should never have been thrown out, and loathed how Brady rehabbed his injury in California with, as he put it, "the broad"

In fairness you can't really compare a manager to a player. Fergie did 100% what he had to to benefit his team. Respectable in its own way.
    As for Lebron, the decision, as someone pointed out, was a big part of the reason. He left his hometown small market team to form a galacticos in "south beach" as he put it. Not cool.

Any update TO. on DeGuglielmo?

Any update TO. on DeGuglielmo?

They are good friends. Will be having dinner with Coach over the next couple of weeks so I will be sure to get the low down. He said though he will be a good fit for the Pats.

Sad to see Scarnecchia retire but what a phenomenal servant he has been to the team. I do think we will be ok they. Plenty of good O-line coaches out there including DeGuglielmo

They are good friends. Will be having dinner with Coach over the next couple of weeks so I will be sure to get the low down. He said though he will be a good fit for the Pats.

Sad to see Scarnecchia retire but what a phenomenal servant he has been to the team. I do think we will be ok they. Plenty of good O-line coaches out there including DeGuglielmo

Ya he does seem to have done a good solid job where he has been beforehand. Makes you wonder though, if the players knew Scar was retiring, did that affect their performance this season. Because they certainly were very poor at times throughout the season.

The draft, FA, contract extensions/reworkings, contract offers, the franchise tag, the O line, the offense, the defense, positives from 2013 season, negatives from the 2013, what we need for 2014, Gronk going forward. Yes there's a lot to talk about to fill in the end of season void, but if the last week is anything to go by, it looks like I'll be talking to myself.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The draft, FA, contract extensions/reworkings, contract offers, the franchise tag, the O line, the offense, the defense, positives from 2013 season, negatives from the 2013, what we need for 2014, Gronk going forward. Yes there's a lot to talk about to fill in the end of season void, but if the last week is anything to go by, it looks like I'll be talking to myself.:(

Ill talk to ya when work settles down a bit again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Tis weird, but i skirt around/avoid the in-depth talk as im too out of my knowledge level of the game so far. Know that i am wiki'ing and googling the people you post about! ha

Ya wouldnt mind a 3 month gap but 7/8 months...pah

kryogen wrote: »
    Ill talk to ya when work settles down a bit again :)

Hurry it up.:pac:

BKWDR wrote: »
    Tis weird, but i skirt around/avoid the in-depth talk as im too out of my knowledge level of the game so far. Know that i am wiki'ing and googling the people you post about! ha

You shouldn't let that put you off ffs. You're a Pats fan, that's all that matters here.

Most important thing for me Is grab a wr/receiving te ( or several) in fa/the draft an Eric Ebron and Jeremy Maclin for example and the pats are a powerhouse again

Im up to my eyes with stuff and am close to my data limit on my phone. Going to be here one day gone the next or posting short posts for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Was there any apart from all the injuries?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

TaosHum wrote: »
    Was there any apart from all the injuries?

small matter of some lad committing murders!

bedrocks of the coaching staff leaving.

Bradys top target leaving and now in the superbowl.

and not winning the superbowl.

why did you depress me again!!! :(

Most important thing for me Is grab a wr/receiving te ( or several) in fa/the draft an Eric Ebron and Jeremy Maclin for example and the pats are a powerhouse again

Absolutely, we need a TE. I would love to add a bigger WR like like our 6'3" Dobson as insurance. But that's unlikely to happen unless FA brings something up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Given the off-field issues (receivers who left or ended up in jail) and then the early season injuries (and later with Gronk), it really was an excellent coaching performance to get to 12:4 and go 1:1 in the play offs.

We've a lot to do this off season (draft, free agency), but signs are still positive for next season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement